Bangkok Bank no New Accounts

Went to Bangkok Bank in Chumpae yesterday to open a new account to simplify transfers from the US.  They said they're not creating new accounts right now because of the Pandemic.  It took the lady a long time to tell us that.  I don't speak any Thai, so my wife was doing the listening.  Is it just me?  Is it just Farangs?  Is it just Chumpae?  Is it just Bangkok Bank, or is it every bank?  We're going to try again in Khon Kaen next week.  Anyone else run into this?

• Confused 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jerno said:

Utter stupidity by the bank. Maybe just a lazy Teller who didn't want to be bothered.  Should have spoken to the Manager.  The more clients the bank has the better for them.

We'll try it again in Khon Kaen.  We set one up there years ago, but as a joint account they couldn't offer online access.  We closed it a year later.  I need to be able to access it from the US at tax time.  

12 hours ago, tuktuktuk said:

They said they're not creating new accounts right now because of the Pandemic. 

That could be true of branch or even a temp directive as we seem to be in another 'circle the wagons' due to the new covid scare.   

1 hour ago, tuktuktuk said:

No.  They never got anywhere near asking anything about me.

I suspected so.

I can confirm - Kasikorn Bank Headquarters at Phaholyothin Road can open a savings a/c without a Work Permit.

Alternatively, U.O.B Thai opens without a Work Permit for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I wish you success. Let us know  how you get on.

I will.  Might try Monday.  It was an odd encounter.  I don't know for sure what was said, but my wife was not happy.  When it's like that she usually doesn't say much.

2 minutes ago, tuktuktuk said:

I will.  Might try Monday.  It was an odd encounter.  I don't know for sure what was said, but my wife was not happy.  When it's like that she usually doesn't say much.

I opened my yellow bank account with a hotel room address and my BB account with my immigration  agent.

Just now, tuktuktuk said:

It figures!  My credit union in New Orleans is open from 9 to 11 and 1 to 3 and closed on Wednesdays.  Since I moved away it hasn't been an issue.

Though it my cause  outrage amongst  the Puritans and the PC  brigade on this forum I recommend  you use an agent. Just get it done no messing  about..

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Though it my cause  outrage amongst  the Puritans and the PC  brigade on this forum I recommend  you use an agent. Just get it done no messing  about..

I didn't even know such a thing existed.  Not a bad idea.  I suppose it's pretty cheap.  Getting things done here can require incredible persistence.  

8 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

An agent in Chumpae?   Not exactly a foreigner hotspot.  

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, tuktuktuk said:

I sort of figured that.  It never got far enough for me to identify myself as an American, but they can tell.  People almost never ask where I'm from.  They ask if I'm an American.

Probably the "I LOVE NEW YORK" tank top you were wearing? Just saying.... ????

• Haha 1