Travel agency TUI receives more criticism after Norwegian family was isolated in Thailand

webfact

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Sorry, but I think when travelling for  holiday in the middle of a pandemic you should be reading and investigating the situation more fully yourself and not relying on 'we got the impression'

Exactly. I'm sick of people pinning the blame on everyone except themselves. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

A Norwegian family’s Christmas holiday in Thailand has turned into a covid-19 nightmare after their 9-year-old son tested positive upon arrival in the country and the family was placed in isolation at a local hospital. Although it is fairly known that Thailand has strict measures in place in regards to positive cases, the family says that they had not been informed by the travel company TUI that they risked 10 days in isolation at a hospital if they became infected with covid-19.

But widely known if they bothered to do a little research themselves.

Som nam na

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Perhaps, but also about people never ever following rules. A hotel is not good for quarantine. Would you want to be in a hotel full with people who have covid when you have a holiday? They just will to get out and infect even more. There goes your holliday because then you have to quarantine too. 

I don't like the rules, but they make sense as people in general only think about themselves and break the rules. Look at that Israeli guy. At the verry least people with covid should be kept separate from others properly and a hotel is NOT a good place for that. 

Unless that hotel only has people in quarantine, but otherwise there will be no security nothing and people will wander. Destroying other peoples holiday. 

I don't let my parents come because of the possible quarantine if infected. People should know what they are getting into. Thailand is not the only country. Unlike what people say many country quarantine tourists. Maybe not all in hospitals but they are quarantined. 

But the bash Thailand at all cost crowd does not like to read about that. Plenty of Dutch people their holiday got ruined by rules in Austria and other countries where they go on winter holliday.

I partly agree with you. However if the country is open for tourist, and they have to wait for the result of their tests, than they should have at least 1 floor, which they use as a quarantine, and if people are positive and with almost no symptoms, they could stay on that floor or a another real quaratine floor. They paid for the holiday and their hotel and not for staying in a hospital. A hospital is a place where people with severe symptons should stay and not non sympton cases. That is my idea that there is money involved. Or if you don't can handle a tourist don't open the country. Just as you said that you told your family not to come now. and I agree that people should inform themselves ...but as you know Thailand can change everything, it mostly depends on who will handle the case. The Israeli is another story, but he tested many times negative, and still had a problem. 

• Like 2

Fully vaxed but still living in fear. ????

I guess in hindsight the vaccines didn't live up to expectations. 

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Sorry, but I think when travelling for  holiday in the middle of a pandemic you should be reading and investigating the situation more fully yourself and not relying on 'we got the impression'

That's because the information is conflicting and changes on a daily basis. For example try finding out if you need to be fully vaxed to enter Phuket by land. Good luck with your investigation. ????

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Robin said:

Many readers on this Forum are better informed about Thailand and Quarantine rules (scams) than the general public in Europe, so we should not criticise them if they come to Thailand for a holiday.  No rules say that Travel Agencies have to inform all customers of any potential risks, particularly in these troubled times.

Knowing the Ethics of Thai businesses, they are not going to warn tourist if they can make money from them.

Only hope for tourists to be informed is if the popular press in Europe catches on to this and make a big issue of it.

Thailand is now governed by a lot of rather stupid, frightened, old men, so why should we expect any sensible policies from them.

Just now, Lemonltr said:

Bit unfair to compare knowledge of expats with incidental tourists. Anyway where exactly is this information accurately published. Uk residents correctly accessing the UK government website would have little inkling of risks as the information is at odds with reality. Oblique warning. 

Screenshot_20220101_103635_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 1

I would travel to Thailand, even during these times, but with a solid insurance...Being covid positive, you are insured.My travel insurance said it clear to me, no insurance in case of close contact.

Should I travel, I would definetely look at Emirates Insurance, it seems they cover quarantine/isolation in case of close contact.But will not travel before having a clear answer from Emirates.

53 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Quite true but this seems to be a case of one law for foreigners and another for Thai's. My Thai friend and her daughter came to Thailand to visit family in early December.  Whist she was staying with her mother in Korat her mother became ill and tested positive for Covid. The mother was taken in to hospital but my friend and her daughter were allowed to isolate in her mother's house - obviously at no cost whatsoever.

Completly different situation, your friends were already in thailand and did not test positive for covid .if Thai people test positive on arrival they too have to go into quarantine. So throwing out that it's one rule for Thais and another for foreigners is not true. 

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

You are not considering the bigger picture Rob.

Everybody in Thailand is being exposed to unnecessary risk because the average citizen is avoiding being tested , and who can blame them ?

The current system is simply not fit for purpose , there is no way on earth that the health system could accomodate the true number of covid infections.

In reality the domestic population are largely only tested once they become seriously ill , there are tens of thousands of mild cases strolling around but unacounted for.

The incarcenation of international visitors is consequently nothing more than a money grab.

Either test the whole country (,and if the UK can do 1 million + tests a day , so can Thailand) or test nobody.

Those who are ill go to hospital , those that are not isolate at home.

Yes it means the government will have to compensate those who miss work , but if the health of the nation is the priority......

Maybe not, but if i book a holiday I don't want to be confronted (unnecessarily) with people who have covid. Of course you cannot prevent all contact because there is covid in the local population. 

But to put people in a hotel with other guests is asking for trouble, even a condo is better. People who have covid should quarantine. Just because we can't control the populace does not mean you should expose holliday goers to even more risk.

I agree that they should not have to go to a hospital but then put them in a covid hotel or something where they can be separated and extra precautions can be taken. Its a recipe for disaster in a hotel, staff come in contact with covid sufferer and infect other guests. Not a good prospect.

I get what you are saying about the other risk but why increase it many folds to put people in a hotel with healthy guests? Hotels are not made for this. The chances of it going to someone in the staf who then infects others is much higher than in other situations. 

I do agree about more testing and self isolation. But i would not take the UK as example. Sorry they are plague island at the moment. So id rather not take it as an example.

• Like 1

Another example of " its somebody else's fault"  At what point does a person bear the responsibility of checking things out for themselves.  Travelling today every tourists has to be brain dead not to realize that their our implications if you or someone you are traveling with tests positive for Covid.  

If the person was really that concerned there is this wonderful invention called the internet.  Blaming others is nothing more than this pervasive attitude that it is always someone else's fault, and of course expecting them to compensate you for your own lack of due diligence. 

• Thanks 2