Got Covid - Doing Quarantine At Home?

TudorBkk

On 1/1/2022 at 5:17 PM, grain said:

I seriously doubt your condo management will be cool with this. In all likelihood they'll report you and you'll be forced into 14 days Q at an expense. If me I'd just sweat it out at home and tell nobody. Can't your GF call some friends and have them buy a bunch of packs of mama and some bread and whatever and leave it outside your door? That's what I would do. All the best and let us know how it goes.

If your condo staff or the actual delivery person just leave the box/bags at your door, there is no contact. Perhaps this means giving all concerned a specific instruction to just leave at the door (maybe  you've already done this).

Further, there is perhaps some risk that the condo staff and delivery guys/gals who are in close contact with multiple people outside all day could deposit the virus on the box / bags.

Therefore can I, with all respect, suggest you use new gloves to bring the box /bags in and unpack everything, totally discard the used gloves, wash you hands well as prescribed, and rewash and vegetables etc., before packing them into your fridge etc. And wash hands again. 

Edited by scorecard

1 hour ago, robblok said:

So you want to use the service and dictate price. That is like going into a supermarket taking some beers and then throwing some money on the counter and saying that is all that i will pay.

They call it theft.

You already know you don't want to pay but you still use the service. IMHO that a bit hypocrite. Then don't go to a hospital and take your chances.

You have no clue what a fair price is, that depends a lot on what medicine they use if your on a breathing machine and in ICU. So for you to dictate a price...... sorry Possum I don't agree.

If your not willing to pay and you know it before then i feel its theft.

If what I keep on reading is true Rob, that people are being taken into hospital and have to stay in for whatever reason but it has to do with the virus, and are being charged 100.000 to 200.000 Baht, for about 14 days, then there is something far wrong. I suspect it is down to greed on the part of the Hospital and Pharmacy profession.

We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

If what I keep on reading is true Rob, that people are being taken into hospital and have to stay in for whatever reason but it has to do with the virus, and are being charged 100.000 to 200.000 Baht, for about 14 days, then there is something far wrong. I suspect it is down to greed on the part of the Hospital and Pharmacy profession.

We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this.

That was not what we were discussing. We were discussing the case where you go to the hospital yourself and let yourself be checked in because your sick.

The other case i can understand your reasoning. If you get checked in by others and have no problem then yes i can see your problem if you check in yourself and you have to pay this then it was your own decission.

Plus you said it yourself i will only go when really sick, so in that case you might end up with loads of medicine in an ICU ward. I feel that at point 100.000 to 200.000 can happen. I mean on ICU with medicine when really sick.

Besides you checked yourself in.

Forcefully checked in that is an other case.

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

That was not what we were discussing. We were discussing the case where you go to the hospital yourself and let yourself be checked in because your sick.

The other case i can understand your reasoning. If you get checked in by others and have no problem then yes i can see your problem if you check in yourself and you have to pay this then it was your own decission.

Plus you said it yourself i will only go when really sick, so in that case you might end up with loads of medicine in an ICU ward. I feel that at point 100.000 to 200.000 can happen. I mean on ICU with medicine when really sick.

Besides you checked yourself in.

Forcefully checked in that is an other case.

That's fine Rob, but to apply to your point. I would only check myself in if I thought that my life was at risk and that would only be at a government hospital, if they said that I was going to be put into a private hospital I would warn them that I did not have the money to pay them in the country, then it would be up to them.

1 minute ago, samtam said:

I called a PCR clinic yesterday and asked if I tested positive for Covid whether they would insist that I go into hospital. They said "no". I suspect if you go to a hospital to get a PCR and you tested positive, whether you had symptoms or not, they would try and force you to be admitted. I don't know whether being "forced" is legal.

Spoke to the receptionist at a hospital yesterday and she told me that the insured go to a hospital and the uninsured can go to a specified hotel for quarantine 

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

That's fine Rob, but to apply to your point. I would only check myself in if I thought that my life was at risk and that would only be at a government hospital, if they said that I was going to be put into a private hospital I would warn them that I did not have the money to pay them in the country, then it would be up to them.

That is understandable, i was just asking you if you would pay if you checked yourself in. I got my answer and it's fair. 

I thought you would refuse payment then too, that would be something id consider unfair because once you check yourself in its your choice and then people should not moan about the cost because its either that or taking the risk themselves. 

Of course if there are costs that are unfair it should be rectified (talking about errors on a bill)

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Do not inform the condo people.

Going out of condo, etc with covid. You have to be within 6 feet of someone for 15 minutes together to pass on covid by breathing. Wear two masks or a KN95 (which Thailand has neglected to provide and should be disgraced for), that stops it. You don't pass on covid willy nilly. Watch Youtube, it's the only good source of USA information by doctors for covid, it has everything. Get 49 baht tests at 7 11. TheUSA CDC says 5 days quarantine is enough for mild cases, Thailand are idiots. I will never go to a Thai hospital unless I want to be tortured again.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Spoke to the receptionist at a hospital yesterday and she told me that the insured go to a hospital and the uninsured can go to a specified hotel for quarantine 

I wonder who pays for the quarantine at a specified hotel. I cannot imagine it's "free"

2 hours ago, ronjomtien said:

Going out of condo, etc with covid. You have to be within 6 feet of someone for 15 minutes together to pass on covid by breathing. Wear two masks or a KN95 (which Thailand has neglected to provide and should be disgraced for), that stops it. You don't pass on covid willy nilly. Watch Youtube, it's the only good source of USA information by doctors for covid, it has everything. Get 49 baht tests at 7 11. TheUSA CDC says 5 days quarantine is enough for mild cases, Thailand are idiots. I will never go to a Thai hospital unless I want to be tortured again.

The current Thailand policy of quarantining at a hospital, (or as suggested above, at a specified quarantine hotel), is not going to be sustainable when Omicron takes hold here, and judging by the rest of the world, it will, and it will be overwhelming.

1 hour ago, samtam said:

I wonder who pays for the quarantine at a specified hotel. I cannot imagine it's "free"

A real life example. Two months ago my nephew and his wife both got Delta. They called the health office number (not a hospital). Health officials came to the home to evaluate the severity of their infections, the home, and occupants. They have a 9 year old daughter.  The father, with no insurance, was sent to an isolation hotel where he was cared for, free. His wife who had milder symptoms, was told to isolate at home because the daughter could care for her. The wife self-isolated in the bedroom for the duration. 

Further testing, care, and medications were free.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rabas said:

A real life example. Two months ago my nephew and his wife both got Delta. They called the health office number (not a hospital). Health officials came to the home to evaluate the severity of their infections, the home, and occupants. They have a 9 year old daughter.  The father, with no insurance, was sent to an isolation hotel where he was cared for, free. His wife who had milder symptoms, was told to isolate at home because the daughter could care for her. The wife self-isolated in the bedroom for the duration. 

Further testing, care, and medications were free.

Any reason it was free? I mean, somebody had to pay, right? Why would the government cover him, if that was the case?

My understanding is that the person testing positive should go to a hospital (if have symptoms) or an isolation fascility (if no symptoms), and household contacts testing negative need to isolate at home - if home circumstances make this feasible.

But I see other countries moving to home isolation unless you are seriously ill, so perhaps Thailand will follow this trend.  But if it was me, and I could self isolate effectively, I consider that option.

23 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I re-rang the clinic today, because the first answer is rarely the same as the second or third...

If one tests positive at the clinic with a PCR test, you would be referred to a hospital for a 10 day stay if you were covered by insurance.

If you have no insurance, you are sent to a hotel to quarantine or a hospitel, at your own expense, so I imagine at a cost of THB200,000 to THB300,000.

This is the government's current policy, until beds run out.

So based on that information, unless you are symptomatic, or are seriously ill, it would seem unwise to get a PCR test, and you would be better self-isolating at home.

On 1/1/2022 at 5:00 PM, TudorBkk said:

Question: If I tell my condo reception, will I be forced to go to the hospital to quarantine there?

Fully vaxxed with Pfizer, felt bad 1st night feeling good now.

If self-quarantine is allowed then I imagine the condo can simply leave my delivery of food/grocery infront of my door which would be ideal.

You have recognised the risk....   From your prospected is only a potential negative outcome to tell the Condo Reception of your negative test and that you are isolating - there is no positive upside. 

Thus: Isolating at your condo with your GF is the only sensible option unless you start to develop serious symptoms.

Some condos allow delivers to the unit door, other do not allow delivery staff into building.

Thus the key question is: Will the front desk permit deliveries to your door or do you have to collect deliveries ?

IF the condo allows delivery to your door then the issue is a no-brainer - just stay in and order what you want when you want (with cashless / pre-paid delivery). 

30 minutes ago, samtam said:

If you have no insurance, you are sent to a hotel to quarantine or a hospitel, at your own expense, so I imagine at a cost of THB200,000 to THB300,000.

I shouldn't think that it would be that much m thats how much a hospital would cost , a 1000 Baht a night room (which is what a hospitel is) and no extra expenses

13 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:
48 minutes ago, samtam said:

I shouldn't think that it would be that much m thats how much a hospital would cost , a 1000 Baht a night room (which is what a hospitel is) and no extra expenses

Yes... but the optics of a balanced argument don’t play out as well as ‘extremes’ when shooting from the hip of outrage !!!

On 1/1/2022 at 5:43 PM, Kenny202 said:

Knew a couple of mates didnt have symptoms early in the piece but went and got tested....positive. Both spent a brain numbing 2 weeks in hospital, never got any symptoms.

In the case of your friends, do you know, once they were hospitalized, did they end up in private rooms or shared rooms/wards with other positive COVID cases?

On 1/1/2022 at 5:55 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Just to see our doctors for our normal visits every 4th month the GF and I have to obtain a PCR test and test negative.  The doctors and staff are afraid of becoming infected, so your friend with food poisoning is another who was tested just to see a doctor like we are. 

I had a dental cleaning appointment recently at a private hospital in BKK.

What they wanted prior to the appointment was either:

a. show them proof of full/two dose COVID vaccination, or

b. do an ATK test the day of the appointment just prior, and have a negative result.

I'm fully vaccinated and will receive my booster this week.

But when I thought about it, the hospital's option regarding requiring proof of prior vaccination really doesn't make much sense as a means of preventing the spread of COVID.

Because months prior vaccination (especially with the Chinese or AZ vaccines so common here) apparently aren't doing much these days in preventing infections that can be spread to others  -- even though they do help in preventing serious illness and death.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes... but the optics of a balanced argument don’t play out as well as ‘extremes’ when shooting from the hip of outrage !!!

I stand corrected! I found this list on Agoda, for 1 star facilities. Presumably this is where you could quarantine for this price, so you could get away with THB3,300 for 10 nights. Good to know. I've never been to Khao San, but I'm sure it would be an experience I would cherish for a very long time. 

Edited by samtam

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I had a dental cleaning appointment recently at a private hospital in BKK.

What they wanted prior to the appointment was either:

a. show them proof of full/two dose COVID vaccination, or

b. do an ATK test the day of the appointment just prior, and have a negative result.

I'm fully vaccinated and will receive my booster this week.

But when I thought about it, the hospital's option regarding requiring proof of prior vaccination really doesn't make much sense as a means of preventing the spread of COVID.

Because months prior vaccination (especially with the Chinese or AZ vaccines so common here) apparently aren't doing much these days in preventing infections that can be spread to others  -- even though they do help in preventing serious illness and death.

No vaccine currently available claims to prevent infection. Why does this misunderstanding keep coming up? It gets repeated a hundred times every week.

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

No vaccine currently available claims to prevent infection. Why does this misunderstanding keep coming up? It gets repeated a hundred times every week.

The mRNA COVID vaccines do prevent infections to a certain extent, that starts out relatively strong, and then wanes/reduces with time.

So, the science clearly shows, depending on the vaccine and the time since you last received it, they can prevent a certain proportion of the vaccinated from contracting the virus.

In short, the mRNA vaccines prevent infections in some of the vaccinated, but not all.  They're better, of course, at preventing serious illness and death.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The mRNA COVID vaccines do prevent infections to a certain extent, that starts out relatively strong, and then wanes/reduces with time.

So, the science clearly shows, depending on the vaccine and the time since you last received it, they can prevent a certain proportion of the vaccinated from contracting the virus.

In short, the mRNA vaccines prevent infections in some of the vaccinated, but not all.  They're better, of course, at preventing serious illness and death.

I'm not going to dispute any of what you say, but I'm just going to post a link to an NY Times article that covers a lot of ground. I'm a Brit BTW, so I'm not pushing their line because I'm an American citizen. The situation world wide is dire. Africa - 13% vaccinated. Most of the poorer nations, that's the whole of South America, most of SE Asia, most of India, and incidentally, the whole of China, were vaccinated with what is constantly reviled and disparaged on this forum, ie Sinovac, Sinopharm and Sputnik.  You can add to that AstraZaneca as that seems to have fallen also out of favour with the rich westerners. This downputting of the trio of vaccines is a source of growing apathy towards vaccination in its entirety amongst poorer nations. Why vaccinate yourself with what the educated westerners are calling diluted salt water/totally ineffective/Chinese junk/blah blah blah? These nations never got near a Moderna or a Pfizer jab. These were all reserved for the likes of you and me. It's all fxxxxx up. So what's new. That's it. Times up! End of.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/19/health/omicron-vaccines-efficacy.html

6 hours ago, bradiston said:

You'll note, my prior post and comments were limited to the efficacy of mRNA vaccines -- not the others -- in helping prevent infection. The Times article reinforces what I said above -- the mRNA vaccines have shown the best performance at preventing infections, with the results varying by time passed and which virus variant is involved, according to the various research results reported thus far.

From The Times report:

"But only the Pfizer and Moderna shots, when reinforced by a booster, appear to have initial success at stopping [Omicron] infections..."

"The other shots — including those from AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson and vaccines manufactured in China and Russia — do little to nothing to stop the spread of Omicron, early research shows."

AND

"The Pfizer and Moderna shots use the new mRNA technology, which has consistently offered the best protection against infection with every variant. All of the other vaccines are based on older methods of triggering an immune response.

"The Chinese vaccines Sinopharm and Sinovac — which make up almost half of all shots delivered globally — offer almost zero protection from Omicron infection."

Though again, it bears repeating that the other vaccines still  do appear to continue to offer protection against serious illness and death from  COVID. That's good for the individual recipients. But that's not going to stop or slow the spread of the pandemic.

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You'll note, my prior post and comments were limited to the efficacy of mRNA vaccines -- not the others -- in helping prevent infection. The Times article reinforces what I said above -- the mRNA vaccines have shown the best performance at preventing infections, with the results varying by time passed and which virus variant is involved, according to the various research results reported thus far.

From The Times report:

"But only the Pfizer and Moderna shots, when reinforced by a booster, appear to have initial success at stopping [Omicron] infections..."

"The other shots — including those from AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson and vaccines manufactured in China and Russia — do little to nothing to stop the spread of Omicron, early research shows."

AND

"The Pfizer and Moderna shots use the new mRNA technology, which has consistently offered the best protection against infection with every variant. All of the other vaccines are based on older methods of triggering an immune response.

"The Chinese vaccines Sinopharm and Sinovac — which make up almost half of all shots delivered globally — offer almost zero protection from Omicron infection."

Though again, it bears repeating that the other vaccines still  do appear to continue to offer protection against serious illness and death from  COVID. That's good for the individual recipients. But that's not going to stop or slow the spread of the pandemic.

It's moot as to what real protection Moderna and Pfizer offer against initial infection. A phrase such as "appear to have" is hardly convincing. I'm not arguing their efficacy at reducing the risk of serious illness. Most in the west will have had at least one jab of either or both Moderna or Pfizer by now, yet the infection rates are mind boggling.

47 minutes ago, bradiston said:

It's moot as to what real protection Moderna and Pfizer offer against initial infection. A phrase such as "appear to have" is hardly convincing. I'm not arguing their efficacy at reducing the risk of serious illness. Most in the west will have had at least one jab of either or both Moderna or Pfizer by now, yet the infection rates are mind boggling.

One question which keeps nagging away at my overactive "brain". China appears to have no interest in developing its own mRNA vaccine. Which you'd think would be easily within its grasp given that, back in March 2020, Fosun Pharma provided funding for the BioNTech research of $135 million,  a month before Pfizer. With it came development and marketing rights in China of BNT162b2. So what happened to the development of an mRNA vaccine the rights to which they appear to have secured way back when? Looks like they are going to need something like a miracle right now.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pfizer–BioNTech_COVID-19_vaccine

10 hours ago, bradiston said:

Most in the west will have had at least one jab of either or both Moderna or Pfizer by now, yet the infection rates are mind boggling.

One jab of anything isn't really doing the job these days with Omicron when it comes to preventing infection.

The current medical advice seems to be people need to be fully vaccinated (two shots) plus a booster with the mRNA vaccines. And even then, that's not 100% protection against infection, but it's apparently as good as things can get for the present.

And unfortunately both here in TH and in the west as well, there remain vast numbers of people who haven't gotten the necessary three shot vaccine doses.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

On 1/4/2022 at 7:23 PM, samtam said:

I stand corrected! I found this list on Agoda, for 1 star facilities. Presumably this is where you could quarantine for this price, so you could get away with THB3,300 for 10 nights. Good to know. I've never been to Khao San, but I'm sure it would be an experience I would cherish for a very long time. 

Once certain hotels are given permission to allow quarantine on their premises. I would expect to pay 50-100K for this. Those are the kinds of numbers that have been mentioned. Thais also pay for hospitels. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2022 at 11:09 AM, wmlc said:

I say again, what about the contact tracing and the possibility of someone he came in contact with infecting someone older who might die or become seriously sick? For what ? So the OP can be more comfortable? What is this world coming to? 

Pretty much everyone who wants the vaccine has it by now, let's not exaggerate the risk profile. Getting an ATK test every three days, would be considered by most less inconvenience than two weeks in quarantine.. are you similarly disturbed that everyone isn't getting an ATK test every three days to minimise risk?