Building a small cabin on land in Isaan

Jaunty

My Thai wife owns some land in Isaan. She wishes to build a small (6 metre by 5 metre) cabin on her land, next to the main house. Does anyone know if council approval is needed prior to construction? There are no direct neighbours, it is basically in the "jungle". Perhaps a silly question but I thought I would check to see if anyone has first hand experience of this.

Edited by Jaunty
  • Haha 1

We live in Isaan as well in Mahasarakham. A few years ago my wife had a sperate kitchen built about 2 metres to one side of the main building. It was about 5 metres long and I think just under that wide. We subsequently used that to rebuild the kitchen and add a bedroom. We extended the new building to join the old one so it was now 7 metres and rearranged the doors and windows. The bedroom was just added alongside the kitchen so that was 7 by 5 metres including the bathroom. 

As far as I know no permission was asked for although it's possible my wife spoke to the village head. I wasn't there when the first kitchen was built although I was when it was extended. There was also a building and and a wooden house put up on land that was owned by my sister in law but within my wife's land. I don't know about that either.

When I speak to my wife later today I'll try to remember to ask her. As sirineou said it might be worth speaking to the village head particularly if you and your wife are on good terms with him.

On 1/2/2022 at 4:00 AM, HauptmannUK said:

Over the last eight years my wife has built four houses in various locations around Udon Thani. The biggest house has ended up as a sort of 'compound' with big gates, high wall and a couple of smaller structures including a carport and a gazebo.  She didn't get any kind of permission for any of them and there doesn't seem to have been any interest from anyone other than villagers turning up to various blessings and housewarming parties....

I seem to think you will get no grief until somebody wants some pocket money or jealous neighbours have a moan

• Like 2

I had a small one room " bungalow" built near an  Isaan village a few  years ago. No problems at all, the locals were glad of the work it provided for them and the money spent locally on materials. One word of advice is needed, all Thai workers seem to think they are qualified builders/carpenters because they own a hammer so you need to keep a close eye on them. Likewise for electrical work which can end  being very dangerous.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Almer said:

I seem to think you will get no grief until somebody wants some pocket money or jealous neighbours have a moan

Yeah, I think that could be the only issue : greed and jealousy. Especially as there is a farang target involved. Other than that, it's as everyone above said, people build whatever they like without any consultation or approval process, at least in the villages. I have the same experience in my wife's village, we built a lot of extensions, very visible from outside, no one ever said anything apart of the praise from passers-by. No one ever complained about the noise and the numerous parties with the workers over the years either!

On 1/2/2022 at 4:00 AM, HauptmannUK said:

She didn't get any kind of permission for any of them and there doesn't seem to have been any interest from anyone other than villagers turning up to various blessings and housewarming parties....

That is til now that nobody has had any interest but if the land is Sor Por Kor  things may well change. Thais seem to think that they can do as they please when it comes to land usage. But the laws are quite clear and that's why Thai courts are well backed up regarding land misuse. You buy land in Thailand you buy Chanote. It's all singing and trouble free during ownership. 

Chanote

Freehold Title Deed (Chanote or Nor Sor 4)
Thus, if you are planning to buy land in Thailand, this type of title deed is the best and most credible title deed to hold.

• Like 1

Around our way upcountry, you must notify the authorities when building a home. They will want to come around and check if a toilet is installed. If you want a house number for an electricity supply, internet, water etc. you will have to notify them anyway.

You also need to pay a tax on new homes.

• Haha 1

Thai tradesman indeed, I learnt the hard way when I wanted an earth rod put in, obviously had a problem that I found out about 3 months later when the Mrs got her foot caught around the trailing earth wire which pulled the rod out of the ground, he had cut about the length of a normal size John Thomas and put the wire clamp on it, where the other 2mtrs  went I can only guess.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, kimamey said:

We live in Isaan as well in Mahasarakham. A few years ago my wife had a sperate kitchen built about 2 metres to one side of the main building. It was about 5 metres long and I think just under that wide. We subsequently used that to rebuild the kitchen and add a bedroom. We extended the new building to join the old one so it was now 7 metres and rearranged the doors and windows. The bedroom was just added alongside the kitchen so that was 7 by 5 metres including the bathroom. 

As far as I know no permission was asked for although it's possible my wife spoke to the village head. I wasn't there when the first kitchen was built although I was when it was extended. There was also a building and and a wooden house put up on land that was owned by my sister in law but within my wife's land. I don't know about that either.

When I speak to my wife later today I'll try to remember to ask her. As sirineou said it might be worth speaking to the village head particularly if you and your wife are on good terms with him.

I asked my wife about this and the reply was as confusing as I'd anticipated.

She seemed to think that plans were needed but I think these would have been very basic. She also mentioned there might be some tax to pay but I doubt it would be that much based on previous experience of land tax. As others have said there are laws but they are often not that important until someone complains.

I think the one thing I'd suggest is to talk to the village head. If you get on with him ok and he's not got a problem then that's going to be in your favour. He will probably be grateful that someone has appreciated his importance and he may be of use some time in the future.

• Haha 1

Friend built a small house, 45 sqm, in Surin, on his parents' land, next to their house.  No neighbours on the other 3 sides.

Plans (not drawn by himself but from a professional) and permission were needed to build.

Plans were needed again to get a separate electrical meter.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. Seems to be a few varying opinions. Just want to reiterate, it is a very small extra house, no larger than 6 by 5 behind the main house to accommodate 1 person in a village just outside Udon Thani. There will be no separate electrical meter. It seems no permission may be required but it seems best to talk to the village head at least.

Edited by Jaunty
  • Like 1