Tourist Visa needed for dual citizenship Thai/USA?

Hello,

I live in the US and have dual citizenship Thai/USA. I plan on returning to Thailand in March for around 40 days. I will exit the USA on my US passport and enter Thailand on my Thai passport.

Due to the stringent requirements and overly scrutinized document checks at airline check-in in the US, I am hearing horror stories of people being denied boarding in the US with return tickets greater than 30 days but no Tourist Visa.

Is it recommended I should obtain a Tourist Visa to avoid any problems at check-in? Or would just showing both my Thai and USA passports at check-in avoid any problems about not having a Tourist Visa for a stay longer than 30 days? 

Thanks for any experience or guidance.

The OP is a US citizen and thus required by law to use US passport to enter and leave 

If an airline check-in agent in US asks for an onward ticket from Thailand and yo do not have, just tell them you are Thai too! US law is silent on dual citizenship and airlines certainly do not care they just check boxes that the passenger meets published entry requirement.

Interesting question.. I do not know about Thailand but the US department of State will not issue an entry visa to a US citizen.

Would Thailand issue a tourist visa to a Thai? Doubt it.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

The OP is a US citizen and thus required by law to use US passport to enter and leave 

If an airline check-in agent in US asks for an onward ticket from Thailand and yo do not have, just tell them you are Thai too! US law is silent on dual citizenship and airlines certainly do not care they just check boxes that the passenger meets published entry requirement.

Interesting question.. I do not know about Thailand but the US department of State will not issue an entry visa to a US citizen.

Would Thailand issue a tourist visa to a Thai? Doubt it.

Unless things have changed since we came  to Thailand last May, the above is not true. My wife at the time left the US on her US passport but entered Thailand with her Thai passport.  Actually her Thai passport was expired, but because the embassy was so backed up with renewing passports, they issued my wife an emergency travel document  and she was able to enter Thailand with an expired passport and renew it here in Thailand. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

Unless things have changed since we came  to Thailand last May, the above is not true. My wife at the time left the US on her US passport but entered Thailand with her Thai passport.  Actually her Thai passport was expired, but because the embassy was so backed up with renewing passports, they issued my wife and emergency travel document  and she was able to enter Thailand with an expired passport and renew it here in Thailand. 

I

I have read for years it is legal for a Thai to enter Thailand on an expired Thai passport yes.

That is not in question. An airline agent in the US would genaraly accept a Thai national's expired Thai passport for boarding an itinerary to Thailand, except there might be an issue transiting certain countries airports.

Not sure we are in disagreement, there is published info that US person must enter and leave the US on a US passport. Not sure that entails listing a flight outbound from the with the US passport or merely showing it to the agent also. There are no formal passport check points manned by agents

leaving the US. They have electonic means to monitor movement as well.

Sometimes armed burly CBP agents harass peeple at boarding gates now. With cash sniffing dogs looking for smugglers,  on leash. They racially profile as well.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/Advice-about-Possible-Loss-of-US-Nationality-Dual-Nationality/Dual-Nationality.html

"U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport to travel to or from a country other than the United States is not inconsistent with U.S. law."  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Yes indeed, .perhaps I misunderstood your post. 

But if I understood the OP correctly, she will be departing the US on her US passport, so that should not be a problem , and entering Thailand on her Thai passport, (would not be a problem also)  when she returns she will depart Thailand on her Thai passport, and when she arrives in the US she will enter with her US passport thus satisfying all requirements. 

Before covid we travel between the US and Thailand at least twice a year and we always did it like that with no issues. Now with covid one needs to check for the latest travel restrictions.

The only issue the OP will have would be with requirement to enter Thailand, and since they seem to change from day to day, she would need to check with her local Embay  branch. 

Do you still need a Certificate of Entry ? (COE) , PCR covid test? quarantine length, vaccination status? etc. 

I think that entering with her Thai passport also eliminates the need for covid insurance. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

I have read for years it is legal for a Thai to enter Thailand on an expired Thai passport yes.

That is not in question. An airline agent in the US would genaraly accept a Thai national's expired Thai passport for boarding an itinerary to Thailand, except there might be an issue transiting certain countries airports.

Not sure we are in disagreement, there is published info that US person must enter and leave the US on a US passport. Not sure that entails listing a flight outbound from the with the US passport or merely showing it to the agent also. There are no formal passport check points manned by agents

leaving the US. They have electonic means to monitor movement as well.

Sometimes armed burly CBP agents harass peeple at boarding gates now. With cash sniffing dogs looking for smugglers,  on leash. They racially profile as well.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/Advice-about-Possible-Loss-of-US-Nationality-Dual-Nationality/Dual-Nationality.html

"U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport to travel to or from a country other than the United States is not inconsistent with U.S. law."  

I see that what you say is true but my wife and all her friends here (dual citizens) have always left the US with their Thai passports. Right now I can't remember anyone but the ticket agent even asking to see it.

Maybe the problem is with the agent. Many require that the passport used to buy the ticket has to be shown. If it's a US passport they must show a return ticket within 30 days or a visa. I (US citizen) have always been asked for the return ticket but when I told them I had a visa, they let me pass without ever looking at it. The same maybe true for dual citizens. Showing a Thai passport may do the same.

Simple answer really.  Follow two simple rules:

When in Rome use your Roman passport.

Always leave on the passport you came in on.

Leave the US on the US passport.

If questioned in the US by airline staff about permission to enter Thailand show Thai passport.

Arrive in Thailand on Thai passport.  Exit Thailand on Thai passport. 

If questioned in Thailand by airline staff about permission to enter US show US passport.

Enter US on US passport.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Many people do what you want to do without problem.

Just show both passport when checking in for you flight to here to prove you do not need a flight out if entering visa exempt. On arrival in Bangkok use only use yor Thai passport. Keep your US passport hidden away from immigrations eyes.

Then you will show both passports at check in for your flight to the US to prove you do not a visa for the US. Then only shout your Thai passport to immigration.

Yes, provide both at check-in if necessary. Use US passport to leave and enter the US and Thai passport to enter and leave Thailand. We have done multiple times with my US/Thai son and never had an issue.

• Like 2

My Thai/US children show both passports at the check-in counter and the check-in person appears to enter information from both into the computer. I think this info goes to both Thai and US immigration authorities. Thai passport is used to exit and enter Thailand and US passport to enter and leave the US.

Once Thai immigration asked to see one of my children's US passport to make sure that she had the right to enter the US as she was exiting Thailand. Usually this does not happen, but it can.

You do not  need to show a return ticket as a Thai national.

You are required by law to use your US passport leaving the US, but if asked by the airline at check in about either visa or return ticket,  explain you have dual nationality and show your Thai passport and explain you will be using that for entry.

• Like 1

As everyone else has stated, under normal circumstances, the rule of exit on your US passport, arrive on your Thai passport solves all problems.

There is just one complication that I believe needs to be at least considered: the Thailand Pass.

You need to have a Thailand pass which reflects the passport you will use for exit from the US and entry into Thailand. Whether you use the Thai passport for your flight reservation and Thailand Pass or your US passport, there could be problems. Notably, assuming your Thailand Pass was issued on your US passport, I could imagine Thai immigration refusing to allow you to enter as a Thai. Technically, you would not have a qualifying Thailand Pass.

11 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

I see that what you say is true but my wife and all her friends here (dual citizens) have always left the US with their Thai passports. Right now I can't remember anyone but the ticket agent even asking to see it.

I think you may be thinking about the requirement too literally. All that's required is that an American citizen depart the US with a US passport in his or her possession, ready to show to any official who might ask to see it (which they are very, very unlikely to ever do). There's no prohibition against carrying another passport or presenting one at check-in. The applicable regulation is the following:

22 CFR § 53.1 Passport requirement; definitions.
(a) It is unlawful for a citizen of the United States, unless excepted under 22 CFR 53.2, to enter or depart, or attempt to enter or depart, the United States, without a valid U.S. passport.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

There is just one complication that I believe needs to be at least considered: the Thailand Pass.

You need to have a Thailand pass which reflects the passport you will use for exit from the US and entry into Thailand. Whether you use the Thai passport for your flight reservation and Thailand Pass or your US passport, there could be problems.

The Thailand Pass is just part of the entry documentation for Thailand that needs to be presented to the airline; it's not considered any sort of exit documentation for the US.

As I mentioned above, using an American passport "to exit the US" under US law really only means having it in your possession - documents for entering other countries are a separate issue. There's no problem from the US perspective to using a TP reflecting the data in the Thai passport.

Edited by khunjeff
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, khunjeff said:

The Thailand Pass is just part of the entry documentation for Thailand that needs to be presented to the airline; it's not considered any sort of exit documentation for the US.

As I mentioned above, using an American passport "to exit the US" under US law really only means having it in your possession - documents for entering other countries are a separate issue. There's no problem from the US perspective to using a TP reflecting the data in the Thai passport.

My question when having a flight reservation indicating your Thai passport is whether US immigration consider this compatible with leaving under a different passport. I am pretty sure it would not be acceptable if the names in the two passports did not match. I am unsure whether the passport numbers (also part of the flight reservation) must be strictly adhered to. When I received a new passport (same nationality) between making a reservation and check in, the airline insisted that the details on the flight reservation had to be amended before checking me in, and the process seemed relatively complicated.

23 minutes ago, BritTim said:

My question when having a flight reservation indicating your Thai passport is whether US immigration consider this compatible with leaving under a different passport. I am pretty sure it would not be acceptable if the names in the two passports did not match. I am unsure whether the passport numbers (also part of the flight reservation) must be strictly adhered to. When I received a new passport (same nationality) between making a reservation and check in, the airline insisted that the details on the flight reservation had to be amended before checking me in, and the process seemed relatively complicated.

While I can understand why it was necessary for the airline to insist that you update your passport number between reservation and check-in so that they had accurate information about the passenger flying, I don't think a similar situation exists with the advice given to the OP.

The US often doesn't require the formal presentation of a passport when people exit the country.  I have never heard of a Thai-American having any problem leaving the US using their Thai passport to check in to their departure flight, including in the recent era of the Thai Pass or Certificate of Entry.

16 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

You're confusing airline staff with immigration. The airline staff have to check you have proper documents to enter your destination country (visa, visa exempt, citizenship of the destination country). To them you show the Thai passport when travelling to Thailand. Immigration officers check the passport you entered current country with (be it local passport or foreign passport with visa). AFAIK you don't go through immigration officers when exiting the US.

When you enter Thailand as a Thai citizen you use the Thai passport.

On the way back to the US you show the airline staff your US passport as proof you're entitled to enter the US, and most times they want to see also the passport you used to enter Thailand as well. 

When you go through immigration you show the officer the Thai passport. 

Thank you to everyone for the replies.

It seems to be the gate agent checking our documents and how overzealous he/she might be, both here in the US and also thru transit in Singapore. I am flying Singapore Airlines and registered my US passport with my ticket.

A friend of mine recently had some trouble transiting thru Japan. She is also dual citizenship and did not get a tourist visa. She was stopped during the document check in Japan. Her US passport was registered to her ticket, and they almost would not let her transit board her next flight even though she showed her Thai passport as well. The agents made a call to the Thai embassy in Bangkok and after whatever was discussed, they let her board. These gate agents are being very strict. 

Traveling with such uncertainty almost makes me want to just postpone my trip. Hopefully all will go well!