Hua Hin or Phuket?

46 minutes ago, Albert Zweistein said:

You've never seen tricky roads.

Tricky for an inexperienced Thai driver.  I can handle anything, and nothing could surprise me.

I used to excel at trying to kill myself on 2 wheels.

Edited by KhunLA

Rent, Rent, Rent, its a renters paradise, why commit to buying a property & the head-aches that come with it. If you rent from the right people who honor their agreements you would be far better off financially & having the option to move on if the novelty starts to wear off.  

• Like 1

One can still make the drive from Hua Hin to Phuket.  It is after all a nice scenic drive and can be part of the extended trip one takes to spend time in the Phuket Area or even stop in Phang Nga for a day or two before driving back up to Hua Hin of course stopping in Chumpon as well.

Why not do both? I do, and love it! Get a Thai driver’s license, buy a pick-up truck and rent beachside accommodation (at a fraction of USA costs) at each destination - or a hundred other fantastic seaside locations….as you please ????

I lived in Rawai for many years and also at Khao Tabiab which I considered the best beachside areas of Phuket and Hua Hin.

In my time at Rawai, I never travelled on the horror stretch of road between Patong and Kathu.

In fact, I rarely drove on any windy roads and planned my travel so traffic was never an issue.

Excellent shopping and restaurants locally and in Phuket Town obviated any need to travel to Patong. 

At your age and going forward I would suggest either travelling in GF's car or by taxi.

I regularly travelled between Phuket and Bangkok by air and used early morning flights and avoided any traffic. The travel was ridiculously cheap and efficient.

I usually ocean swam at the protected Nai Harn beach and safely did so between October and July. 

Man-o-war were only there usually in August and never encountered or personally heard of any box jellies and water and air pollution were minimal.

In my time at Hua Hin, the things I liked were the cheaper rental accommodation, transport and food and general living expenses. 

Of course the closeness of BKK was a bonus.

Things I didn't like were, the traffic as access everywhere seemed to be from National Hwy 4, the air and water pollution and jellies.

Also weekends and holidays, I tended to stay home, as it seemed as though the entire population of BKK had arrived.

I suggest that if the GF likes Hua Hin because she enjoys driving from BKK then she has nothing to fear from the lighter traffic in Phuket.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, tonray said:

I would buy a place in Hua Hin and during your 6 month stay, rent a nice Villa for a couple of months in Phuket.

I agree with the above.  Your GF will appreciate being near her family, easier/safer to get around, nearer the best hospitals which are in BKK, plus there are some great, uncrowded beaches about 60 miles south of Hua Hin in Prachuap Khiri Khan.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Depends where you're visiting on Phuket.  If Patong, then maybe.  Not where the OP holidays at, as a bit HiSo on the northern part of the island. 

I have to agree with you, didn't see where he would stay until I re-read his post, up Surin way or even down to Nai Han gorgeous as opposed to Patong, smelly water which I wouldn't allow my dog to swim in so to speak.

As for beaches in Hua Hin, you would have to go out for a while, even to Ao Manoa, but the beaches are more prestine in Phuket, I will give it that.

• Like 1

Thank you for your responses.  I now see that the world between Hua Hin and Phuket is full of appealing possibilities--for a visit or a stay.  KhunLA will be an invaluable tour guide for my next trip in a month or two.   And I hear the consensus: No hurry to choose a place; and rent, rent, rent.

• Like 2

You say you prefer a quieter life and not into too much crazy night life, but access to eats n enjoyable shopping for maybe a tad over half or the year (I gather you want to avoid the snow and freezing winters?).

Peace and quiet you want. Your girl is not too adventurous you seem to be saying and is close to her family and needs to stay that way. I get that totally. If you're a city person then nature can be quite scary and threatening too and Phuket has lots of wildlife (not talking about the menagerie in Patong either lol ????).

It depends on what you want to do for yourself my friend. Its good to listen to all the stuff offered here but in the end it's your (and your loves) life. If you are happy to buy and leave the home to others ... the missus when you die all good.

I'm going to do that and have no qualms about doing so and passing on my good fortune to others. I bought knowing I would never see in my life any return on investment (other than the immeasurable joy and pleasures of living in my own home in paradise) which is blissful.

If you own and have owned homes before I get it may not be such a priority for you to own here. My circumstances in this regard and the excitement and joy of finally owning my own home as I wanted it was a great ride to take.

The idea of renting for a time and commuting between Pkt BKK and HH is a good idea as suggested if travelling and packing isn't a drag.

If you buy then either a condo or a gated villa complex where the house will be safe and secure is a consideration. Lots of complexes like this will rent the place if they can for you but this can be a bit of a pipe-dream as there's so much choice to offer to visitors.

Buying in a lower priced area and complex will afford you less privacy, quiet, security and serenity so be warned on this. 

If you have 1 to 2 million $'s to spend you can get a bespoke home built, or an existing 3 bed palatial duplex in Malaiwana, Nai Thon (I nearly bought there). Its owned by a German developer and it's superb. They'll manage the place and you may be able to rent it part of the year when you're not there if you wish.

I mention this enclave as it seems to fit your ideas of quiet - serenity. But your budget is your private business. Malaiwana sits above the southern end of Nai Thon beach and consists of huge homes and large duplexes.

Security there is spot on, beautiful, definite privacy, and is exclusive. Often the other homes there are empty because they're mostly holiday homes so you'd have glorious quiet and stunning sunsets, and uninterrupted ocean views. With a golf cart its a short ride down the hill to the complex offices then a short ride or walk down along the road to the main beach. Nai Thon Noi (as I call it) is directly opposite the main offices and accessed by a sloping staircase.

'Botanic Developments' - Bang Tao ... Khun At is the architect/developer ... truly high end western spec villas/homes in Nai Thon, Layan, and Bang Tao too ... you could get a great bargain with things being the way they are. I recommend him highly. He will also build bespoke.

I drive here now and learnt to drive here in a cheaper car first, still do have bikes but hardly use as (over time) statistically just not safe with an accident eventually highly likely. The left side driving is doable with careful practice. 

On average you'll pay more for a place in Phuket than HH.

Hua Hin is more genteel I think. Definitely a quieter holiday destination. Nice golf courses around. You can ride the train in about half a day to BKK from there too which is very pleasant and interesting. Its also got (in my opinion) crappy beaches by comparison. Maybe this is less of interest to you unless like me you love the ocean and spend time in it almost every day.

The short season of waves in Pkt aren't an issue for me as I surf but for some its annoying. Of course you need to factor in a nice pool in your domicile regardless of location and season (a must in my opinion).

I'm an Oz beach boy, all my life, and would say to you let go of the jelly fish 'worry' you have. I have never encountered any dangerous nasties as sometimes promoted as being in the waters here. Occasional sea lice (small amounts) yes but this is normal in the oceans of the world, annoying yes but dangerous no. From my experience jellies are much worse on the Gulf coastline. The gulf waters are warmer, much shallower, and do not drain as well as the more open Andaman side.

Nai Thon is beautiful, so quiet (as soon as you get off the busy (pre-covid times) beach). Although I always found Nai Thon less crowded as its not so densely developed as almost everywhere else on the island.

I'm lucky cause my love with her family in BKK doesn't care about the distance as we/she flies up regularly to visit n hang out ... yes as one poster said its almost half a days travel but from Pkt base in Nai Thon, Layan its a short flip to the airport up along the coast road past the Wyndham Hotel and on.

The roads are okay, especially in a car - which in wet season is a must as bike riding is exponentially more dangerous. It's the terrible dirty, and rough road surfaces coupled with quasi-mad drivers that are the problem. Cars are not as cheap as the US but you can get a new Toyota 4 cylinder sedan for about 1 million Bt, or late model, half that second had. 

The only nasty road, I think, is the devilish hill out of Patong and across to east coast side. But if you drive left lane stay away when it's wet it's safe. You can drive around the bottom of the island through Karon, Nai Harn etc which is a nice drive (an hour or so though in quiet covid time) or around the top through Cherng Talay to get to Pkt Town. Most drives for us to P Town from Nai Thon take usually about 45 mins across the top way in normal times.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Edited by Tropposurfer
  • Like 1

Thank so much Tropposurfer, for such an informed, and thoughtful response.  Nai Thon appeals to me, but I couldn’t afford $1m.  I’m comfortable, not wealthy.  What I like about Andaman White Beach is being able to walk from the pool or villa porch directly to the beach and sea in a few steps.   My GF, not much of a swimmer, likes to see the sea and listen to the waves at night. Besides being beyond our price range, Malaiwana is on the wrong side of the road for either of us I think.

You were very perceptive about the home ownership issue.  I owned once in suburbia.  Got to dread leaders and gutters, emergency repairs, and predictable shoveling and mowing.  Now I only rent, fortunately subsidized, but to such a bargain that I would never give it up.  So, I share the lure of permanence. Now, with a future third wife might be the time for it.  And I agree also with your willingness to pass it on to her—though I’m certainly in no hurry.

Don't buy now. Rent for awhile. Prices are going to see a historic collapse here. The economy is decimated and tourism is essentially finished as an industry here. 

They both. For a month each. See how you like it. The rental market is very soft. Negotiate like a Turk! 

I settled here in Thailand for the beaches, but the longer I stayed in Thailand, the less important the beaches became, especially in Hua Hin. In Pattaya you still have Koh Lan which is a nice escape when living there. Koh Samet and Koh Chang is not so far away either. 

Been staying long terms in Pattaya (Jomtien), Krabi (Ao Nang), Phuket (Patong), Hua Hin, Koh Tao and Koh Phangan, I would have spent some time each place and rather make up my mind in a few years. Each and one place got boring after awhile, but can not deny Andaman have the best beaches, but if going back to Normal, Phuket is ruined and overcrowded and overpriced compare to most destinations in Thailand, and a real hassel with taxi, and if not a russian,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well, each and one for itself, 

Now living on a small farm in Isan, and travel for holiday, and it taste so much better, and a real feeling of holiday. 

If you have a car it will give you more freedom. 

3 hours ago, habuspasha said:

Thank so much Tropposurfer, for such an informed, and thoughtful response.  Nai Thon appeals to me, but I couldn’t afford $1m.  I’m comfortable, not wealthy.  What I like about Andaman White Beach is being able to walk from the pool or villa porch directly to the beach and sea in a few steps.   My GF, not much of a swimmer, likes to see the sea and listen to the waves at night. Besides being beyond our price range, Malaiwana is on the wrong side of the road for either of us I think.

You were very perceptive about the home ownership issue.  I owned once in suburbia.  Got to dread leaders and gutters, emergency repairs, and predictable shoveling and mowing.  Now I only rent, fortunately subsidized, but to such a bargain that I would never give it up.  So, I share the lure of permanence. Now, with a future third wife might be the time for it.  And I agree also with your willingness to pass it on to her—though I’m certainly in no hurry.

To be honest, and this is not meant to be insulting or even negative, but until you have lived as a couple for a year, or until you are married even, you may not really have a clear idea what your girlfriend does or does not like or want. I am not claiming she is being deceitful, she likely does not know. 

I am not at all trying to discourage you from moving here, or from getting married, I did both and it worked out great for me, but Bangkok girls are generally Bangkok girls. I would not buy a place unless we know we're both going to love it. 

17 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

To be honest, and this is not meant to be insulting or even negative, but until you have lived as a couple for a year, or until you are married even, you may not really have a clear idea what your girlfriend does or does not like or want. I am not claiming she is being deceitful, she likely does not know. 

I am not at all trying to discourage you from moving here, or from getting married, I did both and it worked out great for me, but Bangkok girls are generally Bangkok girls. I would not buy a place unless we know we're both going to love it. 

Travelling all over Thailand and Many places in Europe, 5 star hotels and nice restaurants, high end Villa's, but home at the farm with family close by, is where mine is happiest! 

For me, I prefer HH over Phuket.  Yes, the beaches and water are better on Phuket.  However, May through October the seas are very rough.  If you plan on being in NYC during that time then that might not be an issue.  As was mentioned early, and I agree, rent a nice place in both places and spend some time exploring both.  That will help you decide which place you like better.  Lots of flights daily from Phuket to BKK so that might be a plus for your GF.  

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Travelling all over Thailand and Many places in Europe, 5 star hotels and nice restaurants, high end Villa's, but home at the farm with family close by, is where mine is happiest! 

Yeah, my Bangkok girl of twenty+ years loves the beach, the mountains and the snow, and she has and will live anywhere with me, but if we're voting on where to live, she's voting for Bangkok....

Edited by Yellowtail

20 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, my Bangkok girl of twenty+ years loves the beach, the mountains and the snow, and she has and will live anywhere with me, but if we're voting on where to live, she's voting for Bangkok....

I can make a life anywhere, as long Im not feeling stuck, and have choices to leave for holidays when I want. Therefore great to have her family working for us, and we can leave on short notice, and trust they take good care of houses, land and animals.

The most important, they do not live with us, but can live at our farm when we are not there. 

Edited by Hummin

13 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yes, mine will go where ever I go, which causes its own problem, because I still don't know where I prefer.  Actually nowhere full time, though building house in PKK province, I enjoy the Andaman Sea beaches, as will actually swim in them, but also enjoy Krung Thep area.

N & NE don't do anything for me, as offer nothing I can't find down here.  Plenty of hilltop view, here, and even more below in the South, our preferred out & about destination if not visiting the kid in BKK.

Love living where I am, love leaving on out & abouts, and love returning ... I'm so confused ????

10 hours ago, Hummin said:

I just read you are 81,  just travel where you want and rent, would not even think about buying anything anyplace. 

Your lady working in Bangkok? 

Most respectfully, how can you say what you will do at 81?  You got to be there to know.  80 is the new 40.  My lady is from Isaan but has lived in Bangkok with her family from age 10-40.  I'm supporting her for the last seven years since we met.

8 minutes ago, habuspasha said:

Most respectfully, how can you say what you will do at 81?  You got to be there to know.  80 is the new 40.  My lady is from Isaan but has lived in Bangkok with her family from age 10-40.  I'm supporting her for the last seven years since we met.

I know what I would do now at my 50'ies, and that is not to invest in either Hua Hin or in Phuket. 5 years ago, I almost did, but I'm happy I saved my investments for Covid. Now happily installed in Isan for one third of the price, but everything is in my gf name except my motorbikes and the car ????

You are free to do what you want sir, it was just a suggestion. No pun intended.

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Yes, mine will go where ever I go, which causes its own problem, because I still don't know where I prefer.  Actually nowhere full time, though building house in PKK province, I enjoy the Andaman Sea beaches, as will actually swim in them, but also enjoy Krung Thep area.

N & NE don't do anything for me, as offer nothing I can't find down here.  Plenty of hilltop view, here, and even more below in the South, our preferred out & about destination if not visiting the kid in BKK.

Love living where I am, love leaving on out & abouts, and love returning ... I'm so confused ????

You're confused? I thought that was my job.  I agree on the Andaman beaches and Krung Thep cosmopolitan life.  But for the latter I have NY, maybe May to Nov as another poster said.  

3 minutes ago, habuspasha said:

You're confused? I thought that was my job.  I agree on the Andaman beaches and Krung Thep cosmopolitan life.  But for the latter I have NY, maybe May to Nov as another poster said.  

I'm from Philly metro, smalls-ville compared to NYC & KT, then 5 yrs Memphis area (GermanTown) before coming here.  Hated BKK first couple visits, quite like it now.

Do 3 months at each, while exploring the areas.  Wouldn't buy in till you see a bit more, but if Mrs is leaning toward HH, then she's going to be around wee bit longer than yourself, so would be more practical to buy there.   Unless, no time soon, after your passing, she plans to head up to BKK herself, to be close to family, then not sure if I would buy in at all.

IMO the OP should give up any thoughts of driving in Thailand. At age 81, with incipient cataracts, slowing reflexes and accustomed to driving on American roads, it's a recipe for disaster.

Thai traffic is among the most dangerous in the world. In a crisis situation, the OP's instincts would have him responding incorrectly, because his driving experience is not on the left-hand side of the road. I can remember driving in America in my fifties, and it took a lot of concentration for an Australian used to the other side of the road.

As far as reflexes go, the OP can check those on the link. I am 0.37 second average, which is pretty slow.

https://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/java/redgreen.html

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

IMO the OP should give up any thoughts of driving in Thailand. At age 81, with incipient cataracts, slowing reflexes and accustomed to driving on American roads, it's a recipe for disaster.

Thai traffic is among the most dangerous in the world. In a crisis situation, the OP's instincts would have him responding incorrectly, because his driving experience is not on the left-hand side of the road. I can remember driving in America in my fifties, and it took a lot of concentration for an Australian used to the other side of the road.

As far as reflexes go, the OP can check those on the link. I am 0.37 second average, which is pretty slow.

https://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/java/redgreen.html

Neat test.  I did 44.  Slow I guess.  I'm aware of that.  Recognized it when I went back to work in September after two years of working from home.  Part of the reason why I've just retired.  Tried wrong-side driving in England 5-10 years ago.  Scraped the left side of a BMW3 to hell on Dartmoor brambles.  Also went round-a-bout the wrong way.  Won't do that again.  Not considering it in Thailand (I don't think).  Plan is for GF to drive car I got her.  But she's the one who finds Phuket roads too dangerous.  Trucks and crazy drivers as well as sharp curves and mountains.  She might be right.

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I'm from Philly metro, smalls-ville compared to NYC & KT, then 5 yrs Memphis area (GermanTown) before coming here.  Hated BKK first couple visits, quite like it now.

Do 3 months at each, while exploring the areas.  Wouldn't buy in till you see a bit more, but if Mrs is leaning toward HH, then she's going to be around wee bit longer than yourself, so would be more practical to buy there.   Unless, no time soon, after your passing, she plans to head up to BKK herself, to be close to family, then not sure if I would buy in at all.

Philly, heh?  I guessed LA.  I hope everyone is making too big a deal of 81.  I half seriously tell everyone I'm on the 140 year plan.  (I posted elsewhere I was following David Sinclair's life extension regimen with metformin.) But you're right:  With a 40 year advantage she is liable to outlast me and so her choice of Hua Hin has extra clout.  Maybe a bit south down PKK province to Pak Nam Pran.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, habuspasha said:

Neat test.  I did 44.  Slow I guess.  I'm aware of that.  Recognized it when I went back to work in September after two years of working from home.  Part of the reason why I've just retired.  Tried wrong-side driving in England 5-10 years ago.  Scraped the left side of a BMW3 to hell on Dartmoor brambles.  Also went round-a-bout the wrong way.  Won't do that again.  Not considering it in Thailand (I don't think).  Plan is for GF to drive car I got her.  But she's the one who finds Phuket roads too dangerous.  Trucks and crazy drivers as well as sharp curves and mountains.  She might be right.

Good thinking. I am dreading the time I will have to get off my scooter. My test for that will be when I can't control it anymore with my GF riding pillion.

It also depends on the amount of confidence you have in your GF's driving skills. Most Thais are abysmal, because the instructors and licence requirements are likewise.

On 1/5/2022 at 6:49 PM, Lacessit said:

Good thinking. I am dreading the time I will have to get off my scooter. My test for that will be when I can't control it anymore with my GF riding pillion.

It also depends on the amount of confidence you have in your GF's driving skills. Most Thais are abysmal, because the instructors and licence requirements are likewise.

I have more confidence in her driving ability than she does.  I just had to curb a common tendency for new drivers (and some old ones) to follow too closely.  She's the one afraid of twists and hills in Phuket.  Of course no one finds it easy to do something they don't want to do.