Omicron set to delay reopening of bars and pubs

webfact

7 hours ago, Henryford said:

On that basis bars won't open all 2022. Omicron is just getting started and will spread easily upto June at least.

Don't speak about what you don't know...
Omicron waves in UK, Holland, Belgium and South Africa last for maximum 4 to 6 weeks. They all passed their summit after the third week, although infecting 70 times more than the other variants, but without any severe case, and probably providing a better immunity than the vaccines (this is a guess, not yet demonstrated).  So why would it last until June here ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, club said:

Was in USA to  visit family. The wife and I received our first jab of Moderna Nov 1, second jab Nov 29.We were both fully vaccinated with one of the strongest Vaccines we know of. We both wore our mask constantly except for when eating. Went out to eat Monday night . This is where we think we both were exposed to Covid. Wife Symptoms started Wednesday. no symptoms for me then. We did our pre flight PCR test Friday. We were both negative. I thought my wife had caught something was because we were in the mountains in minus 7c during  a snow storm.. Couple of hours before we landed in Bangkok my  throat felt scratchy. But that was it. Tested positive the next day. Sitting in a Hospital spending the first of 10 days. My advice to anyone is dont take your mask off when people are there with you sitting very close to you. Eat alone , order out but dont fall for this BS that its ok to take your mask off when you eat especially indoors. Also Boosters WILL NOT SPOP omicron. We were at the highest level of antibodies and still got Covid. Still get the booster to keep your level up so it can fight this infection. My scratchy throat lasted 2 days but I think if We were not vaccinated , it would be a different story. I am 64 and doing fine. My wife is much better and 40. Be safe out there. Thailand would be smart to wait before opening and any Government official that says they have Omicron under control is a liar. This strain evades all vaccines

What did it cost for the hospital?

Friend who wants to come back here from Aus' was asking on a just in case basis.

13 minutes ago, jcojco said:

Don't speak about what you don't know...
Omicron waves in UK, Holland, Belgium and South Africa last for maximum 4 to 6 weeks. They all passed their summit after the third week, although infecting 70 times more than the other variants, but without any severe case, and probably providing a better immunity than the vaccines (this is a guess, not yet demonstrated).  So why would it last until June here ? 

Indeed. I shared a similar  opinion regarding current scientific  thought on reports of omicron peaking as you suggest.

Edited by The Hammer2021

3 hours ago, Petey11 said:

Are there any bars left to open, all restaurants now by the looks of it.

Like prostitution bars dont exist in Thailand.   You're correct they are all restaurants now though they don't  serve a gram of food.  Greed and pleasure before peoples safety!

6 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Like thaifriendly.com ?

Lol.  You shouldn't let the cat out of the bag like that.  The bib might shut that down if they cant get a percent.   Don't  you know what they did to Only Fans? Why would you put this out there like that.? It's a Sausage  fest currently  anyway.  All that are working bars are on certain  social media  and spreading the love and all the little critters that go with that.  I wonder if these same guys sharing the used goods also share used toilet  tissue?

2 minutes ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Like prostitution bars dont exist in Thailand.   You're correct they are all restaurants now though they don't  serve a gram of food.  Greed and pleasure before peoples safety!

Very silly comment based on zero real knowledge. Restaurants  needs a restaurant  license and complete  kitchen, menu and food. Bars without the above might try and open but get closed down soon with big fines for managers and owners under threat of 5 year license  loss and prison here in Pattaya..

7 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Sad really when Omicron symptoms are mostly those of the common cold (makes sense as they're both Corona viruses) and from what I can gather, the mortality rate is basically nil. (In fact, some are saying infection with Omicron is a good thing as it acts like a non-lethal live virus Covid-19 vaccine.)

Yes, It displaces Delta, Governments just love the power over people.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, club said:

Was in USA to  visit family. The wife and I received our first jab of Moderna Nov 1, second jab Nov 29.We were both fully vaccinated with one of the strongest Vaccines we know of. We both wore our mask constantly except for when eating. Went out to eat Monday night . This is where we think we both were exposed to Covid. Wife Symptoms started Wednesday. no symptoms for me then. We did our pre flight PCR test Friday. We were both negative. I thought my wife had caught something was because we were in the mountains in minus 7c during  a snow storm.. Couple of hours before we landed in Bangkok my  throat felt scratchy. But that was it. Tested positive the next day. Sitting in a Hospital spending the first of 10 days. My advice to anyone is dont take your mask off when people are there with you sitting very close to you. Eat alone , order out but dont fall for this BS that its ok to take your mask off when you eat especially indoors. Also Boosters WILL NOT SPOP omicron. We were at the highest level of antibodies and still got Covid. Still get the booster to keep your level up so it can fight this infection. My scratchy throat lasted 2 days but I think if We were not vaccinated , it would be a different story. I am 64 and doing fine. My wife is much better and 40. Be safe out there. Thailand would be smart to wait before opening and any Government official that says they have Omicron under control is a liar. This strain evades all vaccines

This is a brilliant  and to the point argument  for restrictions.   People also think they wear the mask to protect themselves.   This is not true.  We wear the mask to protect thoese around us.  I wonder if people think surgeons  wear mask to protect  themselves.   The reason no one wears the inexpensive  NBC (nuclear,  biological,  chemical) mask is because it doesn't  protect  those around you.  So, people not wearing a mask are technically  assaulting  those around them. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

No idea what you want me to agree to lol

That speaks volumes.   So, you think if we can prevent one loss of life, then we shouldn't.   I said," Wouldn't  you agree that if we can prevent even one loss of life, then we should do that?"  Unless you are a money and pleasure first kind of person?

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

You know how Lazada and Shoppe and other deliver stuff to your home? would it work with the bars where they they will deliver their "products and wears" to customers at home?...

I'm sure they would if they could, just to stay afloat. However, that plan runs foul of the online alcohol sales ban recently brought in. I can't see why the government drag this out, just ban booze and then we'll all know where we stand. It is, after all, what they're aiming for eventually. However, they know that just banning it under normal circumstances would risk all out rebellion from the masses of Fortuner, pickup andmotorcycle drivers, so for the government Covid has been a blessing in disguise.

11 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Very silly comment based on zero real knowledge. Restaurants  needs a restaurant  license and complete  kitchen, menu and food. Bars without the above might try and open but get closed down soon with big fines for managers and owners under threat of 5 year license  loss and prison here in Pattaya..

This is in correct.  I can walk in many bars right now all over Paytaya and they have no kitchen.   I do better than that, there a bar on beach road between soi 6 and soi 6 that doesn't  have SHA+ a kitchen,  overn, grill, grease trap, or even a microwave that is under the guise of being a restaurant.   Not only that there are several bars on soi buakow  six and other places that never renovated and out in kitchens.   You can make all the false statements  you want it doesnt  change the reality.   Bars that don't serve food, have kitchens  and in many cases are just like prostitution  that didnt exists  in Thailand  until a police Captain  admitted last week, are operating  the same way hidden in plain sight.  However,  there were a few that did somehow put in the baer min to classify as a restaurant,  but in reality  are monger spots.  I have friends that own restaurants,  and they are stunned tgat the bars het away with this when they had to have special hrease traps installed to get a restaurant license. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Thailand  has excelled the USA in almost every aspect of its covid protocols. The USA has failed in so many ways its sad.

Exactly!  Thanks for supporting  my statement.   Now that its a free for all in resort towns and the virus is here it will spread.

5 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Lol.. hell no.. Soi 6 wide open last night, Beach Road Bars wide open. Stones house Ibar, more on Walking street ... open.  Perhaps  the murder  closed some down a couple days, but i disagree,  bars are open everywhere.  Lets remember  before Thais always denied Prostitution  existed,  though it flurished in certain  towns.  Now recently  one police chief  has admitted prostitution now exist.  Times are changing.   My point is is culturak to look the othe way or just ignore, and its not rrally there or happening.   Im sure soon there will be a lockdown.   Though they dont want to call it a lockdown.   Be prepared  to go back dark red.  China is locking down so are other countries.   I guess the alcoholic addict monger will have a surprise  soon, as its obvious  greed and pleasure  are the only reasons they are in Thailand 

Your reference to China . We all know that China has close connections with Thailand but hopefully Thailand will continue to decide its own covid strategy . Because China has a zero tolerance on covid outbreaks . Meaning any single covid case means a lock down for the affected area ( in the majority of its provinces ) . Even Hong Kong only allows its own nationals to visit and that comes with a 3 week self isolation in a quarantine hotel at your own expense . So in context Thailand's own covid rules are more acceptable to most (at the moment ) . If only they could understand the meaning of the word called honour . 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Ministry of Public Healthy indicated yesterday that pubs, bars and nightlife entertainment were likely to remain shut after the middle of this month.

Thailand, you have my sympathy. It is "all systems go" here in Cambodia with bars, pubs and nightclubs open, the only restrictions being public health issues such as face masks when in the open and hand sanitization. Yes, Omicron is here so time will tell.

For reference:-

"Siem Reap has become the Kingdom’s biggest tourism attraction as almost 190,000 tourists visited on New Year’s Day"

0hbdd01a-360x245.jpg

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501000026/sr-top-new-years-holiday-destination/

"Thailand and Cambodia have shown opposite statistics when it comes to the highly contagious Omicron variant of the coronavirus. To date, Thailand has recorded more than 1500 of which 779 involved foreigners while Cambodia recorded 75 cases as of Tuesday, all comprising imported cases of passengers arriving in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap (airports)

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501000333/thailands-omicron-cases-exceeds-1500-while-cambodia-records-75-cases/

8 hours ago, club said:

I find this statement quite foolish…so you have a break through infection and now all vaccines are not effective against this strain - based on your sample size of two?

I really don’t know of any family or close friends who are not vaccinated and none of them have had Covid…

one close golf buddy it got along with his 2 daughters in the US over a year ago and that’s all I personally know…

it’s a very low probability if one is fully vaccinated, healthy, not possess compromised illnesses/immune system  or other poor health factors like age obesity or known/unknown high risk exposures…

Some people are just unlucky - whether catching AIDS, perish in an air crash, killed by a drunk driver or reeling in Covid…

irrational or disinformation to say I got Covid therefore vaccines aren’t all that effective….the data says otherwise….

• Sad 1

All the bars in Pattaya and Jomtien have been open for e few weeks now.  Does the Govt know this?  Saying that the bars will remain closed would indicate that the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.  Not a new concept here.

• Haha 2

"Today's decision will be anxiously awaited with many tourists abroad also using it to inform their decision about whether to come to Thailand - or delay once again."

If I was a tourist I would have made my mind up months ago - and it wouldn't be to visit a country that changes its mind about rules and regulations for entering the country about as often as I have coffee and toast for breakfast - which is a bit like a fix for a junkie (I would think!)

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Bit like Immigration Offices then - different rules for different places?

1 hour ago, WEBBYB808 said:

I have friends that own restaurants,  and they are stunned tgat the bars het away with this when they had to have special hrease traps installed to get a restaurant license. 

Remember which country you are in and some additional funding can help.

10 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

How do you know owners & mangaers are anti vax? have you asked them all personally?

I know of one, the staff had the vax without his knowledge in the end....must be others out there... 

10 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Fully expected this to happen.  You can kiss away any entertainment to be sanctioned for opening until June, and that may be wishful thinking.  Thailand is now on a full-throttle downward dive into oblivion.

I got covid on New Years Eve after getting the Pfizer jabs last year.  Don't know what flavor because I self tested, not wanting to end up in a Gulag (or even a Stalag) by being officially tested by the local Commissars. 

Anyway, I've done the right thing and stayed home like a good little Comrade and done my best to prevent myself from initiating the destruction of mankind.

Now day 5 or 6, a runny nose, the odd sneeze, healthy appetite, and restful unbroken sleep.  If I had to rate it against my worst case of influenza in about 1995 that laid me up for a fortnight and I lost 15kg in weight, the covid I'm experiencing doesn't even rate as a mild Cold.  I'm actually disappointed.

Runny nose is associated with Omicron.