Phuket hotels desperate as "insured" foreign tourists with Covid denied coverage, refuse to go to hospital - "Hospitel" shortage admitted

webfact

13 minutes ago, samtam said:

My two friends are rich and have a house too. They were not given the option to isolate at home.

To bad for them there are also reports of foreigners who have isolated at home. But these were probably not first in a SHA hotel but tested in a hospital somewhere. Like i said you have to be lucky many expats could possible get home isolation. 

But not of courseif your in the test and go but if you get tested near where you live and you can make it work. I doubt it will work for test and go. 

It wasn't so long ago that it was reported insurance companies requested they be allowed to cancel covid policies because they had already paid-out I think it was 38m Baht and only had about 100m Baht left in the kitty.

So, what was the pm's answer?  Does the current situation hold any clues?  I wonder.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

If I did not absolutely have to make this trip to the US to settle estate business and such I would be staying and not leaving next week with a return in February.

Hopefully I do not get stuck outside and can return, even if I have to quarantine here.  At least the US is not forcing me to isolate and quarantine upon arrival.

I'm right there with ya buddy, I leave in 9 days and come back beginning of May (US tax business) so hope all this sorted out by then.  Don't want to be shut out as I was a couple of years ago where I had to wait until the end of August to on a repatriation flight to get back to my family.

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

To bad for them there are also reports of foreigners who have isolated at home. But these were probably not first in a SHA hotel but tested in a hospital somewhere. Like i said you have to be lucky many expats could possible get home isolation. 

But not of courseif your in the test and go but if you get tested near where you live and you can make it work. I doubt it will work for test and go. 

Unfortunately this is as always the problem. No fixed rules which apply to all.

This from Thai PBS was released today, but it too is vague, and seems to lack any official government backing. But what it does seem to suggest is that any of these rules are "guidelines", so why PCR testing facilities and hospitals are suggesting that they are under government rules to admit asymptomatic positive cases, is  highly suspect. I was informed by a clinic that they are obliged under government rules to refer PCR positive results to hospitals for 10 days, "if you have insurance", and to a quarantine hotel if you do not.

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It is obvious that those who test positive need to isolate, even when asymptomatic.

The obvious solution is that the ‘green cases’ isolate at their SHA Plus+ hotel as they would in any ASQ hotel. 

They’re not going to like it, but thats the nature of the beast which is travel in current times. 

Owners are not going to like it - but they wanted to take incoming tourists and secured the SHA Plus + for a reason, they have to take the smooth with the rough. 

There is no need to be sent to hospital unless symptomatic, in which case the government forces insurance to cover the hospitalisation. 

It has become clear that International Insurance providers need to be relied upon for such issues. 

It needs to be made clear to avoid any Thai Insurance company.

I agree with everything you say especially the SHA hotels desperately wanting any business and should indeed keep any infected on test & go in there hotels on day one and be grateful for the the additional business. Only issue now if the 5 day PCR test when most have left that hotel, usually because they are not where you would want to spend too long in them, and moved on to final resort style accommodation or condos which can either offer 24/7 room service in resorts or 24/7 deliveries by Grab, Bolt or many other food delivery companies. The problem is policing these people. I've already met many selfish, ignorant <deleted> who openly admit they have been fully jabbed and will carry on regardless as its THIER holiday and <deleted> everyone else and it this type of mentality the Thai government has come to expect from many farangs and possibly why they are insisting on hospitalization where there is a measure of control especially if someone deteriorates rather rapidly but really unlucky if asymptomatic with no symptoms.

I digress, because this is about insurance companies and covid cover or lack of it for asymptomatic people. Under some comparison sites they have highlighted on the policy the option of asymptomatic or symptomatic cover only so you have the choice at the point of ordering. All this became apparent last year when a few unfortunate people doing 15 day quarantine were dragged spitting and screaming to the hospital after failing their day 5 RT-PCR test stating "but i have no symptoms" It soon spread on social media that symptoms or not, make sure you are bloody sick by the time you arrive. I thought this was the reason  insurance companies were now offering the choice of policy!! I think the Thai government needs to openly clarify quarantine at home whether house or condo and insurance regulators need to make travel policies and medical cover in Thailand very much clearer than they are currently doing or this is just going to stop more and more people traveling to Thailand because of bad press due people simply not reading the policies before buying!!

All that said I hate travel and medical insurance companies with a vengeance and would rather not bother especially once you're older than 65 because  the cost is ridiculous and they all use claim agents who's sole purpose in life is to stop you getting paid out for a claim!! parasites and leeches the lot of em..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It is obvious that those who test positive need to isolate, even when asymptomatic.

The obvious solution is that the ‘green cases’ isolate at their SHA Plus+ hotel as they would in any ASQ hotel. 

They’re not going to like it, but thats the nature of the beast which is travel in current times. 

Owners are not going to like it - but they wanted to take incoming tourists and secured the SHA Plus + for a reason, they have to take the smooth with the rough. 

There is no need to be sent to hospital unless symptomatic, in which case the government forces insurance to cover the hospitalisation. 

It has become clear that International Insurance providers need to be relied upon for such issues. 

It needs to be made clear to avoid any Thai Insurance company.

Isn't it possible to fake symptomatic,"Oh dear, I'm feeling poorly, no energy, headache, sore throat, I need treatment," I'm sure the doctors would go along with it. 

Edited by soalbundy

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I'm confused. A lot of the policies I see - and would use if I could get there - would be one covering asymptomatic cases as well as the 50,000 USD coverage. Is this not a case of people buying unsuitable insurance to get in  rather than one covering what they need to cover asymptomatic issues ? 

Which policies are you seeing that cover asymptomatic cases? I need to come back to Thailand but won't without a policy that covers this risk. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

What a frigging self made mess. If insurance companies don't pay for Green cases then the insurance is useless and that should have been identified before regulations for sandbox or test and go were ever implemented.

This was to be expected. - That's why I have no intention to enter the place until this fake insurance requirement is waived.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 2

When I chose my policy for entering on the test and go I read the terms. Most specifically said they did not cover asymptomatic hospitalization. I paid an extra few hundred baht for one that specifically said it did cover it.

All the policies I looked at were clear one way or the other, so I don't see the fraud here.

Whereas health care facilities can recommend that an asymptomatic person with a positive SARS-Cov-2 test should self-isolate at home under certain conditions there remains the question whether hotel guests qualify, in particular whether staying in a hotel room counts as being "able to isolate in an abode alone".

HSS Director-General Dr. Tares Krassanairawiwong outlined today that the new “2021 Care, Prevention, Control and Forwarding of COVID-19 Patients by Medical Facilities declaration” allows private hospitals and clinics that identify green level COVID-19 patients, to recommend such individuals undertake Home Isolation. Previously, the declaration obligated the facilities to immediately admit them and coordinate the forwarding of these patients, but the requirement led to many places turning away people seeking tests.

Facilities that place patients in Home Isolation have to provide them with temperature scanners, oxygen gauges, pharmaceuticals, and food and engage in regular video calls with them so that prompt action may be taken if their condition deteriorates. The new declaration takes retroactive effect from July 9, and medical facilities are asked to resume COVID-19 testing.

Patients assigned to Home Isolation must be younger than 60 years of age, in good health, not present any symptoms of the virus, not be obese or suffering from a chronic illness and be able to isolate in an abode alone. They must submit of their own free will to the approach, and have their capacity evaluated by a physician.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG210715143150377

Edited by Puccini

I sure would like to know the names of the insurance cos. that are stiffing these people. At such time I make a needed trip to LOS and I need to obtain insurance to meet entry requirements, I will avoid those cos. like well, the "proverbial plague/virus".

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ohno said:

Insurance covering asymptomatic hospitalization has been available for some time. You would hope that these policies would be paying out as promised ...

This site shows prices for symptomatic and non-symptomatic cover for different ages and timeframes, quite useful. All policies listed are Thai:

Capture.PNG.147cde1eb8fcdaed7a098b451cfd859b.PNG

https://asq.in.th/thailand-entry-requirements

The reasons given for asymptomatic tourists being "denied coverage" isn't clear, but as you can see from the above, 2 of the 5 policies specifically do not include it, including the cheapest one.

So, for 'asymptomatic', one has to fork out almost 32% more at the same company! - At least, do they pay right away, or does the client still have to pay the bills first?

Edited by StayinThailand2much

4 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

So, for 'asymptomatic', one has to fork out almost 32% more at the same company! -

I'm pretty sure paying out say an extra £20-30 to cover a potential £1000 bill for being moved to a hospital for asymptomatic is a reasonable gamble considering you have just forked out potentially £500-600 for a flight and pre flight test.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nino3 said:

Correct!. Medically necessary is the policy wording. If not medically necessary then no, the insurer will not pay. The AXA policy does cover green cases but only medical treatment, hospital stay but not sure of a Hospitel stay. With that said, anyone holding the AXA policy may beg to be sent to the hospital and not hospitel. 

"Hospitel" seems to be a recent Thai invention and used only in Thailand.

https://www.bangkokhospital.com/en/content/hospitel-services

https://sukumvithospital.com/healthcontent.php?id=3718&language=en

22 minutes ago, Guemlum said:

Never trusted Thai insurance companies which is why I’ve also taken out a 2nd policy with an insurer here in the UK.

Same here, took out the minimum $50000 including asymptotic cover for 30 days with Tune Protect but also renewed my annual travel policy with £15m of cover including Covid, with a UK insurer. 

The fact that they each cost the same at about £110, kind of highlights what’s going on here? However I wasn’t going to take the risk. 

Turkey, Sri Lanka imploding from news...this muddy grey area issue on hospital costs should be the last straw for Thailand...no way they can absorb near 3 years of closed for unrestricted tourism.

I'm surprised how the currency has barely been impacted...I'd guess

it would slide fast at some point if they are not full open by

October 2022 ?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, connda said:

A lot would be solved if they would stop holding foreigners to a different standard of care than they do Thais. 

Thais pop positive and go to a Covid quarantine facility if asymptomatic or may even be allowed to quarantine at home.

A foreigner if forced into an expensive private hospital. Period.

You don't have to be Einstein to understand the greed driving the government to force asymptomatic foreign cases into their 'friend's' expensive hospitals.

Nobody I know is coming here and I had a lot of US friends who came here annually and stayed upwards of a month.  I'll keep those friends apprised of the current 'insurance fiasco' and forced hospital incarceration.  They already know about the latter.  None of my friends want to deal with this nonsense.  The difference between schemes and scams now are blurred beyond recognition.

The old Thai guy who live two doors down from me tested positive about 2 weeks ago.  They just roped of the front of his house with some of that red taffeta string these use here to tie up parcels.

3 hours ago, Cabradelmar said:

Its fairly clear what policies pay or don't pay asymptomatic cases (at this point you'd be crazy to buy a package that dose not includes it). What's also clear is what the government is saying about how asymptomatic cases should be handled (self quarantine at home - e.g., in your SHA+ certified hotel room). Seems like the hotels are the ones trying to have it all (taking the tourist money and shuffle the asymptomatic one to hospital to open up a room to someone who will buy overpriced massages and excursion packages). I think the hotels should get no sympathy for this stunt, they wanted the SHA+ designation, deal with it, and I hope the government does not back this BS by the hotels. To be honest, I would not travel on a sandbox/test-and-go scheme anywhere in Thailand right now.

All of this is moot anyway.  In 5 to 6 weeks from now all of the hospitals will be full again and so quarantine in place with have to be implemented.  

• Like 1