Phuket hotels desperate as "insured" foreign tourists with Covid denied coverage, refuse to go to hospital - "Hospitel" shortage admitted

webfact

5 hours ago, rebo said:

Be sure that at the very same moment I‘ll be tested positiv I‘ll develop heavy symptoms of any kind I can imagine known for Covid.

Insurance problem solved.

Being 'streetwise' is good, like your style, this is also what crossed my mind.

But the wise thing, in my opinion anyway, is to just forget about the place for a fair while.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Most foreign insurers don't cover hospital expenses when they are not medically necessary, but I think that some of the products offered by Thai insurers for inbound travelers do

To my knowledge that is true.

I have a full international policy 20 years and i am sure it will not cover me for hospitalization if i am not sick.

Health polict and Travel policy will also not cover me for quarantine hotel when i return because it does not cover my home country.

The problen is not only with thai policies,

However, as reported there is a totally wrong attitude in many of the thai "necessary policies" which is just a rip off.

Edited by jojothai
Add detail

10 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

i can guess the coming solutions - visitors must buy a special insurance that cover asymptomatic hospitalization. the solution is allways in the way that makes the tourist pay more. but the real outcome is that a growing number of tourists stop seeing thailand as their next destination and forget about it.  thailand lose big time.

Probably you should get an insurance in case your other insurance is not covering whatever they'll come up with.

Of course, this step can be repeated until you run our of insurance companies or money, whatever occurs first.????????????

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It is obvious that those who test positive need to isolate, even when asymptomatic.

The obvious solution is that the ‘green cases’ isolate at their SHA Plus+ hotel as they would in any ASQ hotel. 

They’re not going to like it, but thats the nature of the beast which is travel in current times. 

Owners are not going to like it - but they wanted to take incoming tourists and secured the SHA Plus + for a reason, they have to take the smooth with the rough. 

There is no need to be sent to hospital unless symptomatic, in which case the government forces insurance to cover the hospitalisation. 

It has become clear that International Insurance providers need to be relied upon for such issues. 

It needs to be made clear to avoid any Thai Insurance company.

Thats where you are totally mistaken. It is the non Thai insurances that are refusing to pay because they will not cover non essential hospital care ie sent to hospital where you are asymptomatic. Many many people are taking out Thai Insurance policies from Luma and AXA Sawasdee who both cover asymptomatic hospital costs and will pay the hospital direct rather than paying yourself and having to try and claim the money back as is with most non Thai policies.

Edited by jimn
  • Like 1

I don't get it. You need to be double vaxed and tested before travelling and everybody knows you can still catch/spread covid so if you test positive on arrival but are asymptomatic why should it matter? Who are you going to come into contact with that isn't vaxed. I mean the local thais in the sandbox must be double jabbed otherwise they shouldn't be there. How accurate are the tests & how many people are actually in ICU suffering life threatening symptoms rather than just a runny nose?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dumbfounded said:

You need to be double vaxed

Only double ? Here, in Austria, you need triple yet ????

Have flight on the 13th to Bkk. Waiting for some official info to enter with test&go...

Feels like one guy told some bulls*it and now they're all thinking what to do, noone wants to be responsible. 

And i've got a feeling that the world turns into something described in the Atlas Shrugged

Edited by ololosha

12 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

What a frigging self made mess. If insurance companies don't pay for Green cases then the insurance is useless and that should have been identified before regulations for sandbox or test and go were ever implemented.

Why should insurance companies pay for hospitalization of perfectly healthy people. Would you want to go to hospital just because of a positive test when you're feeling fine? It's probably the last place you'd want to go whether the insurance company pays or not.

The only solution is for the government to set up quarantine hotels and put them in there. Thailand is desperate for tourists so they need to put up with the good and the bad.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dumbfounded said:

I've read test & go suspended till end Jan

Not for those who have applied before 22nd December ????

However now waiting for the update if they allow to enter after 10th January (i guess everyone is waiting for some update regarding it)

13 hours ago, samtam said:

Or to put it another way, anybody planning to come to Thailand should not.

Talked to 2 colleagues today and they had different opinions.

1 had cancelled the vacation he planned for this month and the other one insists on going to Thailand in Feb, 

well aware that a positive test on arrival could ruin it all.

I guess it's all about how much you are willing to gamle.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

How can they have been admitted to the country and passed the insurance screening process if the insurance becomes invalid if only asymptomatic.  Oh wait that is right most insurances will not pay for non-treatment.

I think what they are saying is that insurance companies won't pay for tourists in hospital that's why the tourists won't go , I could have read it wrong but hey ho.

• Like 1

This mess could have been avoided if The Thai govt had insisted that  coverage cover expenses for asystematic cases, the coverage could have been verified both when applying for a visa on the Thai Pass website from hell and at the airport by immigration

17 hours ago, ezzra said:

Which bring me to my earlier post from few days back, why on earth would anyone want to travel anywhere now where most places on earth are a bed Covid/Delta/Omicron infestations and no matter what vaccines you got or how many?... but there's no shortage of clueless, ignorant people who thinks that they're above danger...

You mean danger of a flu? Or danger of being severely limited due to restrictions and lockdowns? I worry about the latter but not the former.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RandiRona said:

Let me see under what category I would file this in..mmmm... Insurance fraud committed by Insurance companies. Other categories under which it could go ...Bait and Switch

...Dumb Falangs

...Doomed Tourism.

It's my understanding that the tourists are asymptomatic. Understandable  that the insurance Co's don't want to pay for people who aren't sick. Why are the Falangs dumb? I feel for the hotels who are the piggy in the middle in this situation, as are the tourists.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bernietravelling said:

a small hint:

Check the background of some of the medical advisors from the CCSA,

… and you might be surprised to find some interesting bios, which explain these quarantine rules.

yes, self interest and money is number 1 - I think everyone is fully aware of that

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nchuckle said:

I notice your cover is for max $150 per day = less than 5000 baht a night  for a total of 14 days = 70,000. Reports are of considerably more than that in private hospitals. 

I don't use private hospitals.

9 hours ago, jojothai said:

To my knowledge that is true.

I have a full international policy 20 years and i am sure it will not cover me for hospitalization if i am not sick.

Health polict and Travel policy will also not cover me for quarantine hotel when i return because it does not cover my home country.

The problen is not only with thai policies,

However, as reported there is a totally wrong attitude in many of the thai "necessary policies" which is just a rip off.

Often when something becomes mandatory, one loses a certain element of choice and the providers obtain an advantage. Insurance for visitors is no exception, but I think it unwise to come here on holiday or for a longer stay without either travel/medical insurance or the financial resources to address an expensive stay in hospital.  Travel insurance for visitors and health insurance for those staying longer is not a rip-off, although it can get expensive and one needs to choose wisely.

In an ironic twist, it is actually the Thai insurers that so many like to bash that offer a product that does cover hospital costs when one is required by Thai health authorities to be hospitalized when asymptomatic. I have yet to hear of a non-Thai insurer offering this cover, but I will concede that it is possible that some do.

15 minutes ago, dogfish180 said:

I was always under the impression from the start of this Scamdemic, that all the lockdowns, vaccines, etc. was to prevent hospitals being overwhelmed. Seems now that the hospitals are so desperate for business that they want people in beds who require no treatment! ????

Why do you even bother, unless you truly believe this is the biggest Hoax perpetrated on mankind and a conspiracy, to post except to troll.

• Confused 1

The other people in the hotel could be quarantined because they used an elevator that an infected tourist used, or a stairwell, or a table for dinner or a chair or...

I agree with the idea of staying in the hotel in theory, but I don't think it's right it causes other people in the hotel have to be quarantined as well.

No good solution?