Phuket hotels desperate as "insured" foreign tourists with Covid denied coverage, refuse to go to hospital - "Hospitel" shortage admitted

webfact

----Capture.JPG

However The Thai Gov just love Squid Games - and have wonderfully created their own version of these games . . . as every foreigner is now finding out when they try to enter Thailand.

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It is obvious that those who test positive need to isolate, even when asymptomatic.

The obvious solution is that the ‘green cases’ isolate at their SHA Plus+ hotel as they would in any ASQ hotel. 

They’re not going to like it, but thats the nature of the beast which is travel in current times. 

Owners are not going to like it - but they wanted to take incoming tourists and secured the SHA Plus + for a reason, they have to take the smooth with the rough. 

There is no need to be sent to hospital unless symptomatic, in which case the government forces insurance to cover the hospitalisation. 

It has become clear that International Insurance providers need to be relied upon for such issues. 

It needs to be made clear to avoid any Thai Insurance company.

A practical solution.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

What a frigging self made mess. If insurance companies don't pay for Green cases then the insurance is useless and that should have been identified before regulations for sandbox or test and go were ever implemented.

its exactly why i dont pay for the extortionately expensive insurance here.

they never want to pay out.......all a rip off

but anyway, who in their right mind would come here for a holiday now?

none of these idiots are doing research clearly

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Is this not a case of people buying unsuitable insurance to get in  rather than one covering what they need to cover asymptomatic issues ? 

Quite.  My policy had an Overseas Quarantine allowance.

insurance sample_a_Page_1.jpg

Edited by sandyf
  • Like 1

Whilst I do despise insurance companies practices on most fronts, why would they pay a lengthy hospital bill for someone who is technically not sick ? Asymptomatic means no symptoms I.e not "sick" a hospital stay is way over the top. Have them take a new test every other day to see if it passes in the hotel

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, ozfarang said:

The question is why, is the USD50.000 compulsory insurance coverage required to enter Thailand.

Seems like a money grab by the insurance companies in collaboration with the Thai government. Just another way to fleece the unsuspecting tourist, who would have thought.......?

My understanding is that the Insurance doesn’t have to with a Thai Insurance company so where is the conspiratorial fleecing?

• Like 1

people must be desperate to get Thai p***y to come for a vacation here with current rules, esp so with families with children but even singles. If only for sun and beach better go for some other place without this goverment trap

or really people can be so unaware of the risk and its implications if materialize?

Edited by mran66
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, connda said:

Wait for the government to forcefully incarcerate the first foreigner who is fully covered for Covid with an 'accepted' policy after which the insurance refuses to pay, the hospital hands the foreigner a hefty hospital bill, the the government holds the foreigner hostage until they pay.

Nothing new there. In 2003 I was taken to Pattaya Memorial with broken ribs, the hospital took my passport on admission and wouldn't return it till I settled the bill.

I had insurance but had to pay them cash and claim it back.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

Nothing new there. In 2003 I was taken to Pattaya Memorial with broken ribs, the hospital took my passport on admission and wouldn't return it till I settled the bill.

I had insurance but had to pay them cash and claim it back.

In cash we trust not so much insurance companies

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Hotels want them off the premises and sent to hospitals but the insurance companies are refusing to honor policies saying they have to pay for hospitals.

The foreigners are pointing out that they are insured and won't pay for hospitalization

Who in their right mind would want to come to Thailand for a holiday...

Hub of scams.

• Sad 2

It was fairly obvious that there were scenarios not covered by insurance ie false positive, seated next to a positive case etc. and that you would have to fund the costs yourself.

Exactly the reason I did not travel and am now trying to get the wife to come and visit me, because it is so much easier.

I wouldn't go as far as to call them self-entitled, but certainly they did not give it the amount of thought that it warranted.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2long said:

All above posters are spot on, as I'm sure many below will be.

No one wants to be forced to buy insurance, but insurance that doesn't cover what it's designed to cover is ridiculous!

This mob really have no idea!

On the contrary, it was a brilliant idea.

Buy Thai insurance and no need to pay out.. until positives started to increase.

• Haha 2

As I’ve frequently mentioned on these forums most travel insurance will cover you for Covid under their MEDICAL cover (emergency medical cover). But elsewhere it will specifically exclude quarantine requirements of the country. So if you are not ill and not requiring medical intervention there is no medical necessity and you are quarantining- thus excluded. Saw this confusion coming a mile off and the current situation as has blown up in the faces of travellers and Thai authorities. So it has come to pass and my further prediction is that this will do reputation all damage to Thai tourism .. and well deserved too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, poohy said:

In cash we trust not so much insurance companies

Quite. There appears to a fundamental failing in modern day living.

When I used to come on holiday I wouldn't dream of it without some fairly secure back up arrangements.

Any insurance problem is between the insured and the insurer, not a third party and the insurer.

People have to remember who was responsible for reading the small print.

Alas, such a mess may be behind the recently announced backtracking on honouring already issued Thailand Passes after January 10th.

Note that even a full quarantine for all arrivals I will soon make little difference any more. You emerge from quarantine as a covid negative, only to get infected two days later in town.

• Like 1

Theres also many cases posting on social media who are testing positive (with no instructions or contact info) and then.. nothing happens, no one calls them, no one tells them what to do, they call hospitals who dont call back, they are trying to self report and theres no working system for what happens next. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Who in their right mind would want to come to Thailand for a holiday...

Hub of scams.

You will likely face the same problem if you travel to any other country and test positive for covid.

This is not just a Thailand issue.

They should  name the insurance companies that are refusing to pay.

I just came in a couple weeks ago using the test and go and bought local insurance that stated that they would cover you should this happen, my personal insurance could have been used but i know they would not pay.

Anywhere you travel and test positive you will have to cover your medical expense, most hotels will not keep you if they know you have covid.

28 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Quite.  My policy had an Overseas Quarantine allowance.

insurance sample_a_Page_1.jpg

I notice your cover is for max $150 per day = less than 5000 baht a night  for a total of 14 days = 70,000. Reports are of considerably more than that in private hospitals. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

I notice your cover is for max $150 per day = less than 5000 baht a night  for a total of 14 days = 70,000. Reports are of considerably more than that in private hospitals. 

There will be some out of pocket expense, always been.

The insurance will adjust the rate for the hospital and it won't be the same as a person just walking off the street, insurance company in most cases have you go to a hospital where they have the rate worked out.