Entering Thailand with new passport and visa in old passport?

Hi

I have a question about my current Thailand Retirement OA Visa which is still valid in my current South African passport 

The latest Visa extension is valid until 22 October 2022. I have a Re-entry Permit Stamp also valid until 22 October 2022.

I am currently in South Africa for a few months but intend to return to Thailand before the Visa expiry date of 22 October 2022.

My current passport expires on 19 August 2025, so I would like to get a new passport whilst I am currently in South Africa as this will be much easier than trying to get a new South African  passport when I am back in Thailand.

So my question is what will happen to the status of the current Retirement Visa and re-entry permit if I get a new South African passport?

I believe that I can re-enter Thailand using the old and new passports - is this correct? Is this common? Would there be any issues at Thai Immigration at Phuket or Bangkok airports trying to enter with an old and new passport.

I still need to confirm 100% that I am allowed to keep my old passport when I get a new one but Im pretty sure that's not an issue.

So please can you advise regards entering Thailand with a new passport and my visa and re-entry stamp in the old passport. if you think there is any risk then I would rather use the current passport and renew it when back in Thailand even though that is likely to be a big pain. 

Thank you very much for your help with this issue.

They do not cut the corner off the old passport page with the  visa on it 

So visa is still valid you can enter carrying old and new passport ( i have done it a few times)

They can transfer visa to new passport on arrival but warning it really does or did P***s them off 

They may just make go to your local  immigration to do it 

• Like 2

Thanks Poohy

Just to be clear, are you saying that the corner page would be cut on the rest of the old passport - but just not on the page with the Visa and Re-entry? And what about the page with the original Visa sticker?

i.e. if those pages are not cut there then they are still valid?

Or must the whole of the old passport remain uncut? Just want to be clear when I renew the passport what to request regards the old one.

I don't mind doing the transfer to the new passport at local immigration.

Thanks

9 minutes ago, poohy said:

They do not cut the corner off the old passport page with the  visa on it 

So visa is still valid you can enter carrying old and new passport ( i have done it a few times)

They can transfer visa to new passport on arrival but warning it really does or did P***s them off 

They may just make go to your local  immigration to do it 

Thanks Poohy

Just to be clear, are you saying that the corner page would be cut on the rest of the old passport - but just not on the page with the Visa and Re-entry? And what about the page with the original Visa sticker?

Or must the whole of the old passport remain uncut? Just want to be clear when I renew the passport what to request regards the old one.

Thanks

Hi Badger

Good question

This is from memory cant find the old passport i need amongst the pile

i am UK citizen in my case old passport is deleted corner cut off all pages and covers

• except for valid visa stamp and re entry page they made stickers/tags for pages to be left uncut at embassy (yes a few years ago)

i dont think anything happened to the original stamp page i.e it was cut 

Your embassy or agent will know for sure 

5 hours ago, Bodger22 said:

Thanks Poohy

Thanks

My passport  ID page was cut only

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bodger22 said:

I believe that I can re-enter Thailand using the old and new passports - is this correct?

In a similar situation, I have in the past stapled my passport together and it was smooth sailing. Not SA passport though.

when they issue new passport, they normally stamp the old passport saying, ' passport cancelled, Visa's Valid'

I renewed my US passport last year and was surprised to find that the waiting time was much shorter here in Thailand than it would have been in the U.S. That may be because at that time the pandemic was much more serious in the U.S. than here, but don't take for granted that you will be at a disadvantage getting it done outside your home country. 

• Like 1

Not sure of the procedure outside Thailand, but if you did this in Thailand, with the new passport your embassy would include a letter to Thai immigration requesting the visa and re-entry permit be transferred to the new passport (or some such, I forget the exact wording). At immigration offices here in Thailand, they will do that for you free of charge. Maybe the SA passport office will supply a similar document.

55 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Not sure of the procedure outside Thailand, but if you did this in Thailand, with the new passport your embassy would include a letter to Thai immigration requesting the visa and re-entry permit be transferred to the new passport (or some such, I forget the exact wording). At immigration offices here in Thailand, they will do that for you free of charge. Maybe the SA passport office will supply a similar document.

The Embassy letter is only required if you obtained your new passport in Thailand - i.e. it's unused.  If you obtained a new passport overseas and used it to enter Thailand, you don't need a letter.  You just take the old passport to Immigration and get the Extension stamp (but not a visa) transferred.  If you have a visa in the old passport you need to continue to present both passports, until the visa has expired or is used.

• Sad 1

When you apply for the new passport in SA ask them not to invalidate the page with your visa. Bring both passports to Thailand, border control will stamp permitted to stay in the Kingdom according to your visa. Once you are in the country, go to your local immigration to transfer your visa from old to new passport. If I remember correctly the fee for the transfer is 500 Baht. After that, you don't need to carry both passports anymore.

14 minutes ago, Thalueng said:

When you apply for the new passport in SA ask them not to invalidate the page with your visa. Bring both passports to Thailand, border control will stamp permitted to stay in the Kingdom according to your visa. Once you are in the country, go to your local immigration to transfer your visa from old to new passport. If I remember correctly the fee for the transfer is 500 Baht. After that, you don't need to carry both passports anymore.

There is no fee for transfer of stamps. (some offices will try a service charge)

They do not transfer visas. 

On first pages of new passport the transfer the information about the visa if you had one.

Most places cut the front cover and impeded info on identity page.

They also put a stamp that states any visa, reentry permits etc remain valid.

If you are given a letter then hold on to it to show immigration in Thailand..

Stamps must be transferred at immigration office where they were issued. 

• Like 1

On Swedish passport they just cut corner just front cover and nothing else. On my last passport they made 3 small star shaped perforations through front cover and page 1. I have done a couple of entries since I moved here 26 years ago with passports issued in Sweden. They always stamped the due date from the old passport in Bangkok without questions.

26 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Is there a designated desk, at CW, for transfer of extension to new passport or just join the usual Q for extensions etc?

Good report from @SooKee 

You might find useful and specific to CW.

When I did the process at CW did not require all the items on the link but most.

Had process done at extension desks. L 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1168558-transfer-stamp-to-new-passport/?do=findComment&comment=16402397

Edited by DrJack54

• 3 weeks later...

As I explained before, this is exactly the procedure to follow. But it may differ by immigration office, my post relates to Hua Hin IO, and they do charge the 500 Baht transfer fee. If you're a Swiss national you must request they do not punch your relevant pages, otherwise they punch all pages and your visa does become invalid by international standards. Other countries might do it differently, and the Thai IO might still honor your extension in the invalidated passport.