Thailand Presses On With Provincial Airport Developments Despite Having Low Or No Commercial Air Traffic

webfact

1 hour ago, kimamey said:

I don't know how easy it would be to organise this but It might make things easier for passengers. Maybe a more central hub as you've suggested or 2 or 3 smaller hubs.  Using smaller planes would be a good idea and in the future it might be possible to use electric power. Kan Airways website is still up but still has had the same message for a few years. I don't know if any of the other parts of the business are still operating.

International flights use pilots trained to international standards and I assume domestic flights do the same. Imagine flying on a Thai Airways A380 with a pilot that had been tested by taxiing round some cones at the airport because it would be too dangerous to test them in the air. ????

The very first thai a380 was damaged by unskilled pilot while parking at hangar at BKK. 
it was not serious, but shows level of organisation

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChC1 said:

That being said, provincial airports can be served as a diversion airport. For example, if Bangkok suffered devastating accidents that both runways had to cease operation for a day or longer, inbound aircrafts can divert to nearby provincial airports instead of returning to origin countries (which can be 6 hours flying away in case of UAE). It rarely happens, but when emergency occurs, it helps. One of the best example I can think of is during 9-11, when USA shut its door for inbound traffic, all those aircrafts were due to land in USA was forced to land in some remote airports in Canada. Some of the Canadian airports have little commercial traffic but it kindly opened to all those aircrafts from Europe and USA. Before that day, how many passengers would fly to Gander Airport? I mean, how many of you posters here even heard of this airport? 

For emergency traffic there is utapao airport, former USA bomber base with 4.5km runway for the worlds heaviest planes. 
it was used in 2008 when yellow shirt mob shutdown both bangkok airports. 
its being developed into civilian one. With new terminal, motorway, rail link to both bangkoks airports

Edited by internationalism

50 minutes ago, internationalism said:

The very first thai a380 was damaged by unskilled pilot while parking at hangar at BKK. 
it was not serious, but shows level of organisation

I didn't know that but planes do sometimes hit things while taxiing. That's why you should keep your seatbelt on until the plane reaches the gate. It might not be going that fast but you could still be thrown around. I often hear belts being undone just after the initial braking  on landing.

2 hours ago, ChC1 said:

That being said, provincial airports can be served as a diversion airport. For example, if Bangkok suffered devastating accidents that both runways had to cease operation for a day or longer, inbound aircrafts can divert to nearby provincial airports instead of returning to origin countries (which can be 6 hours flying away in case of UAE). It rarely happens, but when emergency occurs, it helps. One of the best example I can think of is during 9-11, when USA shut its door for inbound traffic, all those aircrafts were due to land in USA was forced to land in some remote airports in Canada. Some of the Canadian airports have little commercial traffic but it kindly opened to all those aircrafts from Europe and USA. Before that day, how many passengers would fly to Gander Airport? I mean, how many of you posters here even heard of this airport? 

I was once flying into Logan airport Boston , with the undercarriage down when the pilot took off again and told us there was too much ice on the runway , we were diverted to the JFK New York , pretty scary

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Ah, yes. Buriram. The new centre for all things corrupt. 

A passing phase.

Actually it was getting 2 Air Asia and 3 Nok before the pandemic. It was also getting a lot of exec jet traffic for the Chang circuit. I've seen several of these parked up there when using the airport. The circuit was also used by Kawasaki and Yamaha for off season testing of their bikes. Many regional m/c and car tournament races were also held there. The circuit was also a favourite corporate days by Thai companies.

The 2022 Moto GP is scheduled for 30Sept - 2 Oct. The 2019 race attracted 226,000 people over the 3 days.

One must also mentioned Buriram United FC and their regular appearance in the AFC Asia Cup, the Asian equivalent of the European Champions League. The top professional Esports team in Thailand is also based at the Chang Arena. The stadium has also been used by the Thai national team football team for non competitive matches.

I should mention that the Bhumjaithai Party is based in Buriram but thats something I'd rather not discuss.

Two main changes were to occur at the airport. A new and much larger terminal plus lengthening the runaway to accommodate freighters for the races at The Chang Circuit.

I do hear Sukothai is a very nice town and hopefully I'll get to visit it one day as its in a part of Thailand we haven't visited.

Edited by tso310
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, internationalism said:

For emergency traffic there is utapao airport, former USA bomber base with 4.5km runway for the worlds heaviest planes. 
it was used in 2008 when yellow shirt mob shutdown both bangkok airports. 
its being developed into civilian one. With new terminal, motorway, rail link to both bangkoks airports

When airlines prepare diversion airports list for pre-flight check list, it is always several airports nearby included. For example, when a flight flies into BKK, the nearby airports that suitable for that aircraft size is considered would normally include HKT, REP, CNX, KUL, SIN etc. (depends on ATC direction and how much fuel the aircraft carry by anticipated distance). Hence it is better to have some provincial airports nearby even UTP or DMP are more convenient. Airports do not have unlimited aircraft parking spaces, and there are ATC control to limit traffic inflow. Both would restrict whether the diversion airport would be willing for flight acceptance.

Also when an aircraft inflight suffer emergency, the captain may not have the luxury to choose which airport to land, plus the provincial airport with limited traffic is ideal first contact so it does not impact trunk traffic air route. For example, the Air Canada flight 143 known as Gimli Glider. You can look up if you have not already knew of this.

After all, the preparation of flight diversion is a complex issue for airline dispatchers, ATC controllers, airport administrators, fire fighters...etc. Provincial airports help in the way that it is quiet, and it is off the trunk air traffic elation and corridors, and you never know when it is needed.