Fugitive former PM Thaksin suggests Thailand needs a "smart leader" - HIM!

webfact

5 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Only because it suited his agenda. He used the masses (poor) as his tool to get rich. 2 Billion USD currently. Thai working the fields, currently 400Baht a day if he's lucky.

He was one of the richest Thais before he went into politics.

Sure he supported the poor and rural to make the north/northeast to his stronghold.

How many politicians here and elsewhere do something altruisticly? The crucial point is the outcoming.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I agree. If's it's a choice between Thaksin and Prayut/Anutin I'd take Thaksin every time.

I would too and I hate Thaksin. Just shows how much disdain I have for Prayuth and the pseudo democratic government (I'm not allowed to call the government that word that begins with a "d", am I?)

• Like 2

On 1/5/2022 at 10:02 AM, Lemonltr said:

He is still loved and remembered for bringing in the free (B30) health care scheme. It lifted up the worrying fear of having to sell up homes and land when (mainly) parents were hospitalised. 

and did he not put a massive increase on a much lower fee to the 800.000Bt in the bank for the retirees over 50?

21 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

And God only knows what the current Gangsters running the country are doing under wraps as virtually nothing here is transparent when it comes to money.  As time passes we will find out how much is being creamed off but that may not be in my lifetime, as a proper Government run by honest people seems to be Decades away !

Honest politicians???????????????????????????????

46 minutes ago, LarrySR said:

Thaksin was worth $3 billion before he entered politics. 

You may well be right. In the days that Thaksin entered politics the exchange rates were somewhat different. Currently they USD is  25% lower to the baht than in 2003-5.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Robin said:

Taksin was the first modern politician Thailand had.  

He offered policies that would benefit the majority, and when elected, put those policies into action.  The old guard could not understand this and had to get rid of him and go back to their feudal ways.

Can anyone tell me the policies of the current government?  ( Except tp stay in power and enrich themselves.)

HIs return to power could be the best thing that could happen to Thailand.

His Wikipedia page explains allot about his modernization of the government. 
The good old boys popped a vessel and ran him off. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

That applies to you from birth. You get told by your parents. You get told by you teachers you basically obey anyone 'superior' to you. It's not just an 'army' thing.

Up to a good extent, It did not apply to me after starting secondary school. I certainly did not automatically obey anyone "superior" to me, simply because they did not exist, don't get me wrong, if I was treated fairly, I was always fair back, I got on very well with the majority of my teachers and bosses, there were exceptions, though very few, but they all knew I would never get pushed around.

Edited by possum1931

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

He may be good for the working class Thais, but would he be good for expats? If like the last time I don't think so.

I'm not sure, but if I remember correctly, most of the tightened rules for foreigners (visa runs etc) were invented later.

There were many companies offering monthly border run packages from BKK and Pattaya to those without visas. No limition of such runs.

When did they reduce it to 2 weeks at land borders and limited quantity? Was it befor 2007?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

I'm not sure, but if I remember correctly, most of the tightened rules for foreigners (visa runs etc) were invented later.

There were many companies offering monthly border run packages from BKK and Pattaya to those without visas. No limition of such runs.

When did they reduce it to 2 weeks at land borders and limited quantity? Was it befor 2007?

I never paid much attention to any governments before the soldiers stole the country, and I have been getting more bitter against them ever since.

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I never paid much attention to any governments before the soldiers stole the country, and I have been getting more bitter against them ever since.

i guess that makes you and Thaksin sharing probably the same feeling ...????

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, LarrySR said:

The problem the "invisible hand" had with Thaksin was.....wait for it.....he kept winning the elections.

Yes, unlike this soldier who is in charge today. At least Thaksin was elected.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

he created new conditions for issuing long term visas, increasing money requirements, increasing fees etc... that was not changed for over 20 years, was going to happen eventually

he also started the LM law non-sense, which wasn't used for over 30 years, and started that trend

as usual, when Thai see really good or really bad ideas, they will copy it, because monkeys see, monkeys do ????

17 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I would get elected if I had bought as many votes as he did!!

That's what the sore losers claimed. You read it in The Nation, right?

Go ask any upcountry Thai why they like Thaksin and they will all say, "JOBS". They don't love him because he gave them lunch money. 

39 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I remember the time well when the buses came to the village to pick up all to go to his rallies. Food included. better than working the fields in those days for 200 Baht a day.

3 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I remember the time well when the buses came to the village to pick up all to go to his rallies. Food included. better than working the fields in those days for 200 Baht a day.

Traditionally, both parties hand out cash but the voters repeatedly chose Thaksin or his sister by a landslide. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

As if the other ones would not have done so. And they still do.

Thais I knew told me, the 2005 elections were the less bought ever. No wonder. He knew he would get a big majority even without paying for it.

Edited by JustAnotherHun
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, LarrySR said:

Traditionally, both parties hand out cash but the voters repeatedly chose Thaksin or his sister by a landslide. 

Dunno if you've ever witnessed Thais going to the polls but most always vote for the one that pays the most irrespective. My MiL is a classic. Never went to school and had no idea what was going on other than she was getting free money. 

Edit: My missus says he and his sister only got landslides cuz they offered the most free money. Hence why Thaksin was richer before he went into politics.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

For all his faults, I think Thailand would be a happier and more prosperous place nowadays if he had been left in charge.

He had a somewhat more balanced approach between letting his cronies rob the country and letting ordinary Thais prosper as well. With the current lot, there's only the former.

12 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

With hindsight and reviewing his criminal record today I'd say 'The Nation' were 100% right. He is a 'criminal' and was convicted so. And his sister Yingluck. Another one that done a runner.

And what would you call the current bunch?

The charges against Thaksin were politically motivated as they were against Yingluck. She tried to get Thaksin an amnesty by legal means.

The current lot granted themselves an amnesty for ALL past, present and future activities as one of their first acts.

8 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Only because it suited his agenda. He used the masses (poor) as his tool to get rich. 2 Billion USD currently. Thai working the fields, currently 400Baht a day if he's lucky.

Please tell us all how much better off the masses are under the current government?

How the many millions of jobless are better off working in the fields for 400 baht per day, (at least those who are lucky enough to have jobs).

9 minutes ago, billd766 said:

And what would you call the current bunch?

The charges against Thaksin were politically motivated as they were against Yingluck. She tried to get Thaksin an amnesty by legal means.

The current lot granted themselves an amnesty for ALL past, present and future activities as one of their first acts.

Please tell us all how much better off the masses are under the current government?

How the many millions of jobless are better off working in the fields for 400 baht per day, (at least those who are lucky enough to have jobs).

I would tend to disagree somewhat, the charges against Thaksin were valid and not politically motivated, however - certainly pursuing the charges could be deemed political, guess the same could be said about Yingluck.

As for the current bunch of monkeys - nothing really needs to be said as their actions speak for themselves. For the millions "workers" they might be marginally better off (debatable)- that's if they have or want a job.