Teenage foreign tourist and her Thai instructor seriously injured after crashing paramotor-style device into power lines on Koh Larn

webfact

01B4A5A3-4C2D-49F5-B919-CFFE4A782AFC-696x522.jpg

PHOTO: 77kaoded

By Goong Nang(GN)

Koh Larn – A Thai man and a young female foreign tourist flying a paramotor-style device have sustained serious injuries from electric shock after becoming stuck on a power pole on Koh Larn (January 3rd).

The Pattaya Tourist Police was notified of the incident at 4:00 P.M. on Koh Larn and rushed to the area, some with speed boats. Police contacted the electricity authority on Koh Larn to shut off power to the area and emergency responders were summoned for assistance.

They arrived at the scene to find the paramotor device entangled on a power pole and nearby business rooftop with many concerned witnesses gathered nearby. 

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/01/03/teenage-foreign-tourist-and-her-thai-instructor-seriously-injured-after-crashing-paramotor-style-device-into-power-lines-on-koh-larn/

PattayaNews.jpg

41 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You have to wonder in respect of these dangerous sports that are sold to tourists here with questionable experience and safety levels. 

I did (motor) and do (paragliding) since more than 20 years.

It's not dangerous, even less than normal paragliding. First lesson you learn is to stay away from power pole.

I guess the "instructor" was self entitled.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

Hope her travel insurance covers such activities otherwise she up for a big mullha in hospital fees...

I very much doubt it does. I know mine doesn't.

One of the points under what is not covered is "Injuries as a result of air sports, e.g. microplanes, hang / paragliding, skydiving."

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

Hope her travel insurance covers such activities otherwise she up for a big mullha in hospital fees...

If it does, my accident cover does, it will be for fully certified operations and not cowboy outfits ...

Let's see what happens ...

Unfortunately follow up isn't the Thai reporting strength ...

12 hours ago, smedly said:

jesus Christ, I don't know who is worse - the foreigner or the Thai so called instructor for this stupidity, I'd be will to bet the Thai has no qualifications for piloting  such an aircraft, I hope she survives and fully recovers and has learned her first serious life lesson 

Assuming a lot here. First serious life lesson? I hope both recover fully. 

I do not know if the instructor was qualified, or if so, qualified to what standard. I will not presume, in this case. 

Hang gliding and paragliding has moved on a lot since I partook in what was known in my day as parascending. There were 4 grades of parascending qualifications under the old British Parascending Association, but it did not stop unexpected incidents from happening. There is no substitute for stupidity, and none for force of nature. We had risk mitigation, think thin, arms up, hands over face, etc, when meeting anything other than the ground.

Perhaps the instructor did mess up, maybe he didn't, but both survived, which is a good start.

• Like 1

I guess that's one way to 'get a buzz' 

I learnt some years back never , never touch steel handrails, never stand on the road and always with a bl..dy big car between you and oncoming traffic, assume everything is live - not earthed properly, never walk on those precarious cliff edge/top air-walkways, never hire/ride a jet-ski in LOS, a powerboat or other fast craft, stay clear of tuk tuks (especially in BKK), never get on one of the super high powered river boats either. Don't drive long distance anywhere in LOS - catch a plane or train, never get in a mini-bus or an intercity coach/bus. 

Apparently they were paragliding it wasn't motorised.

Hopefully the instructor has adequate insurance coverage or at least will be in a position to provide the girls insurance company with the necessary paperwork they will want to see, (that's assuming she has insurance that covers her).

However I've a funny feeling that mum and dad are going to be 'hit' for a few Baht in the very near future.

7 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

I guess that's one way to 'get a buzz' 

I learnt some years back never , never touch steel handrails, never stand on the road and always with a bl..dy big car between you and oncoming traffic, assume everything is live - not earthed properly, never walk on those precarious cliff edge/top air-walkways, never hire/ride a jet-ski in LOS, a powerboat or other fast craft, stay clear of tuk tuks (especially in BKK), never get on one of the super high powered river boats either. Don't drive long distance anywhere in LOS - catch a plane or train, never get in a mini-bus or an intercity coach/bus. 

If I had been of that opinion I'd never have lived in LOS.

Plenty of ways to die in any country.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2022 at 4:20 PM, JustAnotherHun said:

I did (motor) and do (paragliding) since more than 20 years.

It's not dangerous, even less than normal paragliding. First lesson you learn is to stay away from power pole.

I guess the "instructor" was self entitled.

How do you come to the conclusion that its "not dangerous" ?

• Like 1