ICE vs EV, the debate thread

KhunLA

40 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Here is a likable Yellowtail in my bedroom.

Temp.jpg

That's a nice tabby, not a yellowtail. 

This is a yellowtail:

Yellow.jpg.7725e9be4b1ef2d1bd09c33edabb3f41.jpg

Edited by Yellowtail

1 minute ago, connda said:

The Anti-China expats will be pissing themselves now.

Thai subsidies for Chinese EV makers wreak havoc on auto sector
https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Automobiles/Electric-vehicles/Thai-subsidies-for-Chinese-EV-makers-wreak-havoc-on-auto-sector

That has already been debunked on another thread.

Nikkei Asia withdrew the statistics they quoted.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

That has already been debunked on another thread.

Nikkei Asia withdrew the statistics they quoted.

Source or it's BS.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/29/2024 at 8:39 AM, Gweiloman said:

Thanks for the info.  Today I was able to confirm a mid August  appointment with my nearby BYD dealership here in Bangkok to have Rat Guard installed on my Atto...no charge.    It's a 1pm appointment and I expect they will tell me to come back around 3:00 to 4:30pm since they close at 5pm and the mimumun appointment window covers a 2 hour time frame even for a simple task that might only take 15 minutes. 

Now I haven't seen a rat/mouse aroiund my house here in Bangkok for around 5 years"....ever since several stray cats decided to visit our home daily several times a day since the wife puts some food out for them.  Now before the cats started standing guard around my house I would see a rat/mouse running around the yard every week or two....and at one time for a few months some rats got into the house attic and you could hear them running around at night, but some glue traps got rid of them (caught 3 big ones over a few weeks)...no more noises from attic. 

But since the Rat Guard installation is free....why not have it installed.  I'm fairly sure this explains/confirms some maintenance I saw at my BYD dealership several weeks ago when I looked in their maintenance bay briefly and saw a technician with a respirator mask on and spraying stuff from a paint gun under the car.  The car was up on the lift and he was spraying a pretty clear mist back around the rear axle area and battery.   I only watched him do this for about 5 seconds as I walked by the maintenance bay and could easily see it.  I expect he could have very well be spraying the Rat Guard stuff....at that time I didn't even realized the Rat Guard service was available/even existed. 

Yea, big thanks for the Rat Guard for Atto and Dolphin crossfeed.

Edited by Pib
  • Love It 1

4 minutes ago, Pib said:

Thanks for the info.  Today I was able to confirm a mid August  appointment with my nearby BYD dealership here in Bangkok to have Rat Guard installed on my Atto...no charge.    It's a 1pm appointment and I expect they will tell me to come back around 3:00 to 4:30pm since they close at 5pm and the mimumun appointment window covers a 2 hour time frame even for a simple task that might only take 15 minutes. 

Now I haven't seen a rat/mouse aroiund my house here in Bangkok for around 5 years"....ever since several stray cats decided to visit our home daily several times a day since the wife puts some food out for them.  Now before the cats started standing guard around my house I would see a rat/mouse running around the yard every week or two....and at one time for a few months some rats got into the house attic and you could hear them running around at night, but some glue traps got rid of them (caught 3 big ones over a few weeks)...no more noises from attic. 

But since the Rat Guard installation is free....why not have it installed.  I'm fairly sure this explains/confirms some maintenance I saw at my BYD dealership several weeks ago when I looked in their maintenance bay briefly and saw a technician with a respirator mask on and spraying stuff from a paint gun under the car.  The car was up on the lift and he was spraying a pretty clear mist back around the rear axle area and battery.   I only watched him do this for about 5 seconds as I walked by the maintenance bay and could easily see it.  I expect he could have very well be spraying the Rat Guard stuff....at that time I didn't even realized the Rat Guard service was available/even existed. 

Yea, big thanks for the Rat Guard for Atto and Dolphin crossfeed.

Is it available for the Seal?

• Thanks 1

Just now, JBChiangRai said:

Is it available for the Seal?

The video says it's for the Atto and Dolphin...probably due to those models having a traction battery "top" cover that is fiber materials....but bottom cover is metal.

I think the Seal battery has a metal cover for top and bottom...critters can't chew thru. 

Now of course all cars, ICEV and EV, have wires running everwhere but I think the BYD Rat Guard is focused on protecting the fiber cover that critters have chewed on for some Atto and Dolphin owners.

On 5/16/2024 at 12:52 PM, josephbloggs said:

"Aside from Tesla, only Mercedes and BMW have EV production forecasts that align with the IEA’s updated 1.5°C scenario which requires 66% of all new car sales to be EVs by 2030.".

Volvo will be 50% fully electric by end of 2025 and 100% electric by 2030.  I am sure there are others too - pretty sure Audi have a similar target.

Peasants like myself don't buy any of those cars. I'm sure anyone that can afford to buy one will not be worrying about second hand cars needing a new battery.

• Like 1

Mercedes-Benz slows battery plans amid lower EV demand

But with EV demand lower than many automakers had forecast, Mercedes-Benz said earlier this year it did not expect sales of electrified vehicles, including hybrids, to reach up to 50% of the total until 2030 - five years later than its previous forecast of 2025.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/mercedes-benz-opens-battery-research-production-centre-stuttgart-headquarters-2024-07-08/

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Pib said:

Atto and Dolphin

Are they really calling cars with names like that? :cheesy:.

Doesn't exactly have the charisma of Charger, Challenger, Mustang, Spyder etc, does it?

When did the human race become so pussified? Meow.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Doesn't exactly have the charisma of Charger, Challenger, Mustang, Spyder etc, does it?

Yeah, used to be Stingrays, Marlin, Barracuda and whatnot

58 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh, the American muscle car names and days...a time gone by but the names are still copyrighted preventing their use by other car manufactuers. 

BYD seems to like names that imply "quickness...sleekness' along with liking aquatic type critters that bring forth an image of being sleek & fast under water like a Dolphin or Seal.  And for the Atto see below.

image.png.f5c34e18e183aad7a640c8c723084d3e.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

I can now confirm it's "not" for the Seal. 

Just a few minutes ago another BYD dealership near me called me regarding making an appointment for Rat Guard installation on my Atto....I had messaged them on LINE yesterday.   He was calling to offer me an appointment for Rat Guard installtion.     I told him I had just a few hours earlier made an appointment at another BYD dealership.  I thanked him for calling as he was ready to provide an appointment date...it was going to be one day later than the appointment I made at the other dealership.

I then asked him a few questions about Rat Guard.  It's a free installation for the Dolphin & Atto only to predominately add protection for the upper "fiber" cover of the traction battery....basically sparying on that chemical and adding some alumimum corner protectors on the fiber cover.  The rep said Rat Guard does not apply to the Seal since the Seal has an aluminum upper cover vs fiber cover like the Atto/Dolphin.

When you say fiber there are other brands that have fiber covers and they aren't eaten by rats

all the facebook groups refer to the atto3 and Dolphin as having plastic covers and that Byd is the only brand that has decided to use plastic

cover in this video looks like plastic to me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Oh, the American muscle car names and days...a time gone by but the names are still copyrighted preventing their use by other car manufactuers. 

BYD seems to like names that imply "quickness...sleekness' along with liking aquatic type critters that bring forth an image of being sleek & fast under water like a Dolphin or Seal.  And for the Atto see below.

image.png.f5c34e18e183aad7a640c8c723084d3e.png

Fair enough, but how many normal people know what an Atto is.

I miss the days of American muscle cars. I didn't drive one myself, but at least cars looked different back then. In these days of computer designed cars the only difference is the badge and the number of led lights they can cram onto the car.

Drive up in a E Type Jag and every boy in the area would be crowded around to look at it. Drive up in a "Dolphin" and be completely ignored by everyone, yawn.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

When you say fiber there are other brands that have fiber covers and they aren't eaten by rats

all the facebook groups refer to the atto3 and Dolphin as having plastic covers and that Byd is the only brand that has decided to use plastic

cover in this video looks like plastic to me

Fiber, plastic, polymer,  PVC, HDPE, etc....what the cover's exact composition is I can't say....it's some type of material that is not metal.   Rats/mice will pretty much chew on anything that is not metal.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Pib said:

Fiber, plastic, polymer,  PVC, HDPE, etc....what the cover's exact composition is I can't say....it's some type of material that is not metal.   Rats/mice will pretty much chew on anything that is not metal.  

Here is a site that has pictures of the battery covers 

Majority of brands use steel with the exception of byd using plastic and Ora good cat using carbon fiber which I understand is expensive

https://droidsans.com/ev-car-battery-cap-issue/

https://www.tchaintech.com/TH/NDETAIL/the_differences_between_carbon_fiber_and_steel

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Pib said:

This lady nicknamed Cherry has an Atto she bought 7 May 2023 and now has over 40,000Km on it.  She did a video on 14 July 2024 regarding the 40,000Km checkup.    She done other Atto videos like her 5,000Km checkup on 13 May 2023 and 20,000Km checkup on 25 Oct 2024.   She also did "a really good and detailed video" on the home wallcharger installation/costs dated 24 Mar 2023.

Anyway, here is her video on Rat Guard installation she had done on her Atto on 23 June 2024 where you can see what is done during the first 2 minutes of the 4 minute video.  The last half of the video is just her waiting around in the dealership lounge snacking on food and giving out information in Thai.  Her video's are in Thai but usually provides a lot of "pictures" which greatly helps to explain....you know the ol' saying, "a picture can be worth a 1000 words."

Does she take her top off? She has a kind mouth...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1