ICE vs EV, the debate thread

KhunLA

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

If car makers wake up we'll be driving hydrogen powered, whether directly in an ICE or by fuel cells in an EV.

IMO battery cars are as dead as Beta VCRs.

I have read similar stuff, after all, in a short time, Lithium is becoming difficult to acquire, so now moving on to another fix, to me, it doesn't bode well for a long term future, but, I have yet to read about "salt" and batteries, we gotta lot of salt......☺️

5 minutes ago, transam said:

Then explain yourself more clearly.................????

I used the word in it’s dictionary definition, not as an insult. Perfectly clear, you can always ask me for clarification if you don’t understand, rather than jump to conclusions.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, transam said:

I have read similar stuff, after all, in a short time, Lithium is becoming difficult to acquire, so now moving on to another fix, to me, it doesn't bode well for a long term future, but, I have yet to read about "salt" and batteries, we gotta lot of salt......☺️

image.png.33b7c767a04564ff6134e527e86235be.png

You're a funny guy

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I used the word in it’s dictionary definition, not as an insult. Perfectly clear, you can always ask me for clarification if you don’t understand, rather than jump to conclusions.

Blimey, how have you got the front to accuse of "jumping to conclusions", when you are the worst offender in that department regarding the subject matter here........????

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

25 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Other than arson, is there any kind of vehicle fire other than spontaneous?

Do your own googling, or read the other thread here. I am not going to do it for you.  It’s all out there.

With a petrol car fire, there is usually a warning, the smell of leaking fuel for one. I have had 2 of those, thankfully with no fire.

As far as I am aware, an EV battery going bad and doing its fire thing, there is no warning.

Whilst you're nicely tucked up in bed, your ride in the garage is having a bad battery day, and the fire brigade are scratching their heads dealing with it......:whistling:

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

This thread is about ICE vs. EV

I think we have all owned ICE vehicles

If you haven’t owned or driven an EV then you should, then you can contribute from knowledge instead of ignorance, mostly prejudicial ignorance, from what I read.

Google is full of real EV scenarios and information, but YOU, dismiss stuff put forward and now tell us to be quiet because we haven't an EV, YET......

Unbelievable......................:ermm:

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

14 minutes ago, transam said:

The countries that have it are not funny, Mr. MG............????

You should do some more reading, expand you mind:

Chile holds the world's largest lithium reserves and is the world's second-largest producer. Lithium is currently produced from hard rock or brine mines. Australia is the world's biggest supplier, with production from hard rock mines. Argentina, Chile and China mainly produce it from salt lakes.Apr 21, 2023"

1 minute ago, transam said:

With a petrol car fire, there is usually a warning, the smell of leaking fuel for one. I have had 2 of those, thankfully with no fire.

As far as I am aware, an EV battery going bad and doing its fire thing, there is no warning.

Whilst you're nicely tucked up in bed, your ride in the garage is having a bad battery day, and the fire brigade are scratching their heads dealing with it......:whistling:

Yes it could happen. It keeps me awake at night. I need to see a shrink about it.  

There is another advantage in running an EV if you have an integral garage at your house. When you arrive at the house and close the garage door, there is very little heat given off the car, whereas if you’re driving an ICE car, then the heat will go up into your house and rooms above the garage. 

• Haha 2

Just now, KhunLA said:

You should do some more reading, expand you mind:

Chile holds the world's largest lithium reserves and is the world's second-largest producer. Lithium is currently produced from hard rock or brine mines. Australia is the world's biggest supplier, with production from hard rock mines. Argentina, Chile and China mainly produce it from salt lakes.Apr 21, 2023"

Great, then the future shortage I read about is all false then...

Thanks for the update..????

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Google is full of real EV scenarios and information, but YOU, dismiss stuff put forward and now tell us to be quiet because we haven't an EV, YET......

Unbelievable......................:ermm:

Google? Yes right……

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Great, then the future shortage I read about is all false then...

Thanks for the update..????

That correct, so we'll expect you stop repeating such nonsense ????

image.png.bcbec28362626b6f81d43de76c416689.png

Just now, JBChiangRai said:

Google? Yes right……

Yes, you are one who dismissed a very interesting video on EV repairs because YOU thought it would be anti-EV...........

But, the blind never see.....And you for one will not come on here to tell us if your ride has a problem, guaranteed..............????

• Love It 2

1 minute ago, transam said:

And you for one will not come on here to tell us if your ride has a problem, guaranteed..............????

I already did. My other new EV had to be collected and taken to BKK twice to repair failed air-con.

i think I said our two MG EV’s were the first new cars we have ever had without a defect to be fixed under warranty.

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

Nonsense

I'll bet, like the other video, you did not watch more than a single minute or two of the video.

The video evidence of the ferocity of an EV battery fire with several vehicles is on display. The chemistry which is the foundation of such intense conflagrations is explained in quite clear terms a layman can understand.

ICE's do not generate fires that cannot be extinguished. They also don't generate hydrogen cyanide and hydrogen fluoride from a fuel tank fire. EV's do.

EV fires have their own fuel AND oxygen, hence the only viable strategy for firefighters is to let them burn themselves out. That doesn't work too well in an enclosed environment such as a ship, or underground car park.

Goethe once said against stupidity the gods themselves strive in vain. It's a statement which proves itself on a daily basis on ASEAN.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Yes it could happen. It keeps me awake at night. I need to see a shrink about it.  

There is another advantage in running an EV if you have an integral garage at your house. When you arrive at the house and close the garage door, there is very little heat given off the car, whereas if you’re driving an ICE car, then the heat will go up into your house and rooms above the garage. 

That's great if you live in Canada.

On 7/30/2023 at 6:12 PM, KhunLA said:

Depends on the EV and their IP rating.  I personally won't be driving through any floor board high water, or over low side of rubber tire, no matter who says it's OK to.

MG ZS 2022 now has an IP69K rating, (the highest rating) up from previous 67.  Really can't get too much higher, unless straight waterproof/submerged for so long ????

image.png.2b1b234ababc28d9eb6fb54bbccc9dc7.png

image.png.55244c55fed2f68daf73e9dfa08aeff7.png

ICE's don't have an IP rating. They don't need them.

Who ever heard of an ICE catching fire after driving through water?

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Goethe once said against stupidity the gods themselves strive in vain. It's a statement which proves itself on a daily basis on ASEAN.

Goethe also said “Nothing is more terrible than to see ignorance in action” Try an EV to remove that ignorance.

• Sad 1

On 7/28/2023 at 5:16 PM, KhunLA said:

The major players producing batteries are putting out mostly LFP batteries already.  May even have a solid state battery in mass production the next 5 yrs.

Er - LFP is an anagram for Lithium Ferro Phosphate, so there is still lithium in the mix.

18 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I already did. My other new EV had to be collected and taken to BKK twice to repair failed air-con.

i think I said our two MG EV’s were the first new cars we have ever had without a defect to be fixed under warranty.

No, expensive repairs, dead battery, drive motor stuffed, etc.....

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Er - LFP is an anagram for Lithium Ferro Phosphate, so there is still lithium in the mix.

True but partial information.  It’s also much more stable than other Lithium battery types like Lithium Ion or NMC (Nickel Manganese Cobalt) to the layman if you don’t understand chemistry.

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Goethe also said “Nothing is more terrible than to see ignorance in action” Try an EV to remove that ignorance.

I can't say I have driven one, just an electric scooter. Which was fun.

Ignorance is when a poster refuses to accept basic science and clear visual evidence of how that science works. Shooting the messenger is so much easier.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

No, expensive repairs, dead battery, drive motor stuffed, etc.....

I will be sure to tell you.

Had my car not been under warranty, my two repairs would’ve been expensive, over ฿100,000 alone in transport costs.

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

True but partial information.  It’s also much more stable than other Lithium battery types like Lithium Ion or NMC (Nickel Manganese Cobalt) to the layman if you don’t understand chemistry.

I can still say s-diphenylcarbazide and N-1 naphthylethylenediaminedihydrochloride without stammering, so i guess my understanding of chemistry is still working.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I can still say s-diphenylcarbazide and N-1 naphthylethylenediaminedihydrochloride without stammering, so i guess my understanding of chemistry is still working.

I think you also hold a patent in the chemical field, if I am not mistaking you for someone else