Norwegian man files complaint to Sattahip police against his Cambodian “girlfriend” after being allegedly ripped off for nearly 200,000-baht for false marriage promises

webfact

Let’s look at it with a different objective. If you were to spend 200k for sexual purposes (sex, online sex, etc) over two years it works out 8300 per month or around 2000 per week. Obviously not equally divided as sex was limited to his physical presence there. Now he needs to figure out whether the average 2k per week was worth it. Surely he’s not entitled to full refund!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

referred to only as Kyrie,

Interesting! I think his Cambodian girlfriend should be named "Val Kyrie"

"In Norse mythology, a valkyrie is one of a host of female figures who choose those who may die in battle and those who may live" (Wikipedia).

Even 200,000 baht is some money - for a Cambodian girl in Thailand it might be a nice handy sum - then it's likely small money for a Norwegian where the average fortune is $153,522 (2021), especially when it has voluntary been paid in minor lots with 1,000 baht per time over a period of about two years; it's around $31 twice a week.

So it equals 200 video sessions of 1,000 baht each...:whistling:

From the article...

...So, both of them had to begin a long-distance relationship via video calls for nearly two years.

During that time, Sreem-mom would reportedly tell him to transfer money to help her, a total of about 1,000 baht for each time they called...

He likely won't get his money back; so rather take it as a man, learn from the experience, count the loss and move on...:thumbsup:

By the way, my first kind of Thai relationship was with a gold digger-girl, so I know the feeling, but I was prepared for the risk - a calculated risk given in mainly small lots, plus a few bigger ones for help with problems, even the family didn't have a buffalo - so I just moved on in search for something better. And "my" gold digger got more than 200.000 baht. But even we had a long distance relationship with rather expensive phone calls - it was before Skype became available - we also had little more physical contact than just one meeting; however, in the always unbearable crystal bright light of hindsight, relative expensive contact...????

Unless I've misread the post, am I right in thinking that 'he' a Norwegian national who I guess speaks Norwegian gives his Cambodian girlfriend a Sh!€ load of money to sort out some paperwork at 'he's ' embassy?

Sorry mate you got what you deserve all I can say is she must have been some mega S#@g.

9 hours ago, banglay said:

The old saying   " A fool and his money"  comes to mind .   he's just learnt an expensive lesson he's lucky it was only 200K

Yeah got off very cheaply for the bruises to his ego, heart, and bank account 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, itsari said:

I think you as a Norwegian has more appropriate reasons to be ashamed about .

Making an agreement with somebody concerning money is not stupid . It needs Thai people  to understand that foreigners are not open fodder for stealing from.

He willingly gave the money to her, she didn't steal the money 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, itsari said:

She is stealing the money if the girl has not used the money as agreed between the two of them .

No, the word stealing means "take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it."

She didn't steal the money , he gave it to her

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

If he give her the money then she does a runner.Who,s fault is that it is not a thai issue.It is a cambodian issue and should be followed up there.

? First of all, there is no case, he is just narrow minded and cant take a no for a no when a better option happend to show up for his long distance gf. It happens, get over it and move on. 

51 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No, the word stealing means "take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it."

She didn't steal the money , he gave it to her

For her sake i hope what you say is correct . The wording of the article does say the money was sent for the purpose of marriage .

If I give you 200 k for an agreed reason and you just keep the money and forget the agreement then you have stolen the money .

Have a good evening Mac

The moral of the story is to not waste time with a woman who cannot look after herself financially.

That's a liability, not an asset. If she is that useless, then be clear in your head that you are paying to keep her. Once the money stops, the 'relationship' often stops. Why live with the uncertainty? Get rid! Find a woman who actually likes you for your unique qualities, rather than your money. If you want to take a short cut and pay for someone to like you, then don't be surprised by the result.

If you want to give to charity, then give to charity. Stop paying for women unless you are running a harem. Then at least they are working for their money.

They aren't your daughters to whom you give pocket money. They are living human beings just like you. So why are you paying for everything?

If a woman doesn't offer to pay within the first three dates, she is gone.

It's not about Thai or Cambodian; it's about understanding people's motivations. 

Girls are here because that is where the money and the foreigners are. Your one is not different.

I had one Thai girl, who actually forced herself into a relationship with me. Went to the places she knew I visited. Told everyone how she felt about me; so then they started on me. So gave her a chance; but didn't give her any money. She had to get a job if she wanted to be with me. 

If you have low self esteem, the vultures will circle. Meanwhile she is paying for the hot guy who is out of her league.

I can honestly state that there isn't a single Thai girl whom I have ever met, who hasn't tried it on with me, after they got married. Then there are the girls who pretend they don't know you at all when their boyfriend arrives. ????

Come on guys. You should be more scared of the girls than COVID-19. The girls really are out to get you ????