Boosters Could Weaken Immune System

ArcticFox

Submitted without comment.  The article can be found on Bloomberg via Internet search.

EU Warns Repeat Boosters Could Weaken Immune System

"European Union regulators warned that frequent Covid-19 booster shots could adversely affect the immune system and may not be feasible.

Boosters “can be done once, or maybe twice, but it’s not something that we can think should be repeated constantly,” Marco Cavaleri, the EMA head of biological health threats and vaccines strategy, said at a press briefing on Tuesday. “We need to think about how we can transition from the current pandemic setting to a more endemic setting.”"

Complete article on:
Bloomberg, By Irina Anghel, January 12, 2022

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-11/repeat-booster-shots-risk-overloading-immune-system-ema-says

Edited by onthedarkside
weblink to source article added
  • Like 2

Although @partingtonis right and the OP contains a misleading headline and summary of what was said by Marco Cavaleri, there are a number of scientists voicing caution about the prospect of repeated boosters (especially using vaccines designed for the original strain).

As stated in the MedPage Today article below, various scientists:

agreed that additional vaccine doses may begin to provide diminishing returns, and may not be an effective public health strategy moving forward.

What's the benefit of a 4th Covid vaccine?

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

38 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Although @partingtonis right and the OP contains a misleading headline and summary of what was said by Marco Cavaleri, there are a number of scientists voicing caution about the prospect of repeated boosters (especially using vaccines designed for the original strain).

As stated in the MedPage Today article below, various scientists:

What's the benefit of a 4th Covid vaccine?

The article states that there is no evidence of harm from a fourth dose and supports the use of a fourth does among the vulnerable. It also states that more data is required before a determination can be made about whether a fourth dose might be beneficial. There is no hint that scientists are advising caution regarding the safety of a fourth shot. It specifically discounts the prospect of harm to the immune system.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

The article states that there is no evidence of harm from a fourth dose and supports the use of a fourth does among the vulnerable. It also states that more data is required before a determination can be made about whether a fourth dose might be beneficial. There is no hint that scientists are advising caution regarding the safety of a fourth shot. It specifically discounts the prospect of harm to the immune system.

You seem to have misconstued the point I was making. My post had nothing to do with there being any potential harm from a 4th shot (there is no potential harm and I didn't imply that there was).

I was simply pointing out that some scientists are questioning the potential benefits of a fourth shot and suggesting it might be subject to the law of diminishing returns.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I’ve read all sorts of ridiculous stories about the vaccines causing strange side effects too, but I bet if posted links to those stories, you’d (rightfully) call it fake news. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ryan754326 said:

If we’re even having to discuss a fourth shot, then why would anyone think it will stop with four? 
It looks to me like the plan is to have as much of the world’s population as possible getting jabbed every few months, until the end of time. It would be nice if the pharma corps would just come out and say as much, but I guess it’s easier to get people on board if you can convince them it will just take “one more”. 

I got my two jabs, and still got infected (miraculously recovered after a few days of sniffles). I’m done now. 

It was a miracle, was it? Do you ever consider for a moment that being vaccinated might have had something to do with the mildness of your case? Are you aware the currently in America you're 14 times more likely to die from covid if you haven't been vaccinated and a lot less likely to get seriously ill?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, I did consider that, and maybe that’s what saved me, but I’m in my 30’s, in good health, and I know plenty of unvaccinated people, much older and fatter than me, who brushed off covid just as easily as I did, so maybe it’s also possible that I just had a mild case like the majority of people who get covid. 

I’m not against vaccinations by any means, but I am against the idea that the only solution to this problem is endless booster shots for everyone, when the science apparently says that people like me (vaccinated + recovered from covid) should be “super immune” by now. 

But there was no "maybe" in your prior comment. You said you "miraculously recovered".

20 minutes ago, placeholder said:

But there was no "maybe" in your prior comment. You said you "miraculously recovered".

Yes, I said that, tongue in cheek, because at the time I got infected, none of my family and friends had known anyone at all who had been infected yet, and some of them were genuinely concerned that I might die, even though the statistics were very clearly indicating that I almost certainly would not. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ryan754326 said:

Yes, I said that, tongue in cheek, because at the time I got infected, none of my family and friends had known anyone at all who had been infected yet, and some of them were genuinely concerned that I might die, even though the statistics were very clearly indicating that I almost certainly would not. 

Please, the point of your comment

"I got my two jabs, and still got infected (miraculously recovered after a few days of sniffles). I’m done now. "

was clearly that despite the fact you got vaccinated, you came down with covid. 

22 hours ago, partington said:

repeated boosters at too short at an interval may cause the immune response -to that booster- to be less than we would like, because of overloading the immune system with that single vaccine.  This simply means that if you keep injecting the same antigen too frequently the response to that antigen won't be as great.  He would prefer one or two boosters once a year if the epidemiological conditions require it.

This....  

But I doubt the anti-vaxxers will want to read that far into this...  The headline is simply too inviting for them.

6 hours ago, Ryan754326 said:

I’ve read all sorts of ridiculous stories about the vaccines causing strange side effects too, but I bet if posted links to those stories, you’d (rightfully) call it fake news. 

the news site I got that from is a Murdoch site so it deserves the same treatment. ????

4 hours ago, placeholder said:

Please, the point of your comment

"I got my two jabs, and still got infected (miraculously recovered after a few days of sniffles). I’m done now. "

was clearly that despite the fact you got vaccinated, you came down with covid. 

The point of my comment was that I’ve had the jabs, I’ve had the disease, I survived, and I don’t see why I should get any more jabs. Weren’t we discussing the apparently diminishing returns on repeated jabs spaced too closely together? 
The last bit was just me poking some fun at those who still believe that a healthy 35 year old will inevitably die if they contract covid. The data obviously suggests otherwise (vaccinated or not), but I’d never suggest that it can’t happen. 

If I delete that part of my comment, will you acknowledge the point I was actually trying to make, and explain why I would be wise to have a third or fourth jab down the road?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Recovered after being vaccinated......   .... Miraculous ???.... erm... ????

I acknowledge that having been vaccinated may have lightened my symptoms and accelerated my recovery, although I’m fairly confident that I, personally, would have survived either way. The point I’m trying to make is that I don’t see why I would need any more jabs at this point, when the ones I’ve already had, along with natural immunity, appear to have done the job. 

What I don’t agree with is the the prospect of mandatory jabs every few months in order for someone to be part of society. If big pharma had their way, the whole world would be eating a Tylenol every three hours to prevent us all from ever getting a headache. 

• Like 1

I acknowledge that having been vaccinated may have lightened my symptoms and accelerated my recovery, although I’m fairly confident that I, personally, would have survived either way. The point I’m trying to make is that I don’t see why I would need any more jabs at this point, when the ones I’ve already had, along with natural immunity, appear to have done the job. 

What I don’t agree with is the the prospect of mandatory jabs every few months in order for someone to be part of society. If big pharma had their way, the whole world would be eating a Tylenol every three hours to prevent us all from ever getting a headache. 

Can you provide a link where anyone suggested mandatory jabs every three months. FUD much??

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ryan754326 said:

Yes, I did consider that, and maybe that’s what saved me, but I’m in my 30’s, in good health, and I know plenty of unvaccinated people, much older and fatter than me, who brushed off covid just as easily as I did, so maybe it’s also possible that I just had a mild case like the majority of people who get covid. 

I’m not against vaccinations by any means, but I am against the idea that the only solution to this problem is endless booster shots for everyone, when the science apparently says that people like me (vaccinated + recovered from covid) should be “super immune” by now. 

Endless booster shots for every is a figment of your own imagination.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I think you're missing the pro-vax agenda a little.

If you weren't vaccinated, caught COVID and survived with no worse than a cold, you narrowly escaped death (or didn't have COVID in the first place).

If you were vaccinated, caught COVID and survived with no worse than a cold, the vaccine saved you from death.

The frightened sheep will never accept COVID is relatively harmless for most people.

They will also never accept that the vaccine is ineffective, you just need more boosters.

They will also never accept that the vaccine is ineffective, you just need more boosters.”

Of course, not because claims of the vaccines being ineffective are a lie.

The data demonstrates the effectiveness of vaccines, fewer serious illnesses, fewer hospitalizations and few deaths.

On 1/13/2022 at 1:15 AM, partington said:

This headline and the phrase below it are misleading and were never said. This is simply bad reporting from a reporter Irina Angel who clearly didn't completely understand what was being explained .https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-11/repeat-booster-shots-risk-overloading-immune-system-ema-says

There was no implication of "harm" or "weakening" to the overall immune system by repeated boosters-

what Dr Cavalieri actually said was :

1. repeated boosters at too short at an interval may cause the immune response -to that booster- to be less than we would like, because of overloading the immune system with that single vaccine.  This simply means that if you keep injecting the same antigen too frequently the response to that antigen won't be as great.  He would prefer one or two boosters once a year if the epidemiological conditions require it.  There is no implication at all that the immune system is weakened or suffers harm overall - this is added by the reporter.

2. The "tiring out" by repeated boosters refers to the population getting fed up of too many injections , not suffering tiring physical effects!

I know, because the entire EMA press conference that this scanty inaccurate article is derived from is available on YouTube, and I have listened to all of it.  If you are curious to see how misrepresentation occurs you can view it too:

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/events/ema-regular-press-briefing-covid-19-11

The relevant bit occurs around 29:12.

yes but but the big danger words in bold are bigger!