Our Solar Install

This the start of my topic of our Solar install but I have no idea how far we will get. ????????:whistling:

Our plan is to install a 5kW System with a 10 (or 15kW) ESS.

In total we think we are getting 20 Panels (if 330w). (The amount of panels could change of course if we get higher wattage panels)

We are NOT going to place the Panels on the roof of our House (my wife is absolutely against that), but we want them in a Field in the back of the property!  (My wife, a keen gardener, already has plans for them so that we don't see them ???? )

2 Panels will be facing East (to catch the morning sun)

2 will be facing West (to catch the evening sun)

16 will be facing South

All these panels will be placed on a Support, and each support will be able to have a max of 3 panels mounted and the angle can be changed

So that means a total of 8 supports (at the moment)

All Supports will be mounted on 4 Concrete Columns 5" in diameter (so a total of 32 columns) each column has a length of 2m and they will be placed in the ground approx 50 centimeters deep so the panels will be approx 1,5m placed above ground! (Well above any flooding that can occur there)

Those columns, our preferred supplier has them in stock, so no need ordering them.

I attached what the support looks like in case someone else wishes to make them!

First step is to start this of with is we ordered the steel (all galvanized) for the Support for the Solar Panels.

Yes, we already ordered the steel but it doesn't mean that the supports are going to be build, because my BIL (who builds the supports) is first going to rebuild the roof on his house!!

As said will keep you updated.! (But can take a while)

Ps: In case our Solar Install doesn't take off, my BIL already said that he wants the steel (in case it gets bad) ????:whistling:

Edit: Forgot to add, the steel used is 3" and 1,6mm thick (all galvanized)

panel_support.jpg

support_diagram.jpg

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MJCM said:

Sorry to hear that.

I am also still out of luck,  the companies I have send my quote request to have been so far (excuse my language) a Pain in the ..... (some of them that is)!!

I have (at this moment in time) no idea if my Solar install will be a successful one, but I thought of opening a topic just to keep people updated (if they are interested).

The only money spend at the moment is the order on steel/paint/welding rods etc and that is not wasted as my BIL could use that as well for his projects :whistling:

Well I think if you keep posting your project updates here and you have any questions or problems they'll all be answered. 

I'd say success is guaranteed. ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, carlyai said:

Well I think if you keep posting your project updates here and you have any questions or problems they'll all be answered. 

I'd say success is guaranteed. ????

I bet you end up DIYing much of it, I'm assuming you know which way to turn a screwdriver (or the BIL does).

With knowlegeable guidance (and there's plenty on here) You should do just fine.

• Like 1

I cant see the sense in essentially wasting the half day use of 4 panels having them facing east and west. 

A 15kw battery should cover most use and will easily be recharged during the day with south facing panels. 

This is my usage. The orange spikes are mostly water heaters plus elec stove in the morning. commercial/residential. (I could do with an additional 10kw battery.)

Screenshot_20220114-070751_FusionSolar.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Farma said:

I cant see the sense in essentially wasting the half day use of 4 panels having them facing east and west. 

I can understand that you can't see the sense, but for example in the morning and evening my wife does most of the watering of the garden with at the moment a 1 HP pump and that is soon going to be changed to a 2 HP pump.

And with watering I mean, 4000 Liters of water a day she uses for her garden

So my thought is even those 2 panels (E or W) will NOT account for much but they will do a bit to charge the battery. And cost wise it's not that much of an investment if you compare it to the rest!

And don't forget about those cloudy days, often enough you get some sunlight at the end of the day, so ... :wai:

Edit: Ooh I forgot, we also have a PEA Meter that is NOT spinning Backwards, so totally (HOPING that is) don't want to Import and also not waste anything!!

Edited by MJCM

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

I bet you end up DIYing much of it, I'm assuming you know which way to turn a screwdriver (or the BIL does).

With knowlegeable guidance (and there's plenty on here) You should do just fine.

Thx, but the most important part is still connecting it all up to the FuseBox.

And that is NOT something for DIY if you are @MJCM ????

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Crossy said:

That I agree with you 100%.

But if you get most of it done any reasonably competent Thai sparks (yeah, I know) would be able to hook it up for you.

Absolutely. You know we have a very competent sparky, but his problem is the bottle!

He only finished our house in 2020 because there was a BAN on alcohol Sale so after a while all the shops had run dry, so he came to work always on time and sober. But soon after the Alcohol Ban was lifted he was gone.

But our electrical install passed the test with flying colors, but it took a lot of effort to have the sparky to come to the house and guide the PEA guys!!

This guy could make a lot of money, but unfortunately his love for Lao Khao is stronger!! ????

Other Sparky's we have contacted didn't even know what we meant with an Circuit breaker with RCBO build in, because they only do "Baan Nork" installs!!

Edited by MJCM

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

I can understand that you can't see the sense, but for example in the morning and evening my wife does most of the watering of the garden with at the moment a 1 HP pump and that is soon going to be changed to a 2 HP pump.

And with watering I mean, 4000 Liters of water a day she uses for her garden

So my thought is even those 2 panels (E or W) will NOT account for much but they will do a bit to charge the battery. And cost wise it's not that much of an investment if you compare it to the rest!

And don't forget about those cloudy days, often enough you get some sunlight at the end of the day, so ... :wai:

Edit: Ooh I forgot, we also have a PEA Meter that is NOT spinning Backwards, so totally (HOPING that is) don't want to Import and also not waste anything!!

Your mind is made up so ill leave it at that.

I'm running a 2 x 5kwh huawei system with 36 x 410w panels and 15kw battery. Huawei recommended i increase panels up to each inverter max input of 7.5kw.

The system is adjusted to not export so produces only what we need. Ill look into exporting later on. 

With a constant 5 fridges and 1 deep freeze running plus lighting, tv, water pump and shower heaters etc when required the 15kw battery will last through til the next solar recharge. That includes heavy shop and sign lighting.

If I run the  bedroom 18000 btu aircon as well from dusk through the night it reaches its 15% cut-off around 3 a.m and i start importing.

Edited by Farma

5 minutes ago, Farma said:

Your mind is made up so ill leave it at that.

My mind is absolutely not made up yet.

I understand that the S panels will charge the batteries, but my point is in the afternoon, when the SUN starts to go down and my wife is watering her garden, the Battery will be already draining because of the 2HP pump, and my guess is that even those 2 panels (slated to the West) will help putting some Power in the Battery not much but still.

But I must say at the moment the 10kW battery for now will be more then enough, but my wife already said, when we get Solar, she wants that 24k BTU aircon in the living room then the change from a 1HP garden Pump to a 2HP garden pump so our Usage will definitely increase

I look forward to the rest of this tale anticipating much new info. especially about sparkies. All good stuff.

If anyone's having solar panel supply problems you might like to take a look at this company:

Web: www.bluesunpv.com
Address: Building No.7, 1499 Zhenxing Road, Shushan District, 230031 Hefei, China

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MJCM said:

change from a 1HP garden Pump to a 2HP

3 hours ago, MJCM said:

she wants that 24k BTU aircon in the living

Check you have enough guts in the inverter for these to be running simultaneously.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

I look forward to the rest of this tale anticipating much new info. especially about sparkies. All good stuff.

If anyone's having solar panel supply problems you might like to take a look at this company:

Address: Building No.7, 1499 Zhenxing Road, Shushan District, 230031 Hefei, China

I see they have a factory in Thailand! How are they at dealing with smallish orders from private individuals?

Do they sell direct or via AliExpress / AliBaba?

14 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I see they have a factory in Thailand! How are they at dealing with smallish orders from private individuals?

Do they sell direct or via AliExpress / AliBaba?

Here's the full email they sent me. I hope you can open the pictures. Jerry Wong is willing to deal direct. I didn't know they had a place in Thailand.

profile_mask2.png

Bluesun Jerry

Sat, 1 Jan, 22:22 (13 days ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

Dear Sir

Greetings from Bluesun Jerry,how are you?
Now solar panels price are increased everyday.
It is crazy for market.
But Bluesun already prepared some stocks in advance.

Now the available models as below:

0?ui=2&ik=1c4229ae1b&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1720766237615483150&th=17e163c6ae8e690e&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ9KVc8AOMLIJ4w6tIFDFfCr2GJETaV1zq4hY8jDEiJI-3zI25u4ZH8FwFSi2ASDI8YMI7I9ePlGnmrBFNz9UmSsOQRVDZgbKZb1sTrXMEEBA8D4uG7jaxS-lhA&disp=emb

If you have any needs ,please feel free to contact me, also we can provide you complete solar system.

First Come First Served

Welcome comments!

-------------

Yours sincerely!

Jerry.Wong

Sales Engineer/Marketing Director

Bluesun Solar Co. ,Ltd

0?ui=2&ik=1c4229ae1b&attid=0.2&permmsgid=msg-f:1720766237615483150&th=17e163c6ae8e690e&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ9TfM2fiSzv4LoKFGnMGoApmzYmzqF43xdSno6R_3oOFhug80YikUkGgodPzWjFd3f72PYXhHK4-V5pvH5uqTHbrEW9aujOJle17B_hUSqiMPSPGo3k3_oK0hQ&disp=emb

Mob/what's app: 0086-13721026403
Fax: 0086-551-6520-3660

2 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Here's the full email they sent me. I hope you can open the pictures. Jerry Wong is willing to deal direct. I didn't know they had a place in Thailand.

Sadly the links don't work, maybe try printing to .pdf?

1st Delivery of Steel for the Solar  Supports together with paint etc today

Edit: All Galvanized Steel, I think we need approx 28, but ordered 35 just in case

(And in the background you can see the NYY 25mm2 that we have left over from our House Build!)

STEEL_SOLAR.JPG

Edited by MJCM

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

Check you have enough guts in the inverter for these to be running simultaneously.

Thx, that is added to the list for the Solar Installers!!

Edit: But for my info, what do I have to look for myself, if they send me the specs of the inverter?

Edit2: Is that MAX AC Output power?  Or AC Nominal Power? Or ....?

Here an example of the Inverters! (I was thinking about the SPH5000 or SPH6000 one)

growatt.JPG

Edited by MJCM

1 hour ago, SomchaiDIY said:

For install on spare land pole mount systems look cool and allows easy care and use of ground below

Local steel workshop is making pole mount system for some 12 panel sets for install on open land area

Talking to customer shows this design is copy of the many youtube versions of this idea

The mounting will have elevation season adjust with rotation adjust also

In ground fixing with ready made cement tube fill with conrete and steel bar with protrusion above ground 2 metre

This video shows pole design idea and high dc voltage over long distance

Thx for this.

I will send the installer who said it's very difficult to have the Solar Panels in our Field and the Inverter in our Shed this video. Our distance (from the Panels to the Shed) is approx half of what the guy in the video has done!!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Thx, that is added to the list for the Solar Installers!!

Edit: But for my info, what do I have to look for myself, if they send me the specs of the inverter?

Post here ???? 

But look at the voltage and current range of the MPPT inputs, that is what's going to determine your panel configuration.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SomchaiDIY said:

For install on spare land pole mount systems look cool and allows easy care and use of ground below

This is the intended location for ALL the panels! More then enough room there for 50+ Panels ????

intended_location for Panels.JPG

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Here an example of the Inverters! (I was thinking about the SPH5000 or SPH6000 one)

With arrays pointing in 3 directions you will need 3 MPPT inputs really. Two smaller inverters (so 4 MPPTs available) might be the best solution.

Have you done an energy budget, what you use now and what you will use when you have fully expanded your usage?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

This is the intended location for ALL the panels! More then enough room there for 50+ Panels ????

Plan and mark out for 50+ panels. You don't have to actually build supports yet, but it means that there is space for when (not if) you need more power.

Same in your solar shed, install in the most efficient manner so expansion is easy.

Planning is the key.

Just now, Crossy said:

Have you done an energy budget, what you use now and what you will use when you have fully expanded your usage?

What I am using now, yes I have!!

This is per month from the day we get our Permanent Meter

What we are going to use after. Not yet, But I guess now that it's less then the amount of Solar and ESS have on a day but that is not including those rainy days (We don't go OFF-GRID)

avg_electric_TV.JPG

21 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Plan and mark out for 50+ panels. You don't have to actually build supports yet, but it means that there is space for when (not if) you need more power.

Same in your solar shed, install in the most efficient manner so expansion is easy.

Planning is the key.

That area for the panels can be expanded with another 200sqm that is on the other side of the "access road" (only 2 meters across )

The space in the SHED is the big question, because we use it for our Rain Water storage (NO Mains were we live) and my wife stores her fertilizer for her dear plants there (Naam Mak) (I call it smelly s....t ????  )

I think I can get away with more room, but first we need to be in agreement with the installers to have the inverters and batteries there, before we build the "electric Room or box". (Will build a special room out of AAC blocks and insulation there (even put in Aircon for the Batteries and Inverters)

If we need more space there, we could always put 1-2 of the Water tanks outside and pump water over!! But that is last resort (All tanks are interconnected at the moment)

Edit: Already given it much thought this!!

1st location of the Panels, because my Wife absolutely doesn't want the panels on the roof of the House

2nd Location of the Inverter/ESS. We don't have enough room near our FuseBox and closest to the house is the SHED (big shed (houses 21 x 2500 Liter water tanks) and that would be great. (Just measured it and the Shed is 4 Meters wide and 18 Meters long)

Edited by MJCM