Our Solar Install

MJCM - have you received any quotes for panels and MPPTs from Bluesun? Shipping and import costs? Someone (?) mentioned that they have a BKK facility - if so, that would cut down on the shipping and import fees.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dwagner said:

MJCM - have you received any quotes for panels and MPPTs from Bluesun? Shipping and import costs? Someone (?) mentioned that they have a BKK facility - if so, that would cut down on the shipping and import fees.

Thx, but Nope because I am not going to get any quotes from them, the reason being I can't install it myself!!

30 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

I note from one of your earlier posts that you mentioned 'X' number of (330W) panels to give you the power output that you are hoping to achieve.  I trust that you have taken into account that the panels are going to suffer efficiency losses

Thx for your elaborate and interesting post!

I was doing some manual calculations, but I will let the definite calculations be done by a Professional.

If it was done by me, I would end up with a much HIGHER PEA bill but with the same usage :whistling:????

I had a long talk with SWMBO about the (revised) budget for this.

This is approx how the conversation went

Me - Darkling ????  do you think *** THB is too much to spend on Solar?

She - First she came with the traditional Thai Response  "Up to You" but then countered with "That Much, how can people that don't have a lot of money afford Solar?"

Me - uuuuuh

She - I think **** THB is more then enough

So we agreed on a max budget to work with (which I think is always a good idea)! But she still remains very skeptical!! (I think she will only be happy after we got our first PEA bill after the install of the Solar)

But afterwards she almost immediately said "Our Builder is selling 5 rai of land, if we don't do the Solar lets buy that!" :whistling:

But looking at the threads, for example the one from @Thaifish which comes in at around 3xx K and for that price it doesn't include the Battery I think we are almost dead in the water.

Will keep you updated.

And I wonder how the solar companies are going to deal with the revised quote
(2x 5kW Inverters and 10kW+ ESS (but with expansion to 15-20kW if necessary) and NO E or W solar Panels)

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 7:49 AM, MJCM said:

the 6KW water heater

After all that has been said about your solar possibilities, there is one thing that has been nagging at me in the back of my mind.

Why do you need a constant 6kW water heater?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

After all that has been said about your solar possibilities, there is one thing that has been nagging at me in the back of my mind.

Why do you need a constant 6kW water heater?

It's not a constant one, it's in the Shower

First picture the specs

2nd picture more handy garden work of my wife but then in the shower area ????

Water_heater.JPG

water_heater_2.JPG

Edit: You wanna know how long it takes my wife to wash her hair?? That Water heater is on full blast for at least 20 minutes every other day and also every  morning at 5:30am when she wakes up, so I certainly will take this one in consideration when talking about Solar ????

Edited by MJCM
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, MJCM said:

It's not a constant one, it's in the Shower

First picture the specs

2nd picture more handy garden work of my wife but then in the shower area ????

Water_heater.JPG

water_heater_2.JPG

A jungle shower.

I use solar heated water for the evening shower but the early morning shower is 4kW electric.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

solar heated water

When we build this house I was thinking of getting a GAS (Mazuma???) powered water heater in, but time restraints (read COVID) prevented us! So we opted for this 6kW one (biggest one they had)

Edit: Yes Mazuma

https://mazuma.co.th/en/product-category/gas-water-heater/

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

When we build this house I was thinking of getting a GAS (Mazuma???) powered water heater in, but time restraints (read COVID) prevented us! So we opted for this 6kW one (biggest one they had)

Edit: Yes Mazuma

https://mazuma.co.th/en/product-category/gas-water-heater/

I have that Mazuma gas water heater , works like a breeze . Hot water as hot as you want , winter or summer .

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, MJCM said:

she always complains that the Water is too cold

Tell her perhaps to live like the rest of the villagers for a week.

Bowls full of cold water splashed over head and shoulders and no hair dryer.

• Haha 2

^ 555555

i bet if she would do that, our gas bottle would be finished within a week and not because of cooking food ????

edit: when she was taking care of her father, who lives in the BIL house in our old village, she would always go for a shower in our old house and after finishing the shower go back to the  BIL house to sleep there. ????

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Farma said:

What i will stress is look at the cost and payback period.

Thx for informative post, I will respond later in greater detail as we are in the garage for our cars regular check ups. 

but I am not in it for the payback period because if I told SWMBO that she would absolutely refuse ???? but we have set a max budget. 

thx again, really appreciated 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farma said:

What i will stress is look at the cost and payback period.

Cost and payback is the main criteria for many, but not all.

At the time when I did my first solar power installation, the exchange rate was 72 Baht/£.

Other than a temporary/construction supply at 8 Baht/unit, there was no PEA supply to my new build which was, at that time, 1km from the last post in the village. Supply cable was 25mm² artistically looped through the trees alongside a lake. The voltage in my CU would vary from 150 - 220 depending on what was going on both at my house and in the village. I could always tell when someone was doing a bit of welding.

I bought a complete off grid solar power kit from Tanfon in China for about £5,500. The spec. is a low frequency, 8kW system at 96v. It is still running now although it has morphed a bit to a low frequency 8kW system at 48v. 

My goal was to be self sufficient and green. That was my original aim and I feel I have succeeded remarkably well.

Payback time on the original build has been passed but upgrades and repairs will need a another year or two. 

• Like 2

We are back home again, so here it goes

2 hours ago, Farma said:

2 x 5kw LiFeP04 batteries @ 94,800 each

That is the killer right there. @Thaifish has these on back order. And still no end in sight when they get delivered.

Huawei batteries are .... expensive, but I think the reason (if I listened correctly to Fishy) and it's because they can draw to almost 0% of battery power left without side effects.

I am personally reluctant to go with ONE Supplier, reason being that you are tied to that supplier. For example (again if I listened correctly to Fishy and understood it) Huawei Inverters only can work with Huawei Batteries or Tesla ones.

But again I could be absolutely WRONG!

2 hours ago, Farma said:

I ended up bringing in a 2nd solar company to complete the install as it become too much to handle for my local solar company run by PEA and tessaban electricians

Your install would be approx mine install and if you already write that, this is what I am ABSOLUTELY TOTALLY AFRAID off!!

Thx again, really appreciated, all you guys who post give me lots and lots and again lots to think about!!

:wai:

Ps: I am MAYBE (again MAYBE) going to try to put a simple solar thing to work (for example 1 Panel, 1 small inverter, 1 small battery just to run a simple AC Fan just to see if it is something I would like to try on a bigger scale)

Would open of course a new topic if I decide to do so!

• Like 1

Yeah batteries are expensive. A friend has Alpha-ess and just paid 98k for an additional 5kw.

If I want to add to mine I'll need to buy another power module along with batteries as they only accept 3 batteries per module

My batteries were set to cut-off at 15% by the techs.

My original team were out of their depth once it came to setting up the software side of things. It didn't help that they passworded the system then forgot the password.

The team from my supplier who mostly install large commercial systems soon had the problem sorted. I couldn't initially use them as they were finishing a couple of large contracts.

I was also very impressed with Huawei tech helpline. Any little hiccup and the new install team were on the phone getting help. There was no waiting for someone to answer the helpline. The helpline easily talked them through resetting the dongle and inverter passwords plus a couple of minor settings. 

I didn't experience any delay in orders. I'm also upcountry and my batteries etc ordered in dribs and drabs arrived either overnight or the following day. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Farma said:

Yeah batteries are expensive. A friend has Alpha-ess and just paid 98k for an additional 5kw.

If I want to add to mine I'll need to buy another power module along with batteries as they only accept 3 batteries per module

My batteries were set to cut-off at 15% by the techs.

75Kbht for 10Kwhr on Lazada.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/must-10kwh-ess-tesla-powerwall-48v-200ah-lifepo4-battery-hybrid-grid-home-solar-energy-storage-system-i2777108044-s10101632895.html

30Kbht for a 5Kwhr .........

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i2646833087-s9512437008.html

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Thats a great find. Thanks. I'll definately look into it.

22 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

But the question is can this be used that with a Huawei install / Inverter?

Edited by MJCM

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

No, Huawei have special high-voltage packs, you are limited to their own brand or a very specific set of "pattern" parts.

@Thaifish has found this to his cost ???? 

Much bigger choice of inverters and ESS packs if you stick with a 48V system.

Just what I thought.

So I understood Fishy well when he said "Only Huawei or Tesla ones"!!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Special high price, high voltage packs.

Best to avoid anything non-standard, 'cos they'll bleed you dry.

^ +1

And that is why I said "Don't wanna be tied down to one supplier only"

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Crossy said:

"Huawei + Tesla" is two suppliers :whistling:

I know but I was told that the only other ones that connect to Huawei inverters is Tesla Batteries!!

Edit: Here is me wishing that Tesla Powerwalls (the original ones) become available in Thailand (at an affordable price and not with xxx% markup)

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

This is about the best deal I can find on Hybrid inverters at the moment, sold under several labels (Y&H).

Not too expensive at 16Kbht.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i2226480952-s9185383861.html

Nice find thx, but unfortunately not on the PEA list!

Edit: 555555 Only 1 item left (and I need 2) ????

aaaa.jpg

Edited by MJCM