Let's say you get infected... will they force you in hospital as foreigner? Can you just quietly stay in your apartment in self-quarantine?

Faranguz

1 hour ago, Spock said:

What did you get for that money?

Saw head nurse she sent me by wheelchair and porter for blood test, saw doctor he sent me for X-ray, after X-ray doctor referred me to another doctor who sent me to a ward where they put tube up bum,  tube in the one eye headed monster,  and a tube in my nose down into my stomach, yuck. 

I was put on large bottles of iv fliud and three times a day 2 other types of smaller bottles of iv fluids. 

4 injections a day put in iv lines.

For 2 days another iv line for high blood pressure stuff. 

The nurses were great and got me well from a burst stomach ulcer and the infection in the small intestine which it caused. 

Went home to bed rest for few days and still taking it easy until I  go back on 26th Jan when they will do a ultrasound.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 2

If it became known, here in the village, that I had COVID, nobody would force me to do anything.

They would keep their distance and I would stay at home.

There would be gossip

That is their standard procedure for such an eventuality.

If it became "borderline" serious I would seek admission to hospital.

"Common sense" all-round.

Although I am not certain that the other villagers would necessarily isolate or seek hospitalisation for themselves/family members in every case.

Just checked with the concubine.........."yes, that what we do".

"Realvolksleben"

25 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Saw head nurse she sent me by wheelchair and porter for blood test, saw doctor he sent me for X-ray, after X-ray doctor referred me to another doctor who sent me to a ward where they put tube up bum,  tube in the one eye headed monster,  and a tube in my nose down into my stomach, yuck. 

I was put on large bottles of iv fliud and three times a day 2 other types of smaller bottles of iv fluids. 

4 injections a day put in iv lines.

For 2 days another iv line for high blood pressure stuff. 

The nurses were great and got me well from a burst stomach ulcer and the infection in the small intestine which it caused. 

Went home to bed rest for few days and still taking it easy until I  go back on 26th Jan when they will do a ultrasound.

You got value for money, including a colonoscopy, gastroscopy and endoscopy. 

15 minutes ago, Spock said:

If that was seven days in government hospital ward for under 13k would be astonishing if that included a full colonoscopy, gastroscopy and endoscopy.! incredible value if correct?

Thats about what you would pay for one night in a private hospital with full blood checks and perhaps a couple of xrays and an ecg and a charge for each fart or for a doctors visit if one passes you in a corridor.

About 3 weeks ago I tested +ve via an ATK. Went to a hospital and had a further ATK, and a PCR.

Because I had mild symptoms the nurse said they could organise a hospital room or I could go home and isolate until I had -ve ATK test. I took the home isolation option, but did get a call from the local health authority to quiz me on isolation conditions etc. They seemed happy with the answers to the questions they asked and just said stay at home.

Anyway 8 days after the PCR I tested -ve on an ATK, so was fit to go back into circulation. No hospitalization was forced. I’m over 60 and am considered in the at risk category for that reason.

I thought it was a pretty pragmatic approach to be honest. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jaxxper said:

About 3 weeks ago I tested +ve via an ATK. Went to a hospital and had a further ATK, and a PCR.

Because I had mild symptoms the nurse said they could organise a hospital room or I could go home and isolate until I had -ve ATK test. I took the home isolation option, but did get a call from the local health authority to quiz me on isolation conditions etc. They seemed happy with the answers to the questions they asked and just said stay at home.

Anyway 8 days after the PCR I tested -ve on an ATK, so was fit to go back into circulation. No hospitalization was forced. I’m over 60 and am considered in the at risk category for that reason.

I thought it was a pretty pragmatic approach to be honest. 

Yes very pragmatic, unusual, where was this?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sapson said:

If that was seven days in government hospital ward for under 13k would be astonishing if that included a full colonoscopy, gastroscopy and endoscopy.! incredible value if correct?

Thats about what you would pay for one night in a private hospital with full blood checks and perhaps a couple of xrays and an ecg and a charge for each fart or for a doctors visit if one passes you in a corridor.

I was an in-patient at a private hospital because of diarrhea caused by a rotavirus. All in all 2.5 days and visits from doctors from every department you can imagine (because I have some ailments but this was not the reason why I needed treatment in the first place). Bill amounted to roughly 90'000.-- (all included, even the salt water infusion, farts were even free). However, this was some years ago and I was a tourist at the time.

Edited by moogradod

I'm posting this as it seems relevant to this thread - screenshot of part of a WhatsApp chat with a friend in Pattaya.

He's currently staying in a popular hotel / condo complex.  His comments in white, obviously

I've obfuscated the names of the premises and source of information for obvious reasons, but I know both personally.

In addition I would trust my friend to NOT be passing on unsubstantiated rumours or gossip, but if Mods think it's inappropriate please remove.

image.png.f5e0929868d36875d7c5eb9b21aabfaf.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spock said:

It's a good hospital.

I was in our hospital quite few years back for intensive treatment with Dengue fever the worst one apparently, was in ICU emergency for 2 days then moved to a ward for 3 days then a larger air-con 4 bed only room for 5 days.

The full into body tube job,  iv's, injections, and a change of blood.

The blood was the most expensive that's what shoot the bill up. 

74,000 baht job. 

Was in a second time for treating the Ashma I had developed, nebulizers, iv stuff,  tablets. 

Was the 4 bed air-con only room again for 6 days after 1 night in emergency. 12,000 baht.

Edited by Kwasaki

6 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Infantile. The next time  somebody beats and robs  you you won't be saying 'rules are made to be broken'

infantile? nah that's the way the world works. have fun following the rules in the land of its only wrong if you get caught and don't have enough satang to buy your way out ????

• Haha 1

On 1/14/2022 at 10:01 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

There are some conditions. If you are young and healthy and have no symptoms then you can stay at home.

For other conditions I recommend follow Richard Barrow on Twitter. He just published all the conditions.

He is a great source because he makes sure he only publishes facts and he does it faster than anybody else.

What about OLD and healthy and have no symptoms can you stay at home? So how would you know if you had the virus with no symptoms. I really need a better crystal ball.

2 hours ago, vandeventer said:

What about OLD and healthy and have no symptoms can you stay at home? So how would you know if you had the virus with no symptoms. I really need a better crystal ball.

Anyone old or young can go get tested at our gov hospital for covid is an isolated building in hospital grounds and free.

We have local approved quarantine bungalow where we will be allowed to stay if we are tested positive or both. We had family members coming home to village who stayed with us and the local health authorites came and checked on them. No way Im leaving the farm to stay side by side with other patients, unless it is absolutely needed.   

On 1/15/2022 at 1:37 AM, AndyAndyAndy said:

Used to be to 2019. Since then it doesn't seem to. ????

In Thailand IMO, it is used as a moneymaker regarding farangs, as they have the reputation of being financially well off. 100.000-200.000Bt for 14 nights?? Really!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Gov hospitals not expensive I've just spent 7 days in one not with covid so that may of added a bit more dunno. 

12,497 baht.

I wonder what would happen if a farang in a government hospital did not eat Thai food.

10 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I wonder what would happen if a farang in a government hospital did not eat Thai food.

You don't have too but in my case I was limited to what I ate.

Lashing up on full fried upped breakfasts, takeaways, too much process food and beer has got me where I am now.

I will miss it but I prefer to be able to ride my big bike, do my hobbies, and be out doing some work on the farm.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Chris.B said:

What a selfish and irresponsible attitude. Infecting others is of no concern to you?

What a selfish and irresponsible attitude.  Price gouging foreigners by forcing them into an expensive quarantine facility instead providing these facilities at cost for the public good.
No - instead?  They profiteer. 

Therefore - wise people lay low and self-quarantine.  If you are quarantining yourself, you're being responsible and you are not infecting anybody.  You're just not allowing a xenophobic government with their "public/private partnership for profit schemes" to profit from foreigners during a pandemic and 'public health emergency' as they are attempting to do.  
That is what is selfish and irresponsible - and amoral.

Edited by connda
  • Like 2