Clapping shoulders

StreetCowboy

This evening again the boss at our local put his arm around my shoulders to welcome me to his pub (although I was there before he was) and shook my hand.

I am not keen on acquaintances putting their arms around my shoulders.

If you clap me on the near shoulder, I will resent that.  If you put your arm around me, and clap me on the far shoulder, so far, I don't recall ever getting violent.

What is your view on uninvited physical contact?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I was out looking at homes with a real estate agent - 

The home owner was mowing his lawn and stopped when I arrived. He was literally dripping sweat... and then offered to shake my hand.. it was totally disgusting. 

Now, I just step back and wai everyone... 

• Haha 1

Typically for me that could happen within a "broad" inner circle (sports competition their wives would too).... Competing over the years kind of earned that comraderie....

In the OP's example it would be an unwanted & unwelcome gesture beyond a handshake.... Especially in a bar/tavern/restaurant scene....

That's before the Covid pandemic changed all the rules.....

Close Encounters:

My own father was a shoulder clapper, and a hand holder. When he shook anyone's hand, male or female, he did not let go for the rest of the conversation, and he placed his other arm around their shoulder the entire time. He was just being friendly. But I felt uncomfortable as I could see the other person squirming to get away and he was oblivious. I hate it when people do that to me.

I asked a close-talker once why she does that. Her face was always about four inches from the other person. Her first response was to ask if it was a problem because her breath stunk. I said no, I just don't like it, and you're so close my eyes cannot focus on you. She  explained that she really loves to be close enough to see details in the other person's face, individual eyelashes, pores in the skin, feel the other person's breath on her face and inhale their breath. Sounded pretty freaky to me. That's the last thing I want.

On 1/15/2022 at 9:35 PM, connda said:

"Don't Touch Me." 
Urban Upper Middle Class Yank.

I'm from the US and agree with you, many of my fellow country men get bothered if touched, even if in a friendly way.