HAVAL H6

Fairynuff

Having very happily driven Hondas my entire time in Thailand I’m now selling my Accord and decided to have a complete change. I saw the GWM showroom at Icon and like the HAVAL H6. I’ve looked at reviews online and they’ve been very favourable. The spec is pretty impressive plus a 5 year warranty and I’m seriously tempted.

Id be very keen to hear from anyone who’s  actually bought one and to hear if you’re happy with it or not, and your reasons. Also from anyone in a similar situation who’s considering but not yet decided.

i really don’t want to hear comments about Chinese cars or any other anti Chinese stuff. Generally I shy away from Chinese products as much as possible, but on this I’m open minded.

• Haha 1

Really like the H6 also.  Only other thing in its class / price point would be the MGs / HS PHEV.  Worth taking a peek at that, if you haven't already.

MG ZS & EP if wanting all EV.  There's a couple member on AN with MG EVs.  Seem quite happy with them.

Not in the market ourselves, as picked up a MG ZS (non EV) just last year.  Which we quite like.  Have an E-motorcycle (DECO SUSU) for my local (<50 kms) around town driving, which we also like very much.

37 minutes ago, moose7117 said:

The issue with the Australian reviews is that the models are quite different. I didn’t find any reference to hybrids and some of the spec is different.

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Really like the H6 also.  Only other thing in its class / price point would be the MGs / HS PHEV.  Worth taking a peek at that, if you haven't already.

MG ZS & EP if wanting all EV.  There's a couple member on AN with MG EVs.  Seem quite happy with them.

Not in the market ourselves, as picked up a MG ZS (non EV) just last year.  Which we quite like.  Have an E-motorcycle (DECO SUSU) for my local (<50 kms) around town driving, which we also like very much.

I’ve looked at the MG range and sorry to be insulting to an MG owner but I think the H6 gives you a lot more for your money

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Also from anyone in a similar situation who’s considering but not yet decided.

I've read they are softly sprung and a bit wallowy. A negative for me. OK as highway cruiser though I guess.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I've read they are softly sprung and a bit wallowy. A negative for me. OK as highway cruiser though I guess.

I found the ride very good. I guess we all have our preferences. Most of my driving is out of town and 2-3 hr journeys, around Bangkok it’s easier to use grab or taxis.

They look the part... but are they safe ???

I’d really like to see some crash test reports and safety ratings such as NCAP to international recognised ratings... (i.e. Euro NCAP and not just Asean NCAP).

The stuff I’ve quickly looked at, looks ok...   I’d want to look a lot deeper though before I trust any ‘new brand’ particularly from a nation known for ‘cheap corner cutting’....  maybe that page has been turned already... example at hand Xiaomi makes good stuff !!!....

——-

I watched ‘something’ where the Range Rover Evoque was compared to the Landwind X7 (Chinese copy of Evoque)... the test was utterly damning...

Edited by richard_smith237

6 hours ago, digbeth said:

The brand's still in the launch phase and their reputation is on the line so anything that goes wrong is likely to be remedied satisfactorily who knows what'll happen 5 years down the line, but looks like they invest a lot in Thailand and will be here for the long haul

GWM has been at for shy of 40 yrs (1984), and some of the comments are just silly.  Anti China is all I'm reading.

Do tell, how many own a GWM or MG ?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

GWM has been at for shy of 40 yrs (1984), and some of the comments are just silly.  Anti China is all I'm reading.

Do tell, how many own a GWM or MG ?

I agree, which is why I asked for replies not to be anti China. MG was British for ,most of its existence and although I knew it no longer was I didn’t know it was now Chinese.

1 minute ago, Fairynuff said:

New to you and me perhaps but GWM have been around a good few years

Fairynuff....,   But do you trust it ???.... Its done well in the C-NCAP....  (Chinese NCAP)

As KhunLA wrote.... Anti China is all he is reading... He’s right... 

I am definitely skeptical and I accept a certain distrust of Chinese products.

I’d like to see Euro NCAP ratings before I travelled on an expressway at speed in one. 

19 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Anti China is all I'm reading.

Only sat in one at the motor show - but was impressed with the looks, the spec and design of the interior.  But I'd need to drive one, as I tried an MG SUV, and the ride was very harsh, so not sure if GWM have the experience to make a car ride well.

I'd also like to see the second hand value, as I'd be worried about a big drop in value when buying new.  Perhaps an ideal second hand buy in a while 

• 10 months later...
On 1/17/2022 at 1:01 AM, Kinnock said:

But I'd need to drive one, as I tried an MG SUV, and the ride was very harsh, so not sure if GWM have the experience to make a car ride well.

A test drive is a must, and not just on perfectly smooth roads.

In general the unibody based SUV's are considered to be smooth riding vehicles.

The reality is that some manufacturers are purposefully tuning their product to ride on the firm side.

Edited by unheard
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

@Andrew Dwyer

Things I dislike about the Haval H6 PHEV:

Exterior

- black colour, while it looks fantastic, shows up dirt and fingerprints clearly, especially where you touch to close the doors

- the charging flap feels cheaply mad and is the size of a dinner plate

- no mudflaps provided as standard so during the rainy season, will have dirty undersides

Interior

- many functions have to be controlled via the infotainment system (setting AC controls, switching drive modes etc)

Seating and ergonomics

- driver seat doesn’t have tilt. Only has up/down, forward/backwards, recline and lumbar

- steering wheel a bit thin, made for skinny Asian hands

Driving

- one pedal mode can only be set when vehicle is stationary. That means when you have activated cruise control, you won’t be able to activate one pedal driving when you reach city limits unless the car comes to a standstill 

- not sure when the brake lights activate when using one pedal driving. Would be good to have some indication inside the vehicle so that I know if I need to actually brake in order to warn the usual idiot drivers behind that I’m slowing down

- parking sensors are overly excited. I’m used to parking using my mirrors but the warning alarms go haywire when I’m still a couple of inches from a wall or pillar

- adaptive cruise control behaves like the typical Thai driver, slowing down excessively and unnecessary at some curves 

- ICE works overtime and drinks like a fish when battery SOC is low and the ICE is charging up the battery pack

Infotainment / Navigation system 

- the built in sat nav is great in that driving directions can be seen on the info screen, instrument cluster and HUD. That’s where the positives end. System is in Thai; talks continuously, spouting unnecessary warnings like intersection ahead, school zone etc. Setting the destination is a nightmare, almost to the point of being impossible. Doesn’t support English. Unable to edit saved and favourite places

- similar story with AI. Thai language only. You can say “bird sunroof”. That works. But “bird windows “ doesn’t work 

GWM app

- you can close sunroof and windows from the app but not open it

- you can start seat cooling and turn on AC but not when the car is charging 

In summary, I’m super satisfied with it. Comfortable, smooth and turns heads.

Thanks @Gweiloman

I swore I would never have another black car after a Ford Orion in the early 80’s, but I did buy a black Citroen in the late 90’s , they are the best looking colour but never again .

Most of your complaints are common to the H6/Jolion range especially the lack of buttons to change stuff quickly requiring navigation on the screen while driving, changing air conn settings etc.

Short seat bottom with no tilt

Settings not being saved and cannot be adjusted on the move.

Mud flaps aren’t common here but pretty sure I’ve seen them available on Shopee.

The adaptive cruise control braking on bends and one pedal lack of brake light also frequently mentioned.

So many safety features ( ADAS, WDS etc ) but a lot of them are overly intrusive and not suitable for Thai war zone driving experience.

The MG and GWM seems like a very similar system with speech control and the app etc, on MG can use English for sat Nav and the whole system, only the voice control is in Thai. That’s a big disadvantage for you I guess, on my MG I had to go into sat Nav settings to eliminate a lot of unnecessary warnings bells, but it does save my saved and favourite places.

I guess a manual in English is out of the question.

Still my favourite at the moment despite these issues and still kinda hoping for a Jolion PHEV in the near future.

Enjoy your ride .

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

Things I dislike about the Haval H6 PHEV:

Exterior

- black colour, while it looks fantastic, shows up dirt

Why our ZS is silver.  Other 2 options were Black or White for that model.

Really liked our Red ICE version's color.  Next model up that's available with Blue s, but also comes with sunroof & more electronics, both we didn't want.

Warmed up to though and now like it.  Wife is still crying ????????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

The lack of English language on the Sat Nav is a bit of a set back , although wired Apple CarPlay and Android Auto can be used to run Google maps from the phone on the info screen. Presumably this is true of the H6 and Jolion HEV’s also ?

Somewhat surprised as these cars , or similar versions of them, have been available in Australia for some time, I’m guessing that only one language is available.

Presumably @Gweiloman , it’s only the Sat Nav that doesn’t support English and the system itself can be changed to English ?

Edited by Andrew Dwyer

24 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The lack of English language on the Sat Nav is a bit of a set back , although wired Apple CarPlay and Android Auto can be used to run Google maps from the phone on the info screen. Presumably this is true of the H6 and Jolion HEV’s also ?

Somewhat surprised as these cars , or similar versions of them, have been available in Australia for some time, I’m guessing that only one language is available.

Presumably @Gweiloman , it’s only the Sat Nav that doesn’t support English and the system itself can be changed to English ?

It is only the Sat Nav and the Haval Assistant (lite Siri/Alexa/Ok Google) that is in Thai. The rest of the system can be changed to English. I would rate this as the biggest issue for the Haval and would be a dealbreaker if not for the fact that (the wired) Apple CP and Android Auto works well. Google maps and Waze are both better systems than the OEM Sat Nav. Having said that, the built in sat nav is gorgeous looking with extremely clear driving instructions and visual displays. 

I’m hoping that an OTA update will rectify this issue sometime in the not too distant future.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, tomyami said:

If you look at the resale value on an MG compared to a jap its telling

What I find strange is that Chinese made cars are quite popular in Australia and the Uk but seems to be much more unpopular with westerners living in Thailand. Many here won’t touch Chinese made cars with a barge pole but they sell like hotcakes overseas.

- not sure when the brake lights activate when using one pedal driving. Would be good to have some indication inside the vehicle so that I know if I need to actually brake in order to warn the usual idiot drivers behind that I’m slowing down

Yeah, I spent a few days with an electric Volvo XC40. I got to really like the one pedal driving (after initially disliking it) but that was my concern too - how do I know if the brake lights are coming on?  In traffic I was trying to look for reflections in the car behind. I had to Google to make they were coming on and found this from Volvo:

The brake lights are activated if the braking force exceeds a certain level.

Not very descriptive or helpful. I think your idea of icon in the driver display is a really good idea!

• Thumbs Up 1