PM Assigns ‘Anucha’ to Address Expensive Lottery Tickets

snoop1130

4b863f182b65bc038b31ddda9a2ce9b5_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has instructed officials to erect a committee to address the long-standing problem of expensive lottery tickets.

The committee will be headed by Minister Attached to the Prime Minister’s Office Anucha Nakasai. Dr. Seksakol Atthawong, Vice Minister Attached to the Prime Minister’s Office, will act as the deputy chairman of the committee.

Other members of the committee consist of officials from the Ministry of Finance, the Ministry of Interior, the Ministry of Justice, the Office of the Attorney General, the Anti-Money Laundering Office, and the Royal Thai Police, just to name some.

The committee is authorized to inspect the issue of high lottery ticket prices. Government lottery tickets should not be sold higher than 80 baht apiece. The committee is to propose solutions directly to the Prime Minister or the Cabinet.

The operating expenses of the committee will be reimbursed from the Government Lottery Office (GLO).

Currently, the price vendors buy from the GLO is 74 baht and 40 satang per ticket. However, several lottery vendors have been selling bundles of 5 tickets for 800 baht, 3 tickets for 500 baht, or even as high as 700 baht. Some of them sell a pair for 220. High on-demand tickets can go as high as 250 baht apiece.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-01-17

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, law ling said:

So, if there's a million tickets printed per draw (yes, not all are sold), and if average mark up is B20 (yes, can be more), that's B20 million - every two weeks - into the hands of vendors (over and above their approved commission).

Among the many, many, many issues, the fact that there were (still are but obfuscated) just a handful of wholesalers - the "GLO" sells in bulk to these, then the wholesalers take their cut, before selling (extending credit actually) to retailers. Some of whom then resell, again after a cut, to walkers. These franchises have been held tightly - they pay protection money to retain the rights, don't ask - and will not be given up without a fight. Digital Lottery? Yeah, maybe with thailand four hundred point Oh.

The whole endeavor is a rotting fish.

The underground lottery is not without its issues, but it might b more 'democratic"?

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Yeah but this is "government theatre" not real governing.

The pm doesn't want to solve the pricing issue, he wants it to appear as though he is "solving" the pricing issue.

Bingo! You understand the Thai system. He has spoken, made his recommendations, and his job is done. Anything that happens later is not his responsibility. You, I, he and everyone else knows that what is said will be ignored and is unenforceable, but that is not the point. He has acted, done what he considers to be his job, while actually doing nothing. This happens all the time, at least once a week. Someone makes a declaration and the next day it's ignored and forgotten. But that person has done their job by 'acting'.

A day or two ago I wrote that Thais have a remarkable ability to make even the most simple of tasks difficult. This is another example. Here is the simple, obvious and very easy way to prevent anyone being able to sell lottery tickets at illegal/inflated prices:

Tell the people not to buy from those sellers, only from those who charge the proper price.

How difficult is that! No-one forces anyone to pay over the top. Jeez!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

A day or two ago I wrote that Thais have a remarkable ability to make even the most simple of tasks difficult. This is another example. Here is the simple, obvious and very easy way to prevent anyone being able to sell lottery tickets at illegal/inflated prices:

Tell the people not to buy from those sellers, only from those who charge the proper price.

How difficult is that! No-one forces anyone to pay over the top. Jeez!

If you could choose your preferred number from any vendor, that would work. But in most cases you'll only find the number that the fortune teller or two-headed calf told you would be lucky at one stand, so when you find it you'll probably pay whatever they ask.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Or..

PM sends out a memo... WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT all tickets are 80 baht, end of story.

Anyone selling for more than that you will have your tickets removed, fined and unable to sell again.

Takes 5 minutes.

That would definitely work, BUT...

- no one would like the optics of poor, handicapped vendors being stripped of their livelihoods, and

- that would require enforcement, which would require actual work.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, digbeth said:

there are no overpriced lottery, or any prostitutes in Pattaya either  

And no sex tourists that travel 1000's of Kms because they can't get laid in their own countries, I don't say all tourists, but many do, I see them in the coffee shop, old washed up cretins boasting and back slapping each other.

Many Americans are really loud, not all, but many are, they can really pi'ss people off with their boasting how this girl, younger than their grand children, is really into them. 5555

It's a pitiful sight and a verbal assault of the ears.

My mate was in the Coffee shop with his wife and Kids, he went over to a table of 4 old men and told them to keep it down, to their credit they did, but only because they were intimidated, not because they had any social graces.

Obviously not ThaiVisa members !

Edited by Broken Record
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Broken Record said:

And no sex tourists that travel 1000's of Kms because they can't get laid in their own countries, I don't say all tourists, but many do, I see them in the coffee shop, old washed up cretins boasting and back slapping each other.

Many Americans are really loud, not all, but many are, they can really pi'ss people off with their boasting how this girl, younger than their grand children, is really into them. 5555

Awesome diatribe. Related to the lottery how exactly?

Wrong thread maybe?

Keep grinding that axe.

• Like 1

Dear PM, I have lived in Thailand and buy lottery tickets every draw for 8 years, never have I paid anything other than 100 baht a ticket, forget the committee come with me any day any place any time and I will show you.

Edited by Almer
Spell

Buy a few hours before the end of Lottery period.  You can get them for 80 THB.

Why can't they enforce 80 THB tickets?
There is obviously no enforcement mechanism - in other words - there is no will to change and actually enforce the law.