Is it really worth the hassle to travel out of Thailand in the next few months?

webfact

I have booked hotel and flight for 5 weeks in Munich in late May with full refund for both if I cancel. I am about to cancel flight but leave hotel for later. I don't think things will significantly improve much as far as bureaucracy is concerned for 1-2 years so I will rebook my flights when they do. 

6 hours ago, Lupusthai said:

Last visit to Europe in spring 2019. Have not seen my grandchildren no. 4-7 yet.????
No chance to visit my 5 children & grandchildren in the foreseeable future because not insurable at 75 suffering from COPD and (recovered) cancer. ????

May be the best time to make a trip.....loved ones are important

• Like 2

4 hours ago, crouchpeter said:

Got my Thailand Pass before I left on 26th Nov., arriving back from Sydney 30th Dec. Yeah, your return date is written in stone!

Thanks for your info. Who (in Thailand) did you apply to to get your Thailand Pass? Or did you apply to overseas embassy from Thailand?

I have been traveling domestically lately. First Phuket and now in Bangkok, heading back home to Chiang Mai next week. Will keep traveling internally in Thailand as long as it is easy and possible.

Internationally is a total different issue. Not leaving before I am 100% sure I can get back in without quarantine.

• Like 1

I don't think it is worth it. The article is very good.....it is not what the current regulations are, it is what they might be when I want to come back that is the concern. And to be ripped off for insurance, possible long stays in ASQs, and endless testing, and the like....well who wants all that.

I'm double vaccinated but have no intention of going for a booster.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, internationalism said:

there is no way that 14 ASQ will be back.

At that time it's only 7 days  AQ or 7 days sandboxes in 4 provinces (and it will be growing to over 10 within months - so you can chose one next to your house).

I had to top up my yearly health insurance by 10k over my previous premium to meet $50k entry requirement. That is not any burden at all, covers all medical conditions in thailand and abroad.

Flights are cheaper than pre-covid. With the best airline, emirates, on a fully flexible ticket, it's 21k (pre-covid was over 30k). They throw in free covid insurance $200k for 30 days. Just on testing positive $100 per day for 14 days - so you have for hotel. Or pocket this money, if staying with family, friends.

Flying to europe doesn't require testing. Not even filling 2 minutes online locator form.

On way back pre-departure pcr e50 (results in 24h).

Landing pcr 2200b (included in T&G hotel booking).

Second test free, courtesy of thai government.

Doing T&G or sandbox is a 5 minutes work - attach insurance, hotel booking, vax. And wait a week or two - just a matter of proper planning and patience.

Testing positive on entering thailand can be nervous experience. Get an additional covid insurance for 1k per year. I have 2 - cover 300k. I expect to pay 100k for 10 days. Another 200k I will pocket for self-insurance for future travel.

"Let us know if you think it's worth it"

That is the question asked at the end of the article we are responding to.

I got half way through your post and the answer was blatantly obvious - NO!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Thaiophil said:

I have not left the LoS for 15 months and will not do so anytime soon.  Sky high airfares, tedious quarantines and a huge hassle if you test positive and can’t travel are major deterrents

same here over 2 year's now not being able to get back lost everything business.home belongings..all scavenged..

• Sad 1

I really haven't had much of a problem travelling to Dubai etc, neither entering Thailand under the Test and Go scheme in early Dec, only 1 day quarantine in a Bkk hotel. Neither do I anticipate much of a problem returning home next month; one just needs an RT-PCR test 72 hours before. Not a biggie. 

• Confused 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

So, is it really worth the hassle of getting a visa and all those medical tests and insurance, just for a few days away?

I think the restrictions were needed before vaccines, now only for anti vaxxers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

I'll be travelling to Australia in March, situations at that time permitting of course.

I would hope in 2 months the covid situation will improve to make travel  who knows....another strain could well emerge in the meantime

I hoped in March 2020 that i would be able to fly to LOS in Nov 2020...here we are in 2022,and going nowhere until all the BS Bureaucracy is over with..Good luck with March!!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RubenRemus said:

I've travelled a lot since the pandemic began, including several arrivals to Thailand and including with family. It's not as impossible as many here are saying. You need to do your homework and have patience, of course, given there are more hoops to go through. But the worst case scenario is C19 infection or exposure that gets you put in quarantine. This has happened for some but not for the vast majority. The next worst case is sudden policy changes that lead to a short halt in visa approvals. We have seen this is not the end of the world even in the Omicron phase – again, you just need to be patient. The final big hurdle is the risk of having to switch from Test & Go to a sandbox scenario. But having done both Phuket sandbox (7 nights on the beach) and BKK ASQ (15 nights in a room), the bad old days appear to be very much behind us.  Again, you just need to be patient. 

Now, having the money for all of this is another story.....

Yes, a mate is flitting in and out of Bangkok from Australia (4 times in 6 mos) with all the paperwork and testing. No problem he says. So far no quarantine for him

8 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Correct. For people like me at 88 years of age, insurance which is required to return to Thailand is impossible to get. My days of visiting my family around the world are over. It sounds dramatic but we are trapped here unless we are prepared to leave our wives and loved ones for ever. I'm certainly not. 

And if they make insurance compulsory for an extension of stay, then what ? Where does that leave you ?

I consider that is something people should be considering and if insurance, even for Thai costs, is impossible at increasing age, then what sum of money on deposit, not forged each year but really on deposit, would be required to effectively self insure. If that was 5m baht, 99% of retirees would fail to qualify.

Edited by SGD
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

I decided to to tour the Southern Islands at the beginning of December, my friends thought I was crazy but the levels were low at the time and knew come New Year there would be a spike and I was right

Can i borrow your Crystal Ball for a while ????????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hkt83100 said:

Not being out of the country since November 2007 why should I go now?

Don’t really apply to you then bruv. ????

Know topic is would you travel ‘out of Thailand’, but same same really… although I’ve said it like 15,000 times, I’ll say again. If going one way (or maybe for a funeral), then perhaps yes, but just for a holiday!? Why on earth would you want to bestow on yourself such misery?

• Like 2