Is it really worth the hassle to travel out of Thailand in the next few months?

webfact

3 hours ago, jcmj said:

I understand it may be difficult to get back to Thailand, but what are the hassles of, say going back to the US?

Main hassle is need for a negative COVID test nto more than 1 day before departure (but it can be an antigen test, does nto need to be PCR, so doable).

Non-US citizens must also have proof of vaccination

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/requirements-for-air-travelers-to-the-us.html

5 hours ago, Mingomania said:

I have a Multiple Turist Visa which allows me to stay for 60 days at a time during a period of 180 days. Before the Covid restrictions we used to drive to Cambodia, get my 60 days visa renewed the same day and then return back to Pattaya. Since border crossings now is out of the question, I'm forced to leave by air to some nearby country, a place from where it would be far less troublesome to get into the kingdom without too much hassle, any suggestions?

Other than flight time, not much difference in hassle factor for entering Thailand according to where you are coming from.

You can enter Cambodia with just a pre-departure COVID test and proof of vaccination (a second test is done at the airport on arrival at no cost to the traveller). But be forewarned that the COVID test for departure back to Thailand will cost you US$130 in Cambodia, so double what it costs in Thailand.

Be sure to get Thailand Pass before you leave, in case something changes while you are away - last time, at leastm, they continued to honor already approved passes.

2 hours ago, superal said:

Using a private taxi ( not a flag down taxi that is not cleaned between fares ) and thus avoiding crowded airports must reduce your chances of coming into contact with the virus . I do not stay in Buriram but about 1 hours drive away , on the outskirts of a small town where the incidence of covid is small , unlike Bangkok where it it is still abundant . Also I have to stay in my residence for 14 days to comply with the local rules . My family are all fully jabbed , booster included . So I have considered the travel risks and reduced my chances of meeting the virus , hardly naive , unlike your statement . 

How do you know the Covid cases in your village is small? 

So what if people are vaccinated, Omicron does n't really care.

You've reduced your chances i agree but at some point you're gonna have to go about your business, then what?

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

How do you know the Covid cases in your village is small? 

So what if people are vaccinated, Omicron does n't really care.

You've reduced your chances i agree but at some point you're gonna have to go about your business, then what?

1/ If there is a single person infected with the virus , the whole village is locked down for 2 weeks , happened late 2020 when a local man returned from Bangkok,  where he was working , fell ill and died in the local hospital . Since then there has been no lock down for more than 1 year .

2/ It is true that being vaccinated does not stop you getting infected but it does aid your immune system and prevent the propagation of the virus within your body , thus lessening the potency of the virus and also reduces the passing on of the virus to others .

3/ World statistics suggest that the current omicron variant is on the wain and if it copies its close relative of SARS which peaked in March 2004 and had vanished in July the same year , we do not have to live with the fears and restrictions that we have had to endure for the past 2 years for much longer , so a case of being on your guard for a couple of months more . 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, superal said:

1/ If there is a single person infected with the virus , the whole village is locked down for 2 weeks , happened late 2020 when a local man returned from Bangkok,  where he was working , fell ill and died in the local hospital . Since then there has been no lock down for more than 1 year .

2/ It is true that being vaccinated does not stop you getting infected but it does aid your immune system and prevent the propagation of the virus within your body , thus lessening the potency of the virus and also reduces the passing on of the virus to others .

3/ World statistics suggest that the current omicron variant is on the wain and if it copies its close relative of SARS which peaked in March 2004 and had vanished in July the same year , we do not have to live with the fears and restrictions that we have had to endure for the past 2 years for much longer , so a case of being on your guard for a couple of months more . 

1/ What about asymptomatic people that are spreading the virus, or you don't think that's happening in your village?

2/ Getting anti bodies is better than the vaccines.

3/ Exactly, it's a common cold, i had it for 5 days last week, no biggie.

It's evident to see throughout the world now that restrictions are easing and the virus is getting weaker, there's less and less people that care anymore which is great IMO, the end is in sight hopefully.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jimn said:

Sorry but you are just making excuses. You have family here bit cant make the effort to come and see them. Shame on you.

I didnt see my lady and her kids for 9 months.So i took 15 nigths qurantene in BKK last year.3 wonderful months togeher.It was expencive to go to thailand,but i did it anyway.If we really care and can afford it and have time we should do it.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 12:36 PM, Sheryl said:

Other than flight time, not much difference in hassle factor for entering Thailand according to where you are coming from.

You can enter Cambodia with just a pre-departure COVID test and proof of vaccination (a second test is done at the airport on arrival at no cost to the traveller). But be forewarned that the COVID test for departure back to Thailand will cost you US$130 in Cambodia, so double what it costs in Thailand.

Be sure to get Thailand Pass before you leave, in case something changes while you are away - last time, at leastm, they continued to honor already approved passes.

I already have a Thailand Pass, which should be good along with my Multiple Entry Visa for a period of 180 days and Cambodia sounds promising as long as there's no quarantine and I can return as soon as my testing is done.

1 hour ago, stigar said:

I didnt see my lady and her kids for 9 months.So i took 15 nigths qurantene in BKK last year.3 wonderful months togeher.It was expencive to go to thailand,but i did it anyway.If we really care and can afford it and have time we should do it.

Exactly well said

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Mingomania said:

I already have a Thailand Pass, which should be good along with my Multiple Entry Visa for a period of 180 days and Cambodia sounds promising as long as there's no quarantine and I can return as soon as my testing is done.

Your testing will be done right in the airport, but then you'll need another, second  test for departure to Thailand -- they don't give you a report of your airport test and anyway it is rapid antigen test so doesn't meet Thailand entry requirements. There are only a few  places you can do this test for travel purposes, and it  takes at least 24 hours to get the results.

In addition, flights are only in the morning (and need to book well in advance - they fill up as demand exceeds seats).

So you'd need to spend at least 2 nights there..and that's assuming you go straight from the airport to the testing location for the pre-departure test and there are no delays in getting test result. Personally I'd allow a day or two extra just in case, especially given that you likely can't change flight schedule on short notice.

No quarantine unless you have the misfortune of testing positive either in arrival or on your pre-departure test.

COVID tests for travel in PP can be done at either:

National Institute of Public Health in Toul Kork   https://niph.org.kh/niph/detail-news-events/224/index.html

(can pre-register online)

or at

Intercare Medical Center
Olympia City, Building C5, Tower A, 12th floor
Sangkat Veal Vong, Khan 7 Makara

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Web site: 
www.theolympiamedicalhub.com

email <[email protected]>

Both are $130

Flying out of Thailand to another country would be much easier and less costly( everything dealing with covid  costs) , I would think as opposed to having to come back here with all the hoops and  covid revenue schemes Thailand has installed.

Best to kizzy up,stay put !

Edited by riclag
  • Like 2

On 1/20/2022 at 5:36 AM, Sheryl said:

Latest update:To enter Cambodia you'll need to show a negative COVID-19 (PCR) test result issued within 72 hours of your arrival into Cambodia. Travellers to Cambodia who are vaccinated don't need to quarantine on arrival. Lockdowns, movement restrictions and curfews have eased. Monitor local media. Follow the advice of local authorities as restrictions may be reimposed at short notice. y u post stupid

On 1/19/2022 at 7:58 AM, HashBrownHarry said:

It's getting easier and easier to travel by the weak, restrictions are now finally starting to be reduced throughout the world.

The end is in sight IMO.

Agreed. Not sure where the earlier post of "sky high air fares" comes from. My sister flew LHR-THK at the beginning of December 2020 and will return begining of March 2022 for about Bt 24,000. That doesn't seem sky high to me.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2022 at 8:02 PM, Sheryl said:

Your testing will be done right in the airport, but then you'll need another, second  test for departure to Thailand -- they don't give you a report of your airport test and anyway it is rapid antigen test so doesn't meet Thailand entry requirements. There are only a few  places you can do this test for travel purposes, and it  takes at least 24 hours to get the results.

In addition, flights are only in the morning (and need to book well in advance - they fill up as demand exceeds seats).

So you'd need to spend at least 2 nights there..and that's assuming you go straight from the airport to the testing location for the pre-departure test and there are no delays in getting test result. Personally I'd allow a day or two extra just in case, especially given that you likely can't change flight schedule on short notice.

No quarantine unless you have the misfortune of testing positive either in arrival or on your pre-departure test.

COVID tests for travel in PP can be done at either:

National Institute of Public Health in Toul Kork   https://niph.org.kh/niph/detail-news-events/224/index.html

(can pre-register online)

or at

Intercare Medical Center
Olympia City, Building C5, Tower A, 12th floor
Sangkat Veal Vong, Khan 7 Makara

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Web site: 
www.theolympiamedicalhub.com

email <[email protected]>

Both are $130

Thanks a million for the very detailed info, which l certainly will keep in mind, when l make my decision...