Where would you put your earnings?

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I would not buy land in Hua Hin since there is a high risk and also to high prices on the land. House properties the same. 

It was down last year, but I also registered the prices popped up again before end of the year. 

The only risk I noticed was some land was nor sor 3, which I will not buy.

I noticed there was an increase, but it's down again.

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Crypto? Rule number one in investing is never put your money into something you don't understand.

I agree.if you don't understand cycles, don't invest more than you can afford.

I am comfortable with it after many years researching it.

9 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

The only risk I noticed was some land was nor sor 3, which I will not buy.

I noticed there was an increase, but it's down again.

The main problem with Hua Hin marked, it is static, and do not follow the normal price by demand. It is also been to high expectations in and around Hua Hin, hyped up with international flights, close to BKK (Not really true) High speed train and so on. Pattaya and Chonburi have everything, and in my eyes more correct priced and better future for investments. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, PoodThaiMaiDai said:

You only lose money if you overreact and sell when it is down.  It will always rebound over time.

That's what I tell myself every morning when I look at my shrinking ARKK and growth stock holdings... It only ends at zero!

But yes, hanging in there till 2030 (or longer).

• Haha 2

Laddered Treasury strips.

(I'll take a moment to let the laughter die down.)

The theory:

Yes, there are definitely inflationary pressures: labor, commodities, and especially food (due to climate change) which are going to be here for a considerable period of time, and which are going to put pressure on central banks to raise interest rates.

But as those inflationary pressures increase and interest rates rise, this is going to flush out a great deal of the froth in the real estate, equity, crypto, etc. markets. The rise in interest rates will not only slow the economy down, but will dampen the wealth effect when above markets roll over. Also, as interest rates rise, government borrowing costs are going to become more politically charged hot-button issues than they already are. Growing fears of looming entitlement program cuts will further dampen consumption demand.

Ultimately, the reason I remain bullish on bonds (believe it or not) is that government entitlement programs are going to be cut which will cripple consumption demand in the West. The reason I believe government spending is going to have to be cut is because either there will be a dollar crisis triggered by runaway government spending or because there will be geopolitical tensions or conflicts which disrupt government borrowing in the US and Western Europe.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

That's what I tell myself every morning when I look at my shrinking ARKK and growth stock holdings... It only ends at zero!

Hopefully you didn’t put too much into this fund? You are taking a bet on Cathie Wood’s ability to pick future innovators, rather than the broader stock market (which represent the economy).

Much safer to put your money in something like the iShares MSCI ACWI ETF or the Vanguard world stock index funds.

You will of course only see “average” returns, but at a much lower risk, and average stock market returns over a 5+ year period have historically been pretty good.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, lkn said:

Hopefully you didn’t put too much into this fund? You are taking a bet on Cathie Wood’s ability to pick future innovators, rather than the broader stock market (which represent the economy).

Much safer to put your money in something like the iShares MSCI ACWI ETF or the Vanguard world stock index funds.

You will of course only see “average” returns, but at a much lower risk, and average stock market returns over a 5+ year period have historically been pretty good.

1/8 of my investments, now worth around 1/16... But it's okay, I made some good money over the past couple months. I bought back into 'growth stocks' for a 'Santa rally', and I believed the "experts" back in October/November that the high inflation was 'transitory'... Yeah, right!

I'm currently only with about 1/8 in stocks, so even though losses are anywhere between 10 and 45%, the effect on my overall portfolio is limited.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

Where to invest, a first world problem for sure.  It’s worth seriously considering real assets such as real estate or collectibles (e.g. high end watches always popular in Thailand).  I have money in gold but gold is going nowhere unless the US dollar weakens and interest rates stay low.  So it’s a maybe.  If you want to tough it out in stocks look to buy stock of companies that have a strong balance sheet and make lots of money … the day of meme stocks, SPAC’s and high growth no profit companies are over for the time being.  Oil and Financial sectors should do OK this year.  Crypto?  You will need a big brass pair to go down this road but who can say what the upside is once prices bottom.

I think real estate would be the wise move, esp as I need somewhere to stay ???? buyer's market right now.

BItcoin, I will definitely buy if it goes to 32k, might ladder in today at 33k. The thing that's maybe happening with the fed on Wednesday has already been priced in.

13 hours ago, dj230 said:

I sold my stocks in December and moved to gold. 
I expect gold to go up but eventually correct so I’ll probably sell it if it reaches close to 2500.

You're an optimist. Wouldn't the dollar have to be very weak for gold at 2,500? - I was looking at gold as an investment option, but it seems to move only sideways recently.

16 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

You're an optimist. Wouldn't the dollar have to be very weak for gold at 2,500? - I was looking at gold as an investment option, but it seems to move only sideways recently.

The only thing propping up the USD is its status as a reserve currency. I suspect other nations are going to tire of financing US debt, which is now in the trillions, and the pandemic is not helping.

China and India are importers of gold, as well as being quite substantial miners of it within their borders. They are hoarding gold for a reason.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

If a bigger conflict happens between Ukraina and Russia and same time Taiwan invaded by China, gold will rise. Is it likely to happen? Time will show, Im quite optimistic when it comes to gold. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

So if invested into an index fund and over long enough time periods you're talking about 100% free money? That sounds crazy to me but I've been hearing a lot about how the rich get richer.

Well, yes over time.

If you invest a certain amount and leave it, it should double within 7 years.

However, if you are adding to it monthly or even annually it might double every 4-5 years.

Of course if there is a huge correction in 1 of the years, it may take a little longer.  

But these are using the average percentage returns.

5 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Just checked equity market futures... Deep-red again! Is there any bottom? - Is it really about the uncertainty of what the Fed will do?

The supply chain shortages are still a problem for many businesses, they can’t get the stuff they need, or they have to pay a premium, and at the same time, energy prices have also gone up, adding to the cost of materials / production, and now we have a threat of war between Russia and Ukraine, the former supplying Europe with more than 40% of its natural gas supply, and the U.S. talking about sanctions they can feel.

War involving Russia and extra cold winter in Europe (like last year) are both things that can make energy prices go up even more.

Now add to the mix Fed which will increase the interest rate, estimated several increases over the next two years, only adding to operating costs (since many businesses have debt).

So a lot of factors, but really, this is just a correction. At least the companies I follow are not trading at a discount, or anywhere near it, which is also why so many are taking profit now, because companies are still relatively expensive compared to their past earnings, and everything points to lower earnings in 2022 and probably into 2023.

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The only thing propping up the USD is its status as a reserve currency. I suspect other nations are going to tire of financing US debt, which is now in the trillions, and the pandemic is not helping.

China and India are importers of gold, as well as being quite substantial miners of it within their borders. They are hoarding gold for a reason.

Don’t ignore the role of higher interest rates on both the US$ and gold.  Gold does well during inflation but does poorly when rates are riding/high

4 hours ago, chilli42 said:

Don’t ignore the role of higher interest rates on both the US$ and gold.  Gold does well during inflation but does poorly when rates are riding/high

Quite true. I'm going on past experience. I've lost money on shares and property investment. Made some as well. Over the past 40 years, I have yet to lose money on precious metals.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Can't they setup a limited company ?

Then the Company owns the land, not the individuals. And I seem to recall that it is illegal.

Edited by KannikaP

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Then the Company owns the land, not the individuals. And I seem to recall that it is illegal.

You own the land through the company. I'ts not illegal if its a genuine business though some were exploiting this loophole. I think the rule of thumb is that if you are not generateing income or paying taxes you may be investigated

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1