Just spoken to Thai General Insurance Association and they tell me that I cannot apply  for Insurance through them because I have a Non O Immigrant Visa.   I explained that I was leaving Thailand in March and would be returning at the end of April and required insurance for the Thailand Pass.   Made no difference to the answer.   The main insurers have a cut off date for age and I am way past that.  Seems thatTGIA will only insure the one month tourist,

Edited by Havenstreet1940
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, howerde said:

If you have a non 0, and not an o-a or o-x, then this thai company will insure you up to age 99. you can get 1 month cover with them, it is accepted by immigration for entry to Thailand  ie for Thai pass  https://covid19.tgia.org/

Sorry to disagree,but I have spoke to TGIA today and they say I cannot use them and 30 days is not long enough to cover my stay in THAILAND.   I wish it was otherwise

6 minutes ago, howerde said:

If you have a non 0, and not an o-a or o-x, then this thai company will insure you up to age 99. you can get 1 month cover with them, it is accepted by immigration for entry to Thailand   https://covid19.tgia.org/

That's the same organisation that the OP has contacted, and he has highlighted the potential problem faced by all of us wrinklies who would like to go to their home country and visit friends and family but are effectively uninsurable. The notice that comes up when you click on that website says it is not intended for foreign residents in Thailand, and whoever he spoke to has expressed a literal interpretation of that. Others have posted that we can apply as it is for travel from outside Thailand, and for the purposes of the Thai Pass we can get away with purchasing insurance for as little as 30 days with a throw-away onward ticket to show to immigration on arrival if necessary.

The problem is that there is scant evidence on these forums that more than a few have been able to do this in practice, and whether it is actually accepted by the authorities. I think that most of the advice comes from people who haven't actually done it htemselves.

3 minutes ago, Havenstreet1940 said:

Sorry to disagree,but I have spoke to TGIA today and they say I cannot use them and 30 days is not long enough to cover my stay in THAILAND.   I wish it was otherwise

What visa do you have, non o or extension of stay retirement/marriage or  O-A

Edited by howerde
missing text

11 minutes ago, Havenstreet1940 said:

Non O (Marriage).  Sheryl may have answered the problem,  I will get aproficient Thai speaker tocall  again.

maybe TGIA is recognising that you are currently in thailand.

maybe you need to be outside of thailand when doing your online application.

apologies for the "maybe's".

TIT..............  

34 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

Or don't call - just apply for the desired policy online. If they sell it to you (which, as Sheryl suggested, they almost certainly will), you're good to go and no need for discussion with anyone.

And there's no point asking TGIA whether a 30 day policy will suffice for your Thailand Pass, since they don't formulate entry policy or make those decisions - you're going to end up with the personal opinion of whoever answers the phone. Although the instructions said that the policy had to be valid for the length of stay in Thailand, MFA told Richard Barrow a couple of months ago that a 30 day policy is sufficient for anyone entering, and that seems to have been borne out by people's experiences.

Based on reported experiences, I would  agree with your comments. However, having lived here for the last 16 years I always attempt to mitigate against the unexpected.

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2022 at 12:34 PM, Sheryl said:

While your stay may be over 30 days, people have been able to get TP and allowed to enter with just 30 days cover.

So just for clarity if on a Non o retirement extension with 6 months remaining you can return to Thailand with 30 days of cover ?

1 hour ago, LoeiI said:

So just for clarity if on a Non o retirement extension with 6 months remaining you can return to Thailand with 30 days of cover ?

As I said, there is a lack of clarity re required duration. But people have reported being able to enter with just 30 day insurance despite re entry permits or visas that allowed much longer stays.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

As I said, there is a lack of clarity re required duration. But people have reported being able to enter with just 30 day insurance despite re entry permits or visas that allowed much longer stays.

Thanks for that I just remembered some posts a few weeks / months back saying you had to have insurance commensurate with the remaining length of stay on your visa / extension upon re entry

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

You are right about lack of clarity for sure. Not only from the Government. TGIA only offers 30 day coverage, but says quite clearly *The insurance must cover the whole duration of stay in Thailand.

This only adds to the confusion for long term visa/extension holders.

Edited by CRUNCHER