Full Medical Check-up Recommendations

stament

Good morning all,

I've read a few older threads on here and seen the recommendations but they are quite old (according to the search I did), hence I feel it's time for another thread. I'd like to hear some recent good and bad experiences (so I know which ones to avoid) from people along with the approximate cost please.

Previous threads have recommended Rajahev, HDMC and Siripat.  

I do have social security cover at Suan Dok but not sure what they are like or the waiting time for an appointment.......

I'm a 50 year old male (might be relevant to the type of checks/tests carried out).

Thanks in advance.

• Thanks 1

Bangkok Hospital gives a very good thorough physical.   Check their web site for prices.   Last time I looked, they had a table of tests performed for different levels, different prices.  They are the most expensive, though checking their web site should give you good information for comparisons with other hospitals, govt vs private.

Been going to Bumrungrad International Hospital since 2014 for annual health checkups for over 65. Cost is about 25,500 baht but my foreign health insurance company pays direct to the hospital about 87% of cost. So out of pocket is about 3,200 baht. Note that BIH runs promotions such as 2 for 1 price and birthday discounts. 

Prior to my checkup my health insurance company sends to the hospital a Guarantee of Benefits by email. That allows me to take the exam without preparing it.

17 hours ago, seedy said:

CM Ram Dec 2020

Health checkup - 10 page report includes blood, urine, EKG, chest X-Ray, and on and on

Medical Supplies - 80 THB

Lab - 4982 THB

Radiology - 368 THB

Special Diag - 320 THB

Total - 5750 THB

I would add to that list for a FULL check,  maybe an MRI  scan 10,000 baht.+

• Like 2

Lanna Hosp. does a similar check up to the one described by Seedy above. I don't remember the price exactly but it was around 5-6000 baht.

Stament: You said you get Soc. Sec. cover at Suan Dok. I also have Thai SS with my assigned hospital at Lanna but I am looking to find a better option. The initial input screening and outpatient process at Lanna is horrible. Crowded and completely inefficient. An absolute mess. Is it any better at Suan Dok (or any other hospital that takes SS patients)? Its so bad that I usually go to Bangkok Hosp. or CM Ram and pay for any initial appointments, x-rays or tests, or outpatient treatments even though I could get it for free at Lanna.    

• Like 1

Just been to THG (Chumphon) this week with the wife as they are doing a yearly Valentines Special. Full blood test, ECG, Chest X-Ray and Urine all for 1690THB and 2990THB for couples. Very quick and efficient.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2022 at 9:58 AM, lexilis said:

Lanna Hosp. does a similar check up to the one described by Seedy above. I don't remember the price exactly but it was around 5-6000 baht.

Stament: You said you get Soc. Sec. cover at Suan Dok. I also have Thai SS with my assigned hospital at Lanna but I am looking to find a better option. The initial input screening and outpatient process at Lanna is horrible. Crowded and completely inefficient. An absolute mess. Is it any better at Suan Dok (or any other hospital that takes SS patients)? Its so bad that I usually go to Bangkok Hosp. or CM Ram and pay for any initial appointments, x-rays or tests, or outpatient treatments even though I could get it for free at Lanna.    

Sorry for the delayed response.  I have only been there one before and found it quite difficult as I can only speak a little Thai and the people I spoke with didn't speak very good English. In fact Thai patients in the queue helped me by advising what I needed to do.  Like you I normally go elsewhere and pay.  Hence, unfortunately I'm not able to answer your question though I suspect Lanna would be better from a communication perspective.  Suan Dok was very busy when I was there.

On 1/29/2022 at 12:09 PM, Chilli100 said:

See attached brochure from Rajavej Hospital in Cnx. The brochure is from 2016 but all the prices are still the same as I just got my yearly check up done there last week. Went there at 9.00 am had all the blood work and tests done and finished by 10.30 am. Then went back at 1.30 pm to meet up with a doctor and go through a comprehesive report (which you get to take home). Been going there for the past 5 years and always fast and efficient service. The Rajavej check up program also includes a full ultrasound of your internal organs which CM Ram hospital used to charge extra for this. I get the full male check up program which costs 4,900 baht and is very good value for money.

Rajavej Check Up Program 2016.pdf 12.36 MB · 13 downloads   

How long does the whole process take approximately?  Some Thai staff told me it takes nearly all day!  I was hoping to get it all done within 2 hours at a private hospital, perhaps I am being way too optimistic LOL

On 2/10/2022 at 8:06 PM, stament said:

How long does the whole process take approximately?  Some Thai staff told me it takes nearly all day!  I was hoping to get it all done within 2 hours at a private hospital, perhaps I am being way too optimistic LOL

I did mine at CM Ram a couple years ago:

1) Come in at 0700

2) Finished by 1000

3) Came back at 1300 for the report and speak to the Doctor.

4) Of course CM Ram was 10,000 Baht(EKG, Full Blood-CBC, Lipid Panel etc, urinalysis, Chest X-Ray and even an Ultra Sound of the abdomen).

Next time I will probably go somewhere else. 

• Thanks 1

I really question if an annual full wellness test is good value? How many times do they find something asymptomatic yet a serious disease in the making? My guess rare…

now if you haven’t monitored your health in years or not know your glucose, cholesterol, blood pressure blood test levels etc and had a recent colonoscopy then you need to establish a baseline….

Do you really need an annual check if you have a good understanding of your health conditions, current medications and physical activity levels? 

weigh that vs early intervention to any symptoms…..I have found older guys tend to ignore or delay getting any symptoms checked out….targeting is more beneficial than “throw in the kitchen sink” evaluation….

Edited by cardinalblue
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/18/2022 at 10:50 PM, CMBob said:

Given many of those diseases exhibit no early warning signs, an annual checkup would seem reasonably wise in my opinion

This part I don't understand. I there is no early warning signs then what does an annual checkup find?

1 hour ago, IAMHERE said:

This part I don't understand. I there is no early warning signs then what does an annual checkup find?

"Early warning signs" surely relates here to immediately perceivable signs IMO, such as pain somewhere or a malfunction. Colon cancer for example does not make you feel bad immediately but if it does it is too late. Same for prostate cancer. While a PSA check is always helpful (especially overtime (each year)) a colonscopy should be done once with an age from about at least 50 (or earlier) on and then depending on the outcome (number and types of polyps, your family history) repeated in a cycle that may be much more than a year.

I can tell that from experience, because my father died from colon cancer and they needed to remove my whole prostate gland with robot assisted surgery DESPITE my yearly checkups. This does not make the test obsolete - on the contrary.

There are many markers in the blood that will be rarely routinely be checked. So from time to time I would invest in a full blood picture as well which goes beyond a yearly "package" and then checking only the more relevant ones specificially for you on a yearly basis. PSA anyway, but maybe specific liver markers because you drink maybe a lot, Ferritin etc. Your doctor should know what you need based on your medical history as well and after you had once a full blown blood test.

I wish you the best of health.

Edited by moogradod

1 minute ago, 2009 said:

I wonder where the cheapest place is for a colon check up? 

Me too. I have had already two of them in Thailand, but my hospital makes a difference between colonoscopy with only mild sedation or with full sedation. The difference is the price because they told me even only a sedation with Propofol is regarded as full anesthesia and this a whole world apart.

In Switzerland I have had several colonoskopies. All with Propofol and administered by the nurse - not an anesthesist. Propofol is easy to administer and easy and safe if done properly. But I do not know where I could get the same treatment at the approximate same price (Switzerland was by far cheaper).