Video: Carnage in downtown Bangkok - Merc Benz goes through red light - two cars overturn

webfact

26 minutes ago, NatureFilm said:

Don't think, the woman in the Honda was unhurt.

MB driver breaks far too late. Feels to me, he migth has been drunk, very slow reaction. Woman was confused, didn't know, what to do, maybe old or very unexperienced.

Not sure it was a slow reaction rather than the ‘usual’ reaction. 

Ignoring the fact that the mere went through a red light - he may not have seen the light at all, sometimes they’re positioned very poorly. 

So.. ignoring that part... Sometimes drivers do everything they can to avoid braking...  braking is a last resort. 

Thus, the merc didn’t see the red light, but saw the car creeping out, instead of braking the merc driver figured the car would execute the turn and the merc would slip in behind the Jazz.....   that didn’t happen !

Jeez, hold the press! Someone in a Mercedes felt they were entitled to run a red light, because they’re infinitely more important than everybody else. Yawn, happens tens (hundreds?) of thousands of times a day in Thailand, only this time it went spectacularly wrong.
Hope the driver of the Honda is okay. The driver of the Merc needs an attitude adjustment, I’d be happy to provide that for him/her. 

2 hours ago, tgw said:

inane headline.

"carnage" comes from the word "carnae", of latin meaning "meat". meaning was extended to "a large number of killed people".

so the word is totally inappropriate.

Etymologically quite correct but that excludes the fashion to either invent new words (like 'normalcy' when they mean 'normaility') or to misuse existing words in a poor attempt to exaggerate (e.g. 'iconic',  'unique' or 'awesome').  I think they could have put more effort in to the headline - perhaps Death Defying Mercedes Causes Awesome Massive Crash In Most Unique Iconic Bangkok Street. Sounds much better than 'Idiot Merc hits Honda in city crash' .... 

Haha... Classic!

BOTH idiots do not know how to drive a car. The white one thought it was a good idea to stop in the middle of the road, instead of making a quick turn. The Benz driver expected "a quick turn" but did not anticipate on a complete stop by the Honda driver and so the Benz did not make any attempt to slow down. (Obviously wanted to catch a green light, while it was already orange...)

I think she seen a guy on a bike cycling down, and perhaps saw the Merc, so stopped to allow both to past, but the M continued at speed, as stated wishing to zoom past the rear. Opps his mistake! Didn't read the road ahead, and make the right choices, slow down, observe and get the right actions.

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Might be wise to know road rules so then you do not have to ask why or go into a pointless demagogue  of what you think is right 

Did you mean a pointless "dialogue"? I don't see myself as a demagogue, I leave that to the POTUS & his ilk. 

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Where was the red light that he ran?  It sure wasn't at the accident site which doesn't appear to have any traffic lights apart from the ped crossing that was showing red for pedestrians.

Overhead traffic lights seen from underneath the white cars' rubble -POV

13 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Why is it when folks turn onto a street and driveway they creep so slowly.

I notice that also.

Just do it and make yourself less of a target.

This doesn't dismiss the total idiot driving through a redlight.

• Like 1

Lots of wrong ideas here. The Benz driver was 100% at fault. Driving too fast and blowing through a red 

Iight, and no apparent effort to brake. I will also vote for probable phone use as proximate cause.

That said, I agree the Honda could have avoided by completing her turn smartly. Driver education really is abysmal here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrfill said:

Etymologically quite correct but that excludes the fashion to either invent new words (like 'normalcy' when they mean 'normaility') or to misuse existing words in a poor attempt to exaggerate (e.g. 'iconic',  'unique' or 'awesome').  I think they could have put more effort in to the headline - perhaps Death Defying Mercedes Causes Awesome Massive Crash In Most Unique Iconic Bangkok Street. Sounds much better than 'Idiot Merc hits Honda in city crash' .... 

well, carnage is not an invented word. it's an existing word with a well-established definition that means something else entirely.

Yes you see so many drivers who seem to be afraid to make a turn at any speed above a crawl.  

Or the ones who go super slow as the drive through a space big enough to drive a huge truck as if they are worried their little car won't fit.

• Like 1

Another observation after watching it seems she froze which indicate she saw the Benz coming at high speed some say she slow down it appears she actually stopped and she was no where even close to entering into the driveway she had barely entered the other side of the medium?

The Benz not only ran the red light at high speed he assumed she was moving and like drivers here try to avoid the impact by going around the object instead of trying to stop he made a bad guess! If he simply with a Benz (ABS) apply the brakes give it a chance last second avoid if clear?

In commercial driving although it is human nature to try to avoid we are trained not to try to avoid but to first hit the breaks head straight due to the size and load of trucks avoiding usually causes greater damage?

your not kidding , creeping of even reversing , merc driver prob wrongly assumed he would get out the way but just hang around hoping nothing will happen , what will be will be is philosophy here 

9 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

The MB driver ran a red light end of ......................!!!!

No no no no no.  The pleb in the Honda didn't get out of the Hi-So Benz driver's way.  The cops will sort this out for the Benz driver for sure.

9 hours ago, Card said:

Definitely the MB vault by speeding through a red light. The white car hesitates because she does not know what the MB wants to do. She expects it to drive in front of her and so slows to let it through.

Yes. I didn't see any braking or steering/evasive action by the MB. In Thailand you're supposed to instinctively take evasive action to the left ( to avoid oncoming traffic) which would not have helped the Honda driver if she had continued her turn. Stopping to see what the lunatic travelling at high speed will do makes sense. We know what happened because we have the footage. Hindsight is 20 etc. The Honda driver didn't know if stupid MB driver would swerve, which he should have. So I'm arguing from the point in time when she stopped, not from now, when we know what ultimately happened. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Chulalongkorn University

When people say "downtown" Bangkok, they don't mean the "old city center" nor do they mean "the place where all the high paying jobs are in skyscrapers".

What they mean is the place close to Dragon Town, Golden Mermaid, a tiny city park Lumphini (compared to Central Park, NYC or Golden Gate Park,San Francisco) and Madame Tussauds.

You know, Tourist "attractions". ????

On 1/28/2022 at 7:08 AM, EVENKEEL said:

The MB is thinking the Honda will continue the turn and the MB will pass the ass of the Honda. 

It was a RED light. You can see a motor bike stopped at the lights, just before the crash.

17 hours ago, mattyc1957 said:

For goodness sake, why did the Honda driver go so slow then stop!! If you're crossing traffic, get across as quickly as possible.

The Honda was not crossing traffic per say, it would have had a green arrow to turn right, and the Merc drove straight through a red light at speed.

• Like 1

Seat belts and airbags might have had some ameliorating effect.  Hope all were compliant.    Oh dear!  Looks a right mess.  Seems the MB veered towards the well stationary Honda at speed with no sign of slowing or emergency braking..  Inclined to agree with possible/probable distraction in the M.B.