Video: Carnage in downtown Bangkok - Merc Benz goes through red light - two cars overturn

webfact

7 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Why is it when folks turn onto a street and driveway they creep so slowly.

Because if they drove any quicker they would be in serious danger of avoiding the accident, and that would never do. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, robblok said:

The MB went through a red light and is totally guilty the honda thought he could go and all of a sudden saw a speeding car going at her. The decision was wrong but clearly the MB is the main guilty party and should be held liable and lose his license or more. Going through red lights is something that should really be cracked down on. 

But your right that the honda could have gone faster but that does not excuse the MB.

You're right - my driving instructor taught me that hesitation kills more people than anything else. But these people who flout red lights and zebra xings should face serious sanctions, including jail time for injuries or death.

But they won't.

• Like 1

If one regularly drives on the highways here there are three constant culprits with lead feet on the gas pedal, Pick up trucks, Benz and BMWs. In the city, being cautious when crossing, entering or leaving a main road is just good driving safety. That Honda was in no way at fault and second guessing her motives for hesitancy is unfair.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Card said:

Definitely the MB vault by speeding through a red light. The white car hesitates because she does not know what the MB wants to do. She expects it to drive in front of her and so slows to let it through.

No she want to turn behind the red truck. And the motor bike hindered her. BTW I didn't see a turning indicator her or the truck. MB was at fault but her stopping in the middle of the road instead of making and completing her turn is beyond words.

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Sure the honda made a mistake not going through. 

The Honda did not make a mistake, it was in the right !

The MB driver went through a red light.

When the Honda driver realised the MB driver was not going to stop it slowed down to try to prevent a collision...

The MB driver took no evasive action, which might be construed that it didn't see the red light or the Honda driver until the impact.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:
8 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Why is it when folks turn onto a street and driveway they creep so slowly.

Because there might be an idiot in a Benz coming screaming through a red light?

They do it where there are no lights. 

Well it seems the Honda turning saw the Benz coming at speed and knew it wasn't going to stop.   She had 2 choices, stop and hope the Benz swerved around her or acclerate harder and hope she got out of the way.  I think she made the wrong choice but you never know for sure.

23 minutes ago, tgw said:

inane headline.

"carnage" comes from the word "carnae", of latin meaning "meat". meaning was extended to "a large number of killed people".

so the word is totally inappropriate.

Not if you want to gain a high number of readers. Who wants to read Benz and Honda Collide In Downtown Bangkok. I once called such headlines on this site clickbait and was banned from posting for a week. So, to avoid any misunderstanding in this land of free speech, I believe this was a simple misunderstanding of the English language. Could happen with anyone. I'm sure many of us have used the wrong word on occasion.

To get back on topic, I believe both drivers were at fault, the Benz for going through a red light and driving at an unsafe speed in a built-up area, and the Honda for stopping in its path instead of speeding up to get out of the other car's path. Both displayed poor driving skills, but we would expect nothing less in a country with such poor driver training. Strangely, the two go together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, robblok said:

The MB went through a red light and is totally guilty

The Merc may have gone through a red light before the accident but not at the accident site, that is an entrance to Chula, not a light-controlled junction.

There is a pedestrian crossing light there but that is showing red for those waiting to cross suggesting that it was probably on green for the traffic.

2 hours ago, Card said:

Definitely the MB vault by speeding through a red light. The white car hesitates because she does not know what the MB wants to do. She expects it to drive in front of her and so slows to let it through.

No matter what the MB was going to do, you sure as hell dont STOP in the middle of the freaking road!!! ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HarrySeaman said:

When I moved to Thailand in 2002 I lived off of Soi 71.  Shortly after moving there I was in a taxi going up 71st to Phetchaburi road on my way to Fortune Town mall.  At the corner we encountered a traffic accident.  Involved was a Mercedes-Benz, a Jaguar, and a big BMW.  The most expensive traffic collision I have ever seen.

Oh.

• Thanks 1

Maybe the Honda driver slowed for the motorbike or cyclist coming from the same direction as the Mercedes. 

The motorbike or cyclist also stopped, possibly expecting the Honda driver to continue the turn.

The Mercedes driver was I guess,  exceeding the speed limit and hit a stationary vehicle. 

The stationary vehicle, cannot take evasive action and therefore can't be at fault. 

• Thanks 1