Yellow house book requires long term visa

This morning I went to the Nonthaburi municipal offices to obtain a yellow house book (tabien bahn) for a condo I have bought.  I had all the documents if had been told were needed plus a few.  The woman at the desk looked at my passport and said she could not issue the house book as I was on a tourist visa (actually I am on a 60 day extension of a visa exempt stamp based on marriage) and needed to get a married to Thai or retirement visa (I di dnot point out these are extensions of stay rather than visas).

Does anyone know if this is correct?  Does the law say anything about the type of visa needed to obtain a yellow house book or is it at the discretion of the municipality?

In case the law says I shoul dbe able to obtain it, how can I complain and to whom?

Many thanks

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tonray said:

When I moved I to GF's house in Bang Yai, went to district office and was told long term visa irrelevant, had to be married. Informed my neighbor who is married and he went with wife a few days later and they made up a different excuse. Some municipalalities just don't want to accept foreigners or more correctly don't want to deal with the the paperwork.

I've had 3 yellow books, and not married at the time to the any of the blue book holders.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If having a blue book, why would you need a yellow book, if they would even issue one, as a bit redundant.  Maybe why they didn't, and something is lost in translation he didn't understand.

one reason to have yellow book is potentially avoid the land and property tax, can't put your name in blue book

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

one reason to have yellow book is potentially avoid the land and property tax, can't put your name in blue book

He owns, so can't avoid land & property tax, which is so minimal, why bother trying to avoid. 

Example of 'high' property tax, 2.5m baht house on 2 rai of land = 5 baht tax ... that was yearly tax ????

I understand 'empty / unused' land is at a higher rate, but just say you're farming, and you avoid the higher rate.  It's all a bit of a joke.

I can't see them issuing a yellow book, if having a blue book, and no reason not to have a blue book.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

He owns, so can't avoid land & property tax, which is so minimal, why bother trying to avoid. 

Example of 'high' property tax, 2.5m baht house on 2 rai of land = 5 baht tax ... that was yearly tax ????

I understand 'empty / unused' land is at a higher rate, but just say you're farming, and you avoid the higher rate.  It's all a bit of a joke.

I can't see them issuing a yellow book, if having a blue book, and no reason not to have a blue book.

one property only you can avoid it, you didn't know that? right now it's 90% discount, it will start going up year after year

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

A blue house book for a condo owned by foreigner does not have their name in and they cannot be registered in it. They get a yellow house tied to the blue house book as the owner of the condo that has their name in it.

Learn something new everyday, as strange as that is.  Does explain the quest for the yellow.

THANKS

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

A blue house book for a condo owned by foreigner does not have their name in and they cannot be registered in it. They get a yellow house tied to the blue house book as the owner of the condo that has their name in it.

So who's name is in the blue book?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So who's name is in the blue book?

Any Thais that live in the property would be listed in the blue book, any foreigners that live in a property (in theory) are listed in the properties yellow book.

Edited by Peterw42

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is not name in it unless the owner allows somebody to be the head of household to be in it.

That just confuses me even more.  Having a hard time wrapping my head around that, and don't think I'd be comfortable with that situation.

Type of visa aside, how would you get a yellow book, if no name in the blue book, as who would go to the office to authorize / allow you to be added to the blue book via yellow, since no name in the blue book.

How's that conversation go;

Like to be issued a yellow book ... OK, is the owner here ... yea that's me .... say what, can I see your blue book ... here ....  no name, you're messing with me right.

Is that a new kind of Catch 22-3-4 or what ????

So except for bill of sale, and whatever paperwork in the condo's owner/management/builder's office, there isn't much of a record that you actually own anything or even reside there.  Kind of leaves things open for a bit of scamming.  Blue book & yellow book is almost as important here as a Gov't ID.

How would you get a 'letter of residence' from Imm if not able to produce something.  Not sure writing yourself a lease, without a blue book, or a no name blue book is going to work ... ????  Yea, it's mine, trust me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know what the law says but here is what Pattaya City Hall wants to issue a yellow house book, as shown in the photo below. That list is directly from Pattaya City Hall. As you may have guessed, the list is not complete so see the thread mentioned below.

You have to go to the same municipality that issued the blue book to get the yellow book. Various municipalities have different requirements.

Also see here:

PattayaYellowBook.jpg

Edited by Banana7

I also bought a condo around 4 years ago in Bangkok and only have a blue book with no name in it.  Is there any requirement to go to the trouble of obtaining a yellow book anyway as it seems I can just fill in a TM30 to report to immigration that I am living at the condo?  Still wondering whether to try and get the illusive yellow book or give it a miss.  Thanks. 

16 minutes ago, HKexpat said:

I also bought a condo around 4 years ago in Bangkok and only have a blue book with no name in it.  Is there any requirement to go to the trouble of obtaining a yellow book anyway as it seems I can just fill in a TM30 to report to immigration that I am living at the condo?  Still wondering whether to try and get the illusive yellow book or give it a miss.  Thanks. 

Its an ongoing discussion as to the usefulness of yellow book/pink ID.

Personally I have found it very useful, others report different.

To get the full benefit, you need to move things like bank accounts, license etc over to yellow/pink (name in Thai).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Banana7 said:

I don't know what the law says but here is what Pattaya City Hall wants to issue a yellow house book, as shown in the photo below. That list is directly from Pattaya City Hall. As you may have guessed, the list is not complete so see the thread mentioned below.

That list is for those that are wanting a yellow house book tied to a blue house book that is not one for a condo they own. Most people asking for them are married to a Thai and want one for the house owned by the spouse.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That list is for those that are wanting a yellow house book tied to a blue house book that is not one for a condo they own. Most people asking for them are married to a Thai and want one for the house owned by the spouse.

What's the requirements for Pattaya City Hall for a condo yellow book? BTW they only have one list