Alcohol fueled murder again! Engineer shot and stabbed by drunk for "asking for his wife's phone number"

webfact

2pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Alcohol was blamed yet again as a contributing factor in the horrific and senseless murder of a Koh Samui engineer who had just returned home to Hat Yai in the south of Thailand. 

Tanked up on countless beers an assailant ruthlessly shot Krittana, 42, in the shoulder then took out a knife and stabbed him repeatedly in the chest before feeling the Khuan Lang area on a motorcycle. 

Cops and forensics at the scene found the victim dressed in a red and white sports top and khaki shorts. Locals soon told them that the assailant was 41 year old Orachai who lived 100 meters away.

He soon returned home on his motorcycle and was arested after neighbors yelled to police.

He was very drunk and admitted consuming many beers. A 9 mm gun and a short knife were taken into evidence, reported Thai Rath.

He said that the dead man had asked his wife for her phone number. He added that he always carried his gun with him. 

The victim had just come home from his job and was retrieving his Thai ID.

Neighbors said that he had nothing to do with the assailant and they had never had a problem before.

Witnesses saw the assailant confront the victim then shoot and stab him.

Police took Orachai into custody as investigations continue. 

Long Stay Visa Health Insurance Plans

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-01-29

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Alcohol, the not so innocent drug.

Yes alcohol and guns a great combination. Guns make it easier to kill, alcohol removes inhibitions. 

That is scarey.

it's not the alcohol that did the killing .... it was the gun & knife.   I've heard of plenty of drug crazed killers too,  that's for sure.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, steven100 said:

it's not the alcohol that did the killing .... it was the gun & knife. 

Yes of course but without the gun and the knife it would have been more difficult.

Some people who carry a gun are not going to walk away from trouble,if you know what i mean.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

Its just that you seem to think that drugs make someone bad

yes ..... you are somewhat correct,  as I was always taught from a kid that drugs are wrong and that drug pushers, addicts and general drug takers should be avoided.  As I've mentioned before,  they were generally frowned upon in society. 

And I have to say i'm glad for my elders and adults that taught me that way,   everyone knows right from wrong and taking drugs is wrong,  having a drink of beer is not.  

but each to his own .....   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mancub said:

I believe much stems for an individual's character and upbringing. Alcohol certainly accentuates natural attributes and tendencies and loosens inhibitions. Hence someone who possesses a confrontational or aggressive nature is likely to display a more violent side when drunk.

We most certainly engaged in some crazy, foolhardy ( sometimes anti-social) stunts in our youthful drunken states, but never physically hurt anyone, nor destroyed property etc . This was due to an overriding sense of  morality taught from an early age.

I think your right, i would never ever get agressive. Its rare for me to get violent or physical. So far just got in 1 or 2 fights during my whole life. from 16 upwards.

Its like this if your an <deleted> without alcohol / drugs then your a bigger <deleted> with them. Some people can hide that they are an <deleted> but the alcohol / drugs remove inhibitions and it comes out then.

Most nice people wont get bad (just stupid / brave / whatever) when they do drugs take alcohol. 

Most problems are from using your preferred drug and then operating a vehicle (should be punished really harsh)

4 hours ago, jvs said:

Yes of course but without the gun and the knife it would have been more difficult.

Some people who carry a gun are not going to walk away from trouble,if you know what i mean.

Or he could have just given him he's wife's phone number. Sorry guys, that's why I'm not married anymore. 

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

I thought holding guns is illegal for ordinary Thai? Only the police and military are allowed to hold guns.

AFAIK it is legal to own a gun in Thailand, but.....

https://www.dw.com/en/a-look-at-thailands-fervent-gun-culture/a-19060721

wning a firearm in the Southeast Asian country has been legal since 1947. However, only licensed gun owners may lawfully acquire, possess or transfer a firearm or ammunition. And the Act Controlling Firearms, Ammunition, Explosives, Fireworks and Imitation of Firearms only allows for people to obtain licenses to own guns for purposes of self-defense, protection of property, sports or hunting. Applicants must be at least 20 years old and pass background checks which consider the applicants' personal conduct, living conditions as well as their income and criminal records.

Licenses, which cost 1,000 Baht ($28) per person, are also needed for owning firearms as keepsakes. As for the actual price of a gun, experts say that it costs about $600 to purchase a firearm. "That's a hefty, but not an insurmountable sum for the average Thai," John J. Brandon, the senior director of The Asia Foundation's Regional Cooperation programs, told DW.

There is a lot more on the website.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

AFAIK it is legal to own a gun in Thailand, but.....

https://www.dw.com/en/a-look-at-thailands-fervent-gun-culture/a-19060721

wning a firearm in the Southeast Asian country has been legal since 1947. However, only licensed gun owners may lawfully acquire, possess or transfer a firearm or ammunition. And the Act Controlling Firearms, Ammunition, Explosives, Fireworks and Imitation of Firearms only allows for people to obtain licenses to own guns for purposes of self-defense, protection of property, sports or hunting. Applicants must be at least 20 years old and pass background checks which consider the applicants' personal conduct, living conditions as well as their income and criminal records.

Licenses, which cost 1,000 Baht ($28) per person, are also needed for owning firearms as keepsakes. As for the actual price of a gun, experts say that it costs about $600 to purchase a firearm. "That's a hefty, but not an insurmountable sum for the average Thai," John J. Brandon, the senior director of The Asia Foundation's Regional Cooperation programs, told DW.

There is a lot more on the website.

And yet ...

... "About one in ten people in Thailand legally own a gun. There are more than six million registered guns in a country with a population of 66.7 million."

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Mate, guns and knives are inanimate object. I’ve never seen a gun or a knife on its own out and about killing people!

The guy did the killing and the alcohol certainly didn’t help and that’s that.

hang on .....  on the farm I had a gun and a pocket knife for 10 yrs and had beers with my uncle but we didn't go out and kill anyone.

• Like 1

There is always the Thai face, then there is the drunken Thai face, with a gun and knife.

Then another man is involved, and that is why we have this sad news story. Buts lets all

blame the alcohol. When Thailand people try to talk to me about their Thai customs, I always

ask about the Thai face, then we do not talk much after that.  TIT.

• Like 1

I get laughed at when i say alcohol is a drug, yet governments and scientists classify it as a drug. Also, the link between alcohol and violence is clearly established. I am not against alcohol at all, nor am i against other drugs. What I am against is the misinformation on this forum about alcohol not being a drug or that it is harmless. Harm based its worse than cannabis.

IMHO everyone should be free to do the drugs they want, as long as they don't bother / harm others and don't operate vehicles. Just trying to create a bit more awareness that there is no difference between alcohol and other drugs. So the moral view of drugs are bad alcohol is good is misguided.  Research backs everything up. Yet the alcohol users on this forum never seem to acknowledge stuff but come with anecdotal evidence. 

Just because something is socially accepted does not make it harmless, nor does it make one drug user superior over another drug user. The most superior drug user IMHO is the one that can control their intake and does not bother others or endanger them. 

Drugs and alcohol are here to stay, and i think that is a good thing, its a nice exhaust for many people and should not be looked down upon by anyone. Overuse and abuse of a drug is an other thing (but as long as overuse does not damage others i see it as a free choice. 

I have nothing against people who drink themselves until they can't walk anymore and then take a taxi home or get driven home or whatever. Their choice, personally i used my fair share of drugs as a Dutch guy. Of all of them i preferred cannabis and would have used it if it were legal and did not mess too much with my diet. I just don't like the tast of alcohol but don't really care if someone drinks or not. But the hang em high brigade that comes out when someone high does something seems to be awfully silent about alcohol and even comes up with all kinds of excuses about alcohol when it gets in the news.

Be a bit more fair in how you judge things, and don't think your superior to someone who vapes some cannabis (legally you are).  And just accept your a drug user just like them but its just that your drug is legal and has social acceptance. 

• Alcohol is among the most used drugs, plays a large role in many societies and cultures around the world,1 and greatly impacts public health.2,3 More people over age 12 in the United States have used alcohol in the past year than any other drug or tobacco product, and alcohol use disorder is the most common type of substance use disorder in the United States.4

https://nida.nih.gov/drug-topics/alcohol

Alcohol and violence 

Of the 11.1 million victims of violent crime each year, almost one in four, or 2.7 million, report that the offender had been drinking alcohol prior to committing the crime (Greenfeld 1998). 

Alcohol-related violence is the result of complex interactions between individual and environmental factors that either promote or inhibit violence. Findings from numerous studies implicate several variables—including personality factors, individual expectancies, situational elements, and sociocultural influences—that may interact with alcohol’s pharmacologic effects. What is not clear is whether and under what circumstances these interactions may combine to lead to violent episodes. It is also not known what interventions might prevent or reduce the likelihood of alcohol-related violence

https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/10report/chap01c.pdf

• Like 1