Zebra crossings: More flashing lights and push-button devices in the offing after Bangkok accident

webfact

3pm1.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

Officialdom in the Thai capital Bangkok continued to scurry in the wake of the fatal accident involving opthalmologist "Dr Kratai" a couple of weeks ago.

The doctor was killed by a cop on a Ducati speeding outside a hospital in the Phayathai area. She was crossing a "zebra crossing".

BMA official Chatree Wattanakhejorn told Siam Rath that 896 sets of flashing lights and 240 push-button devices - aimed to actually stop advancing traffic - had already been installed.

And more were in the offing this year - 50 flashing lights and 100 push-button stops were to be installed in 2022. 

In addition there would be more CCTV and liaison with the police across all of the Thai capital's districts. 

Long Stay Visa Health Insurance Plans

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-02-02

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, actonion said:

Good news installing  Lights and buttons,  but  once  i push the button, and the red light shows, how do i stop the  drivers from running a red light ?.... 

Teach them, , Prosecute them  hard,   before you waste money  installing  lights and  buttons

Maybe this is what they need?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF6fwCGzVsg

7 hours ago, webfact said:

BMA official Chatree Wattanakhejorn told Siam Rath that 896 sets of flashing lights and 240 push-button devices - aimed to actually stop advancing traffic - had already been installed.

Lights... give me a break... lights mean sod-all.

They use barriers at levels crossings, even those are not enough to stop idiots.

• Like 1

Flashing lights, and push button devices won’t stop them.  They even go through red lights. 
I do have a suggestion though.  Install tire shredders that pop up out of the ground at crosswalks.  They activate when the button is pushed.  And also activate when the light turns red. Then after either the lights stop flashing or turn green.  They fold back into the ground.  It would be quite entertaining to watch how many just drive over them and get their tires punctured. 

• Haha 1

Its not a bad idea....  in a nation with civilised behaviour on the roads at least. 

Actually, a nation with civilised behaviour on the roads does not need this much.

Will ‘light controlled’ pedestrian crossings make a difference in Thailand...   Did they in Pattaya ?

The issue remains with enforcement and education to improve driving culture. 

The risks is the generating a false sense of security in pedestrians. 

But...  something is better than nothing and it shows that pedestrian safety is getting the right attention. 

Now, if only the same efforts could be spent on the correct levels of education, licensing and policing of Thailands road users then some inroads into limiting Thailands horrific road fatality, accident and injuries may be realised... 

Sadly....  I suspect to great fanfare we will see the installation load of these lights at crossings, a few will get quite wealthy (or wealthier) from the work carried out... we will see news articles highlighting how these crossings work after a handful of drivers are fined 200 Baht for not stopping... then all will be back to normal....  Until the next high-profile death at a crossroads when it will be discovered that ’someone turned off the lights’... 

Wash, rinse, repeat.... 

9 hours ago, Henryford said:

Just come to Pattaya. The Council spent $ millions on flashing lights, and EVERYONE ignores them.

Also they don't maintain them. When I was there the crossing lights (meant to go red when the button is pressed) outside my hotel on 2nd road were damaged not working , apparently this had been for some time, still not repaired when I left 1 month later

4 hours ago, RobU said:

Also they don't maintain them. When I was there the crossing lights (meant to go red when the button is pressed) outside my hotel on 2nd road were damaged not working , apparently this had been for some time, still not repaired when I left 1 month later

There is no translation for 'maintenance' in Thai language it would seem ????

2 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

There is no translation for 'maintenance' in Thai language it would seem ????

It's a dirty Farang word, everything must be new. New Projects rule OK????? Once the project is finished it is forgotten. The city wouldn't have enough money for the new big vanity projects if it actually spent money on maintaining its structure. The lack of maintenance of the very expensive high profile camera project is a case in point, I understand that 50% of them don't work anymore