"Drunk" motorcyclist drives into ten meter manhole on Viphavadee Rangist inbound to Bangkok

webfact

9pm.jpg

Thai PBS reported on an incident at roadworks on Viphavadee Rangsit Road inbound outside Kaset university, Chatuchak, late last night.

A motorcyclist and his bike had ended up in an underground cable manhole. The man - with head injuries was alive and talking and after his extrication was taken to hospital.

A worker at the scene said there were plenty of lights to warn him. Workers had seen him and shouted to watch out but he continued and drove down the ten meter deep hole. 

He was coherent but appeared to be drunk, it was noted.

Electrical work is going on in the area starting at 10 pm at night. During the day the hole is covered up by a steel plate.

Long Stay Visa Health Insurance Plans

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-02-02

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

• Haha 1

He might NOT have been drunk, and his inability to communicate could be due to concussion from the crash. How did anyone there have time to have a conversation with him to assess how sober or drunk he was.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending him or claiming he wasn't drunk... but it's highlighted in the headline. And that was NOT highlighted in the headline for the 22 year old Land Rover driver at 1.30am who killed an innocent road worker.

Let's not also forget that Thai roads are lit up with multiple warnings for things which need nothing.... as well as places such as holes that have little or no warning.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2long said:

He might NOT have been drunk, and his inability to communicate could be due to concussion from the crash. How did anyone there have time to have a conversation with him to assess how sober or drunk he was.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending him or claiming he wasn't drunk... but it's highlighted in the headline. And that was NOT highlighted in the headline for the 22 year old Land Rover driver at 1.30am who killed an innocent road worker.

Let's not also forget that Thai roads are lit up with multiple warnings for things which need nothing.... as well as places such as holes that have little or no warning.

Maybe he stank of it like many drunk drivers do. Ya' don't need to be a toxicologist to smell alcohol on a person breathe.

18 hours ago, 2long said:

Anything is possible and we can only comment based on what information we are given.

Late at night (after 10pm). The workers shouted to him to warn him. Huge hole. Well lit. 

I'll go with the "he was drunk" narrative.