Tourist police and good Samaritan Thai to the rescue after thief steals 4,900 Euros from Greek's "unlocked" car in Phuket

webfact

3caafec87ee07f07d0da3a31004ef88ef24d1afa6b0e6f6b638a29473ec062c4.jpg

Picture: Sim Rath

Thai media was reporting every angle after a Greek man lost 4,900 Euros that was stolen from his car parked at a condominium in Phuket late last week.

Siam Rath reported that it happened at the Kata Ocean View Condominium Phase 3 and that the Nissan was unlocked. 

The money is worth about 183,000 baht at today's rate, notes ASEAN NOW. Thai media rounded it up to 200K.

1pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath showed a windshield appeal in Thai for the return of the money. It said:

"To the person who took our money. I live here with my family and offspring. We're in hardship. If you took our money please bring it back. No questions asked - we'll give you 500 Euros". Two phone numbers were left.

Tourist police spokesman Pol Maj-Gen Apichart Suribunya said that the matter had come to the attention of chief Pol Lt-Gen Sukhun Phromayon who ordered his sub-ordinates to liaise with Karon police and the victim named as Alexandros Alexiadis and help solve the crime.

They were also working with the Greek embassy.

1pm3.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

The Greek's family were due to fly back to Greece yesterday but he was staying on in Thailand in Phuket to monitor developments.

Naew Na reported that the victim was 35 and said that Jaruwee Luangkhon who runs the Knights Border page went to see the victim with a 51,000 baht donation from a person who wished to remain anonymous. 

Health insurance plans that meet the long stay visa requirements

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-02-03

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

sorry, but anyone explain to me why the money missing was definitely there in the first place and this is not a scam ? Story seems lacking

But, what? Do you perhaps have a Greek far of relative, and wish to make this mash-brain look smarter?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Hello! He says: "To the person who took our money. I live here with my family and offspring. We're in hardship. If you took our money please bring it back. No questions asked - we'll give you 500 Euros". Two phone numbers were left.

So, my questions are:

1. Why did you leave so much cash in your car? Who does that?

2. Why would you leave your car unlocked, if you left all that cash, and you are in hardship?

3. Are you nuts? Or just absent minded?

You are extremely lucky an honest person found your cash. Will you now exercise more caution with your hard earned money?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

No sympathy from me.

The guys a dick for leaving the money in an unlocked car in the first place.

certainly not a dick.

he might be negligent, forgetful, etc. but not a dick.

only in case of course, if there was money in the car in the first place.

Edited by tgw

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

I once ( or twice) forgot my wife in an unlocked car and came back much much later only to find her still there... Thieves it seems, have good taste now days...

I had a terrible whining noise in my car, the wife got out to check under the hood, the noise disappeared and so did I. ????  

26 minutes ago, shackleton said:

If true only has himself to blame leaving that amount of money in a car

Luckily he has had some generous person  provide him and his family with some funds to continue their holiday 

The family were at the end of their holiday, and according to Thiarath full story, The wife and kids have gone home, but he will stay another month to check progress in the case.

Ah poor bloke alone in Phuket no wife and kids. LMAO. ????

8 hours ago, Jerno said:

The story is too stupid to be true, or the Greek is the biggest moron idiot in Thailand,  and that's saying a lot given who's in Gov't. 

This is just part of the story. Full story published last week. That's the only reason the police have got involved as they did not want to know before it hit Facebook ect. It's all to do with hotel not having a safe and he didn't trust leaving it in the room. CCV also been deleted