Norwegian expat killed in collision of two pick-ups in NE Thailand - wife injured

webfact

On 2/4/2022 at 7:27 AM, Gecko123 said:

From the position of the Mazda and the debris field, it appears it was the Mazda which crossed the center line.

I would agree but none of us really knows what happened. However, from the photo, the Mazda is on the wrong side of the yellow line.  Then you have to consider that whilst the entire front of the Mazda is damaged, the heaviest damage is on its offside.  The Ford is also mainly damaged on the offside - indicating that both vehicles hit each other's offside front corner. It does not appear to have been a 100% head on collision. In that case, it would be fair to believe that the Mazda was even further over the yellow line at the time of impact as it would have been pushed back towards its own lane.  I note also that the yellow line is solid, I believe that means it should not be crossed by vehicles to the left of it - not 100% on that.  The road looks to have 2 lanes in the direction the Ford was travelling and 1 lane on the Mazda's side.

I would not be at all surprised to learn that there was a third vehicle involved, one that the Mazda was overtaking - that might explain why it was over the yellow line. Being hit where it was - the main impact being to the O/S A pillar (hinge pillar) and inner flitch panel - the angle of the impact suggests that the Mazda may have been trying to avoid the collision by steering back into its own lane. If you study slow motion videos of crashes, they often show that vehicles sometimes travel many feet following an impact. In the photo the Mazda appears to be straight on in the carriageway but the main impact damage indicates that it was far from straight on at the point of impact. A side on photo showing how far back the Mazda's O/S front wheel has been pushed back would clarify things a lot. It doesn't appear too far back but its not really clear.

However, its all just speculation without full details.  One thing for sure, its a crash that could easily have been avoided.

(Ex garage owner/mechanic/panel beater/painter who spent many years recovering vehicles from accident scenes)

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 9:00 AM, alextrat1966 said:

No way! I don’t believe you…. You actually don’t think that the 300,000 THB second hand old Jap car isn’t the absolute best and the one and only option when buying a car in Thailand? 

Wow! Am I dreaming? This is a unique moment!! ????????

Now, in all seriousness. 

Get a grasp, my post isn’t about what I can or can’t afford, and neither is it to mock those who can only afford a Toyota. 

My post is to mock those who bash everyone who doesn’t buy what they think is the only appropriate thing to drive in Thailand (5 year old, cheap jap car). And so they will accuse you of many weird things for the mere fact of buying something they don’t recommend. Check the “Motoring Forum” for many such examples of this occurrence. 

You either do not understand how inappropriate your comment was, or you have an astonishing lack of empathy for those killed in this tragic incident, and also for anyone in Thailand that cannot afford a luxury car.

I can explain to you how crass and disrespectful your comment was, but unfortunately, I cannot understand it for you.

¯\_()_/¯

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

You either do not understand how inappropriate your comment was, or you have an astonishing lack of empathy for those killed in this tragic incident, and also for anyone in Thailand that cannot afford a luxury car.

I can explain to you how crass and disrespectful your comment was, but unfortunately, I cannot understand it for you.

¯\_()_/¯

Explain again, then.

On 2/4/2022 at 2:44 PM, Thaijack2014 said:

This accident is another confirmation in my believe that the majority of those Pick-up drivers are madmen. Last week on my bicycle I was almost hit by a passing pick-up. Again and again, over and over, it is most of the time pick-up drivers who seem to think that they can do with their vehicle as they seem fit. Driving 100 on a street where only 60 is allowed and pushing the other if he's driving between 80 and 90, already exceeding the maximum speed limit.

I'm far from jealous and even for free I would not want to have those monster cars. I have a normal car and think I drive normal. At least I don't push people aside and my car doesn't occupy the two sides of a road. 

Those pick-up drivers think that I have to get off the road, because they are the kings of the road. They sit high and dry, nothing can hurt them....

Yes it is tragic, this accident, but not surprising... 

They keep wanting to race my Benz. My car is built for doing 230kph on das autobahn, theirs is build for putting sacks of rice in the back.

Yet they still try. Bless.

On 2/4/2022 at 5:56 PM, Montnoveau said:

To survive a head-on impact you need a 'soft' energy-absorbing vehicle. Frame-built vehicles are just too stiff in such collisions unless you hit a Honda Jazz. Airbags or seat belts does not help. It is not the speed that kills, it is the sudden stop. Even truer with frame built vehicles.

Biggest killers are high fronted vehicles . Low fronted vehicles then a human has a chance . 

Speed kills 

You are speaking for the occupant only 

On 2/6/2022 at 9:51 AM, Eloquent pilgrim said:

and also for anyone in Thailand that cannot afford a luxury car.

It should be noted that the government is responsible for the luxury taxes that prohibit many Thais from affording quality, safe vehicles, and those taxes act as a measure to ensure Thais keep buying locally built agricultural utility vehicles with racing stripes and bottom of the range Japanese sedans that often fare much worse in an accident due to a lack of safety equipment.

• Thanks 1