Skin or muscle? The choice facing COVID booster recipients in Thailand

webfact

On 2/8/2022 at 5:28 PM, Jimjim1 said:

From what I have read Governments are Not telling us to a large degree that the unvaxed are spreading it, or that the vaccinated can spread it.

What they are saying is that getting vaccinated dramatically reduces the risk should one get infected of hospitalisation and death and also infecting others, so surely getting vaccinated is beneficial to all of us.

And is it not true that the "dramatic risk reduction" of hospitalization or death or infecting others is actually not as great as the level of fear generated to attain compliance has been promoted to be?

For sure the  social responsibility  factor of limiting the cross infection to  others is supposedly a major factor in modern( generally westernized) social considerations despite that is also often contradictory in  subserviance to  over riding  religious conviction ?

In actual fact there has been great effort to get people to accept vaccinations. Problematic  is the global distribution of vaccines . Not  dissimilar in reality to the distribution of wealth !

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yup, that's the current medical thinking.

The COVID vaccines do not cause shingles in people who previously haven't had chicken pox or shingles. However, the scientists and doctors have been studying whether the vaccines or COVID itself, rarely, can cause the shingles virus to re-emerge in those who already have it.

COVID-19 vaccines don't cause shingles, but may lead to flare-ups, experts say

"TORONTO -- While some are suggesting on social media that shingles may be a side effect of the COVID-19 vaccine, experts say there is no evidence to suggest that the vaccines cause shingles.

However, studies suggest COVID-19 infection or vaccination against the disease may "reactivate" the virus if a person already has had shingles or chickenpox."

Apparently, though, there's also a school of thought that the post vaccine shingles cases may instead be just a coincidence that would have occurred anyway.

"Dr. William Schaffner, an infectious disease expert at Vanderbilt University and a spokesperson for the Infectious Diseases Society of America, previously told The Associated Press that reports of shingles after being vaccinated are a coincidence.

"We have been emphasizing the vaccination of older adults. That's the very population in which shingles is the most common, and so you would expect some cases of shingles to occur after vaccination... because it's going to occur anyway," Schaffner said."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccines-don-t-cause-shingles-but-may-lead-to-flare-ups-experts-say-1.5516488

Thanks, the fact that shingles virus can be dormant and activated by weakening of the body due to other conditions is actually very old knowledge, I was taught this in the 1970's as part of my nurse training. The weakening due to vaccination side effects is just another cause to add to a very long list of reasons.

On 2/8/2022 at 1:49 PM, PEE TEE said:

A report saying that another side effect in the over 50s from the booster shot is Shingles i got shingles a week after mine and two more friends also got it. I was lucky and only had mild case right side on my back lasted 2 weeks . has anyone else heard this?  

Yep.

On 2/9/2022 at 8:12 AM, rbkk said:

"11 million Thais are expected to vacation overseas this year" (2019) Pre Covid-19.

https://thaiembdc.org/2019/04/15/thais-becoming-outbound-tourists-in-greater-numbers/

Only 14 million of UK citizens take holidays abroad, UK has a wealthier population and a similar size population. I would have expected much more than Thailand

34 minutes ago, RobU said:

Only 14 million of UK citizens take holidays abroad, UK has a wealthier population and a similar size population. I would have expected much more than Thailand

The UK being an island makes it time consuming and expensive to travel (Once a year). In Thailand, hoping across the border is simple with your Asean neighbours.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rbkk said:

The UK being an island makes it time consuming and expensive to travel (Once a year). In Thailand, hoping across the border is simple with your Asean neighbours.

Point taken. It seems more like English people travelling to Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland but with border checks

On 2/10/2022 at 9:47 PM, RobU said:

Thanks, the fact that shingles virus can be dormant and activated by weakening of the body due to other conditions is actually very old knowledge, I was taught this in the 1970's as part of my nurse training. The weakening due to vaccination side effects is just another cause to add to a very long list of reasons.

Except there's no evidence that vaccinations of any kind (including Covid vaccines) weaken your immune system - in fact they do the opposite.

“COVID-19 vaccines do not weaken your immune system’s ability to respond to other infections so getting your jab will not make you more susceptible to [other diseases],” said Dr Doug Brown, chief executive of the British Society for Immunology.

A spokesperson for the University of Oxford COVID-19 Vaccine Team said: “There is no truth at all that vaccines weaken the immune system [...] This suggestion goes against every scientific principle of vaccination.

Fact Check-COVID-19 vaccines do not weaken people’s immune systems

It's just as likely that, as mentioned in that earlier article, "the post vaccine shingles cases may instead be just a coincidence that would have occurred anyway."

5 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Except there's no evidence that vaccinations of any kind (including Covid vaccines) weaken your immune system - in fact they do the opposite.

Yes there is evidence the body is weaker due to short term side effects and EVENTUALLY after 2 weeks the body immune system is reinforced AGAINST COVID specifically Nothing was mentioned in my post about the immune system being weakened what I said was you are more susceptible to eruptions of Shingles if you are run down or have an infection which causes your body to weaken. The vaccination simulates an infection and stimulates the body to produce antibodies however whilst it is manufacturing those antibodies it is overworked and the OPPORTUNISTIC shingles virus which already exists as a commensal on the skin takes hold. Basic Virology 101 still taught today. The professor is correct the Immune system is not suppressed it is overworked during the period of mass production of antibodies Shingles is a very specific opportunistic virus known for taking advantage of such periods

On 2/8/2022 at 10:42 AM, rbkk said:

Most importantly, surely, is which of the options (All?) is recognized internationally for travel and will be shown and accepted overseas on the Intervac Vaccine Certificate issued by the Thailand Dept. Health.

Only important to those who want to travel. 

25 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

How long is the vaccines Sino then Astraz effective for after the second one?

Been 4 months since my second and have no inclination to get Moderna booster, even though I have paid for it. 

Levels start to drop considerably after 3 months.

Get the booster.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 3:09 PM, robblok said:

You misunderstood me, like i misunderstood you. Many say natural infection was the best but even that does not protect you. So if natural infection does not protect you vaccines are not great either.  So looks like covid is here to stay. Only good thing is that it has become omicron. But its a bit scary as many get long covid. i don't worry about getting covid, just about long covid. 

Natural infection followed by vaccination is really good. Antibodies from natural infection wear off faster than those from vaccination, but it may vary according to the severity of infection.