30 day exempt to Non-Imm 'O' retirement?

Sorry I know this has been asked many times before, but when flying in on 30 day visa exemption, can you then change this to a non-imm 'O' for retirement? I understand you need to show funds in a Thai bank account, normally this has to be seasoned for 2 months. But if flying in on a 30 day exempt, how does one show this? And apply for the visa? Thanks 

You can do visa exempt 30 days (with one-time option to extend another 30 days) and then apply for non-imm O for 90 days which needs 800k in Thai bank.

Once 800k is in bank for 2 months you can apply for 12 month extension based on retirement.

What I don't know is how people apply for a bank account now. I have one from years ago which was based on showing my Condo Chanote. I went in to my bank to open another account to deposit and leave the 800k in and they said can't do without showing a long term visa.

So you need a bank account to get a long term visa but you need a long term visa to get a bank account. Endless loop?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

OP, as already outlined.

Enter visa exempt. 30day stamp.

Apply for non O retirement. 800k in Thai bank in your name only on day of application.

Must be shown to have come from overseas.

That visa gives a 90 day permission of stay.

In the last month apply for 12 month extension with the 800k having been in the bank for 2 months.

If you do not have bank account it's best to use an agent to assist opening an account. Easy and not expensive.

You may wish to obtain an extension (30 days) to your visa exempt entry if time becomes an issue. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

I see. So do you mean for the first 90days renewal, you only need to show the 800k in the bank (which came from overseas), and that it doesn't have to have been in there for 2 months already. Because obviously wouldn't have been in Thailand long enough to open the account and season it with full 2 months. 

But for the 1 year extension, then yes can show the 800k has been in the bank for 2months already. 

From what I've read, depending on the bank and branch you visit, its easier at some than others to open an account (even if you don't have any type of visa). All you needs is residence certificate (which you'll have to get from immigration first). I've read that Bangkok Bank is the easiest to open with, or Kasikorn. 

2 hours ago, Hami said:

All you needs is residence certificate (which you'll have to get from immigration first). I've read that Bangkok Bank is the easiest to open with, or Kasikorn

You cannot obtain a residence certificate in Bangkok at Mueang Thong Thani unless you have done a 90 day report.

Hence suggestion of use of agent for bank account.

• Sad 1

upon entering Thailand on visa exempt , I apply within 30 days 
For the o visa . (Funds already in bank) 

So the o visa is for 3 months only , then anytime before 3 months , i then go get the extension which is 12 months. This is what we extend annually  .

So kind of apply 2 times with the funds in the bank ? 

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Apply for non O retirement. 800k in Thai bank in your name only on day of application.

Question about the 800k funds coming from overseas as I have seen this mentioned.  If entering on a new 30 day exempt and the 800k funds have been in place for 2 years from previous work in Thailand, would they accept that, and would they ask for past pay slips, copy of previous work permit, or Thai tax returns? Or do you have to send in another fresh 800K deposit?

4 minutes ago, neytil said:

Question about the 800k funds coming from overseas as I have seen this mentioned.  If entering on a new 30 day exempt and the 800k funds have been in place for 2 years from previous work in Thailand, would they accept that, and would they ask for past pay slips, copy of previous work permit, or Thai tax returns? Or do you have to send in another fresh 800K deposit?

The proof of 800k baht being transferred from abroad will not be required if has been in the bank for a long time (2 months or more).

• Like 2

19 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

You can do visa exempt 30 days (with one-time option to extend another 30 days) and then apply for non-imm O for 90 days which needs 800k in Thai bank.

Once 800k is in bank for 2 months you can apply for 12 month extension based on retirement.

What I don't know is how people apply for a bank account now. I have one from years ago which was based on showing my Condo Chanote. I went in to my bank to open another account to deposit and leave the 800k in and they said can't do without showing a long term visa.

So you need a bank account to get a long term visa but you need a long term visa to get a bank account. Endless loop?

I had no problems getting a kasikorn account on a TR visa.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, as already outlined.

Enter visa exempt. 30day stamp.

That visa gives a 90 day permission of stay.

In the last month apply for 12 month extension with the 800k having been in the bank for 2 months.

I want to give up my OA retirement and apply for an O retirement visa next time I enter the LOS. I currently do not hold 800k in the bank but have monthly international transfers >65k hitting my Thai account which I use as evidence for my annual stay permit approvals.
Would this method be equally acceptable when applying the O retirement visa?

25 minutes ago, Taccos said:

I want to give up my OA retirement and apply for an O retirement visa next time I enter the LOS. I currently do not hold 800k in the bank but have monthly international transfers >65k hitting my Thai account which I use as evidence for my annual stay permit approvals.
Would this method be equally acceptable when applying the O retirement visa?

The transfers of 65k baht to prove your income is not listed on the requirements to apply for the non-o visa. It only shows proof on income from a embassy or 800k baht in a Thai bank.

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The transfers of 65k baht to prove your income is not listed on the requirements to apply for the non-o visa. It only shows proof on income from a embassy or 800k baht in a Thai bank.

Thanks! So need maintain 800k in the bank for getting the non-o approved. Once the extension of stay process kicks in I could the go back to the 65k method. Is this correct?

35 minutes ago, Taccos said:

Thanks! So need maintain 800k in the bank for getting the non-o approved. Once the extension of stay process kicks in I could the go back to the 65k method. Is this correct?

Correct

If you had a year of transfers of 65k baht or more from abroad you could apply for the extension of stay during the last 30 days of the 90 days the non-o visa allows. It would be best to leave the 800k baht in the bank as fallback it there was a problem with doing the income option.

38 minutes ago, Taccos said:

I'm in process of doing exactly same thing, 800K for 90 day and will use monthly for 12 mo extension.

28 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I'm in process of doing exactly same thing, 800K for 90 day and will use monthly for 12 mo extension.

Can you clarify exactly what your doing/planning.

Seems you placed the 800k in the account to obtain the non O then leave it there in order to cover the 2 months seasoning period for the extension. 

The next step I'm not clear about.

So then start with the 65k monthly income. 

Have I read this incorrectly. 

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The next step I'm not clear about.

So then start with the 65k monthly income. 

Yes

immigration will not accept the monthly transfer for the non-o visa application but they will accept it when applying for the one year  extension.

• Thanks 2

On 2/10/2022 at 9:25 AM, ubonjoe said:

The proof of 800k baht being transferred from abroad will not be required if has been in the bank for a long time (2 months or more).

Showing that the 800k is transferred abroad shouldn't be a problem. But if arrive on 30 day exempt+ renew 30days , total 60days. Even if, as soon as you arrive you open a bank account, then transfer funds in, this process will take at least 1 week. So funds can only be in there for like 1 month 3weeks, before your 60days is up. Or is there no time criteria for bank balanes, when applying for the non-imm 'O' retirement first time (90 days).

9 minutes ago, Hami said:

Showing that the 800k is transferred abroad shouldn't be a problem. But if arrive on 30 day exempt+ renew 30days , total 60days. Even if, as soon as you arrive you open a bank account, then transfer funds in, this process will take at least 1 week. So funds can only be in there for like 1 month 3weeks, before your 60days is up. Or is there no time criteria for bank balanes, when applying for the non-imm 'O' retirement first time (90 days).

In your case you would be applying for a non-o visa that allows a 90 day stay from the day it is issued. To apply for the non-o visa application the 800k baht only has to be in the bank on the day you apply.

The when you apply for the one year extension of stay based upon retirement the 800k baht will need to be in the bank for 2 months.

5 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

TM 7 for sure.

Isn't the TM7 for extending the 90 day for 12 month extension?  I thought TM86 is form for changing from visa exempt to 90 day?  Could someone please post a full list of the correct requirements.

16 minutes ago, neytil said:

I thought TM86 is form for changing from visa exempt to 90 day? 

You are correct about the TM86 but also need to fill out the TM7 along with a photo & all relevant copies of passport page, TM6 & stamps in your passport all signed.

28 minutes ago, neytil said:

Isn't the TM7 for extending the 90 day for 12 month extension?  I thought TM86 is form for changing from visa exempt to 90 day?  Could someone please post a full list of the correct requirements.

For a visa exempt entry you will use a TM87 form to apply for non-o visa.

The TM86 is to change of visa status when the entry was done with a tourist visa.

The is the requirments for a non-o visa application for retirment. https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/8-1.pdf

12 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

You are correct about the TM86 but also need to fill out the TM7 along with a photo & all relevant copies of passport page, TM6 & stamps in your passport all signed.

For a visa exempt entry a TM87 form is needed.

A TM7 extension application form is not needed to apply for a non immigrant visa.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

For a visa exempt entry a TM87 form is needed.

A TM7 extension application form is not needed to apply for a non immigrant visa.

Thankyou UJ - Apologies for posting incorrect information - Good to know the correct procedures & forms required.

Im gonna go & sit in the corner now for a while & refrain from posting further.

There are few options

1- You must have 800 000 in the bank for at least 2 months which in your case it may be difficult if you don't have longer visa. But you may open an account and put the fund in it and wait. You may have to exit the country one time and re enter again and get another 30 days visa. At this time you had the money in the bank for more than 2 months.

2- If you are on pension and your pay is more than 65000 Bhat a month. You can get a letter from your Embassy and can immediately apply for Non O if hopefully they will still do it. That is how I am going to try.

3- I heard there are agents that charge you more money and they will manage everything.

Good luck

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/9/2022 at 9:32 PM, Hami said:

I see. So do you mean for the first 90days renewal, you only need to show the 800k in the bank (which came from overseas), and that it doesn't have to have been in there for 2 months already. Because obviously wouldn't have been in Thailand long enough to open the account and season it with full 2 months. 

But for the 1 year extension, then yes can show the 800k has been in the bank for 2months already. 

From what I've read, depending on the bank and branch you visit, its easier at some than others to open an account (even if you don't have any type of visa). All you needs is residence certificate (which you'll have to get from immigration first). I've read that Bangkok Bank is the easiest to open with, or Kasikorn. 

The problem is how will you transfer the fund if you don't have a bank account? You probably should show your fund at the airport and get a receipt that you had this fund with you when you enter the country. You can tell them it is for your visa or condo etc.

• Confused 1