Thailand’s ‘progressive’ liquor bill stalled as vetting by cabinet required

snoop1130

000_1SD1KZ.jpg

The House of Representatives today (Wednesday) decided to forward a “progressive” liquor draft bill, which seeks to break the oligopoly in liquor production in Thailand and allow new producers to enjoy a more competitive market, to the cabinet for its approval, before it is returned to Parliament for the first reading, adding two months to the process.

207 MPs voted in support of the cabinet vetting, against 196, most of whom from the Opposition, who disagreed.

The Opposition’s Move Forward MP Taopiphop Limjittrakorn, who proposed the bill thanked his colleagues in the opposition and some government MPs for supporting the bill.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-progressive-liquor-bill-stalled-as-vetting-by-cabinet-required/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-02-09

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 2

It's easy for some of you to say the Thai people don't want this government.  While it is true that some don't there are still lots of Thai's that still support the government.  Maybe that will change more in a generation or two.

Pet peeve rant time. For food and booze I can live cheaper and better in the horribly expensive Bay Area than I can here. I care little for most Thai food, and restaurant meals here with some exceptions are relatively cheap but barely acceptable. But peeve #1 is no large economy sizes in any of the stores to speak of: tiny sizes with 100s % mark-ups. And collusion on the prices of everything. Yes it is a drop in the bucket to what I can afford, but I didn't get to that point by being stupid about money.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, brucegoniners said:

How about lower the taxes on foreign liquor and other goods? Frikin ridiculous!

I thought they already "OK'd" this late last year and it was to take affect on wines ... I haven't noticed any drop in prices.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rwill said:

It's easy for some of you to say the Thai people don't want this government.  While it is true that some don't there are still lots of Thai's that still support the government.  Maybe that will change more in a generation or two.

I am no political expert, but I am sure that if there was a general election tomorrow, this unelected soldier posing as a PM and the rest of the Junta would be voted out of office over and over again.

But as I said, I am no political expert so I have no idea who would take over, but any political party would be better than this lot.

• Like 1