Retirement in Thailand for low and mid level budget expats -- is the party really over?

Jingthing

9 hours ago, Grecian said:

Corporate gauging!!!!

If you hire a self employed plumber in the states he is more reasonable than how a corporation like Wal-Mart sets their prices?

In the UK I find the corporations ok. It's the one man self employed tradesman that will happily bend me over and take revenge for my white middle class male privilege. Lol

I agree. But, it is both in the US. The corporate gouging has been utterly shameless, in addition to cutting way back on customer service, to the point where it is almost non existent anymore, all with Covid, supply chain shortages and labor shortages being used for PR and for a cover. It is felonious behavior. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, swissie said:

Jepp. Emerging health problems are likely to be the main killer of "The tropical retirement dream". Choosing the "wrong partner" possibly coming in as a distant second.

Case in point: Used to live in rural Thailand on US$ 1600/month. Lacking nothing, I was a "happy camper". But a good health insurance (deserving that name) would have cost me between $ 400 to 500/month. Limited to the age of 70. I came to the conclusion: No will do!

So, I pulled up stakes and went back to my home country. Just in time. In the meantime, I ran up Hospital-Bills 2 times worth my assets. Had I stayed in Thailand, I would have been  wiped out financially.
The point is: When it comes to relocate to other exotic retirement heavens, the "health-issue" should be on top of the list of criteria that must be checked out beforehand. Unless willing and able to pay expensive health insurance premiums, the question must be: Can an Expat become part of the "National Health Scheme"? Yes/No. Usually, much lower premiums than other private providors.

Other criteria like "pristine beaches" and "the friendly natives" may become irrelevant, should a major "health problem" emerge.

Not incorporating this issue in future re-location plans is the equivalent of sitting down at a Las Vegas Roulette table. Old wisdom has it, that elderly folks should not sit at any Roulette tables anymore as their life span is not long enough to recover any losses.

One is able to get affordable ( even allowing for an age surcharge ) 1 year renewable health insurance from NZ that I used in Thailand. I assume it's possible in other countries, which negates the "can I afford health insurance in LOS" question.

Otherwise one might consider that an earlier than desirable exit is preferable to living wherever we chose to leave. I had considered such, but not being able to get my pension in LOS meant I had to leave anyway when the savings ran out.

14 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I agree. But, it is both in the US. The corporate gouging has been utterly shameless, in addition to cutting way back on customer service, to the point where it is almost non existent anymore, all with Covid, supply chain shortages and labor shortages being used for PR and for a cover. It is felonious behavior. 

Sounds like NZ banks that no longer want to offer counter services, if one can even find one. Many banks have closed branch banks in small towns.

IMO the ultimate goal is the cashless society- the corporate wet dream.

8 hours ago, Albert Zweistein said:

Whats wrong with granddads walking around in shorts/singlets and sandals ? Probably thats why they escaped from the cold winter. Do you want them to walk around in trousers and sweaters and maybe an icecap on their heads ?

My self I love to walk around in shorts and sandals but always in shirts, not singlets.

And never in Pattaya, in 30 + times Thailand been there only once.

My point is that you could have just mentioned granddads and not what they are wearing.

Seems you are envious.

I'm amused that so many posters seems to have a need to assert that they never go to Pattaya. Anyone been in Thailand longer than a week probably knows that bar girls are available just about everywhere in LOS.

Agree about the dress code. I only ever wore t shirt, shorts and flip flops, except at immigration, and if anyone didn't like it, that was their problem.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sounds like NZ banks that no longer want to offer counter services, if one can even find one. Many banks have closed branch banks in small towns.

IMO the ultimate goal is the cashless society- the corporate wet dream.

Everything as usual is always down to money and profits. 

Many consumerable items last a lot longer than they use to these days so one reason for customer service robots. 

On-line banking is something I've use for years why bother with a branch.

I use to have to go to a bank branch to sent or receive money I don't have to do that anymore.

Pay money in by machine take money out by machine, transactions on-line.

People are obsolete. ????????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Everything as usual is always down to money and profits. 

Many consumerable items last a lot longer than they use to these days so one reason for customer service robots. 

On-line banking is something I've use for years why bother with a branch.

I use to have to go to a bank branch to sent or receive money I don't have to do that anymore.

Pay money in by machine take money out by machine, transactions on-line.

People are obsolete. ????????

When enough people are obsolete, do you think you'll still be livin' the dream? Someone will have to give them money and that someone will probably be people that are working, or have assets.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

When enough people are obsolete, do you think you'll still be livin' the dream? Someone will have to give them money and that someone will probably be people that are working, or have assets.

As long as my pension money keeps coming nothing really matters much to me these days. 

I'm happy that's the main thing my family are OK so no worries for me really.

As always in life you just get on with it that's what I did whatever was thrown my way. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

As long as my pension money keeps coming nothing really matters much to me these days. 

I'm happy that's the main thing my family are OK so no worries for me really.

As always in life you just get on with it that's what I did whatever was thrown my way. 

Enough people can't get work and the whole system collapses. You think that elderly expats will be given a pension overseas if there are thousands on the bread line back home?

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Enough people can't get work and the whole system collapses. You think that elderly expats will be given a pension overseas if there are thousands on the bread line back home?

Well it's cheaper for UK to keep me here than rather than they would want me coming home I would be just added to there problems by having to go home. 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 2:12 PM, OJAS said:

It goes wider than the Embassy, I think. The UK government as a whole has made it plain that it has no time for British pensioners of "low and mid-level budgetary means" (as per the OP title) who choose to live in Thailand, and has sought to "punish" those of us who have the temerity  to disagree with their point of view through inflicting excessively bureaucratic procedures on us over recent years in key areas such as passport renewals and State Pension life certificates - with the latter adding insult to injury as a result of our pensions being frozen for ever and a day!

What when constantly shifting goalposts on retirement extension requirements are thrown into the mix as well, I really do wonder sometimes whether the British and Thai governments are actively engaged in implementing a joint strategy aimed purely at making life for us expat Brit retirees here in LOS just as stressful and difficult as is humanly possible.

Do you think so?

In the totality of "British Pension provision the numbers in Thailand are so small that they probably don't even feature in their calculations. We are, also, cheaper for them. If I were in the UK, when I qualify for a pension I will also qualify for a bus pass, probably assistance towards housing costs, possibly mobility or disability allowance, together with prescription charge exemption and of course all sorts of stuff on the NHS.

Frankly I think that they probably have little interest in British pensioners of "low and mid-level budgetary means" whether they live in Birmingham, Bangkok or Berlin! The social settlement which governs our society, and which they cannot break, means that they have to pay a state pension. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well it's cheaper for UK to keep me here than rather than they would want me coming home I would be just added to there problems by having to go home. 

I doubt they would consider you as an individual. I do think they'd just stop paying overseas pensions. It wouldn't be as though they'd be keeping you in luxury back home either. Welcome to the breadline and work camps.

It's all happened before in the 1930s.

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I doubt they would consider you as an individual. I do think they'd just stop paying overseas pensions. It wouldn't be as though they'd be keeping you in luxury back home either. Welcome to the breadline and work camps.

The pension settlement, to which we have all adhered ( providing we have paid National Insurance Contributions) means that they pay a pension - to change that settlement would mean the embarrassment of having to pass and enact controversial retrospective legislation, which would actually save nothing because so many would simply turn up in the UK to claim pensions and more.

There used to be a fellow on here who called himself "Hauptmann" something or other. He claimed a couple of times to be a member of the Conservative Party, and regularly trolled that he was in contact with a minister who was planning such a proposal. Funny thing is, when asked which minister, so we could raise the matter with him, or asked which Conservative Party branch, so we could ask them, he disappeared in a puff of (blue?) smoke! 

He was of course trolling.

I don't think they would take away expatriate pensions, but nor do I think they will "unfreeze them.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Maybe your not English I am not the only UK oversea English pensioner there are thousands on frozen pensions surely they would take in to account it would be cheaper for a UK pensioner on a frozen pension to stay where we are.

If they do anything maybe they should freeze UK pensions in USA and Europe as well if they want to save money. 

21 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

big numbers of uk retiree expats mostly in benidorm playing bingo and getting

drunk .they come from  wigan and northern towns ,more than pattaya retirees

without, warmth, bar girls, tasty food, less expensive food, fresh fruits (cheaper) and no huge gas bills

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

That was straight from the April International website.

Up to you as they say ????

Many international companies do not sell direct to some age groups yet brokers do

Maybe some have entry age limit maybe some dont...Call & talk to a broker...or not

April was an example from a sheet of many International Health Insurers available

DYODD

From AA's site

27. Until which age can I apply for a health insurance?

Almost all plans know a maximum entry age. Until the age of 75 you will still have enough choice. After 75 only a few Companies will still accept you.

Edited by meechai

2 hours ago, meechai said:

Up to you as they say ????

Many international companies do not sell direct to some age groups yet brokers do

Maybe some have entry age limit maybe some dont...Call & talk to a broker...or not

April was an example from a sheet of many International Health Insurers available

DYODD

From AA's site

You can talk to the broker; I will deal with the statement of the underwriter.

11 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Maybe your not English I am not the only UK oversea English pensioner there are thousands on frozen pensions surely they would take in to account it would be cheaper for a UK pensioner on a frozen pension to stay where we are.

If they do anything maybe they should freeze UK pensions in USA and Europe as well if they want to save money. 

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough before, but what I'm saying is that when robotics/ AI destroy enough jobs there won't be any pensions at all, unless from private company pension funds. There just won't be enough taxpayers to afford government pensions, IMO.

I hope I'm not still living when it happens though.

28 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

You can talk to the broker; I will deal with the statement of the underwriter.

Good Night....Maybe buy a vowel too as you need a clue

https://aseannow.com/topic/1249986-retirement-in-thailand-for-low-and-mid-level-budget-expats-is-the-party-really-over/?do=findComment&comment=17186012

Listen it was a post that showed many international insurance examples & a compare to Thai based insurance examples also

I used April as an example because it was first in list...ok? The example I gave also used age 61 again AS AN EXAMPLE

Secondly many on Thai Visa including Sheryl a respected health care worker in Thailand recommend & use them

That is all period it was a post... not a guarantee April INT specifically would fit you personally.... Go thru the list if your serious about or need health insurance

Edited by meechai

I have had health insurance in Thailand for almost 20 years. I have never used a broker. I have read where Ms. Sheryl recommends to always use a broker. I would never tell anyone not to use a broker. When the underwriter states that max application age is 65, I am not interested that someone says that is a 'maybe'.

I have found in Thailand that the insurance office of a large hospital in Thailand that deals with some insurers on a near daily basis is more than sufficient in representing me on a claim without the help or involvement of a broker. 

On 2/11/2022 at 7:44 AM, robblok said:

I am amazed with the sensitivity of some Americans. No hatred at all, but seems any comment is classified as hatred. No hatred at all. I could not care less where people are from. Can you point out where I said only Americans ? 

Just the fact you singled out Americans is enough. 

On 2/11/2022 at 6:01 PM, BritManToo said:

Maybe if America ceased starting wars, there would be less hate directed at it.

Should I have called it 'peacekeeping operations in foreign countries' rather than wars?

At first I did not agree or disagree with this.

But then after research I would like you to name a war the USA "started".

While you mull that over, as an American most of us have little control of what our governments do.

Similar to the rest of you in your countries.

Edited by PoodThaiMaiDai

2 hours ago, PoodThaiMaiDai said:

At first I did not agree or disagree with this.

But then after research I would like you to name a war the USA "started".

While you mull that over, as an American most of us have little control of what our governments do.

Similar to the rest of you in your countries.

Perhaps they didn't "start" the Vietnam war, but they certainly invented ways to get involved it, IMO. Perhaps you have forgotten the Gulf of Tonkin incident?

They might also be responsible for the Bay of Pigs, though that never developed into a proper "war" as Kennedy apparently didn't support it.

Let's not forget the coups they backed either, even if no American boots on the ground.

However, that's all a looooong way from retirement in Thailand so that's it from me on that subject.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps they didn't "start" the Vietnam war, but they certainly invented ways to get involved it, IMO. Perhaps you have forgotten the Gulf of Tonkin incident?

They might also be responsible for the Bay of Pigs, though that never developed into a proper "war" as Kennedy apparently didn't support it.

Let's not forget the coups they backed either, even if no American boots on the ground.

Dominican Repulic 1965 was an invasion

Please do not forget occupying the Phillipnes either

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

However, that's all a looooong way from retirement in Thailand so that's it from me on that subject.

Maybe you should educate yourself with the LINK.

I realize the USA was "involved" in many conflicts, but all the others countries (most of you the members here are from) are not innocent bystanders.