Big Decision: Which Asian country is ideal for foreign retirees?

webfact

10 minutes ago, NanaSomchai said:

And what about Sri Lanka then?

Well...

A staggering 8.54% of the total Sri Lanka population has HIV.

Source? It's all over the web (although these numbers are from 2020).

So, yeah neither of these destinations, thanks.

Next time, try Singapore.

Really? Looks like fake news to me.

https://www.aidsdatahub.org/sites/default/files/resource/2020-aids-data-book-srilanka.pdf

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7529248/

11 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Fake news you say? Let's look at the first paragraph of your linked articles then, shall we?

"HIV prevalence, sexual risk behaviours and HIV testing among female sex workers in three cities in Sri Lanka: Findings from respondent-driven sampling surveys"

Now let's add emphasis to it:

HIV prevalence, sexual risk behaviours and HIV testing among female sex workers in three cities in Sri Lanka: Findings from respondent-driven sampling surveys

You see that? Female sex workers, the statistics do not include MALE sex workers. This is why I did not link a source to my previous post because I legally cannot do so, male prostitution is supposedly "non existent" in Sri Lanka, which we all know is a load of BS, arguably because then again male sex workers are supposedly non existent as well.

Now should you compute the official female HIV rate with the officious male HIV rate (which by the way is through the roof) among heterosexual, bisexual and gay males, you end up with a staggering 8.54% HIV rate through it's population.

Not so "fake news" anymore, eh?

Edited by NanaSomchai
  • Like 1

If unsure then go live in the country of your first choice for 1 or 2 years, just rent a condo, travel around and see if you like the place. Living in a new country for a year or two is totally differant from dreaming about going to live there or being there on a weeks holiday and saying that is the place to retire.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dustdevil said:

Japan?! Only if you speak fluent Japanese and are not white.

Japan and Israel only apply if you have a fortune to burn. Starter homes in Tel Aviv are over $2 million. Japan is frighteningly expensive. However, the women, food, language and culture are amazing. Israel would be about 98th on my list. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dustdevil said:

I've lived in Malaysia for two years and subsequently had to visit many times. I wouldn't wish that place on anyone--well, maybe just my worst enemies. Overall, don't forget it's officially and majority a Muslim country with the mindset that goes along with that. The 25-30% Chinese population are in a weird mind bubble and the only thing they care about and talk about is food. What I had for breakfast and what I'm going to have for lunch and dinner, and of course Malaysia has the best food in the world and Westerners only eat cheese and steaks. They even use food as a greeting. And with bad English. "Have you taken your breakfast?" is confusing at first and wears very thin soon after.

Money, of course, is extremely relevant to them but they only talk about food, and maybe their new Honda Accord, which to them says "you've arrived." The so-called English they speak is obnoxious and often unintelligible. They have weird and warped ideas about the West. (Singaporeans are more sophisticated; I wouldn't mind living there if I could afford it.) They hear of or know of one instance of something in another country or group and they immediately generalize it across the board. Yes, I know. others do that too to some extent, but not to the extreme that Malaysians do.

It is NOT a friendly country. Don't be fooled by the gracious hosts in your 4 or 5-star hotel!

Women are incredibly beautiful, yes, but so are women across Asia. I prefer the smiles of Thailand. Not to mention the Rimping supermarkets in Chiang Mai! Nothing like that in Malaysia, stocked to the rafters with European and American goods. And American breakfast for 35 baht. Okay, maybe 50 baht by now. And wonderful Thai dinners for 50 baht.

I agree with part of what you say. I don't know however about Penang, never been there. But I lived and worked 1 1/2 years in Kuala Lumpur and did not like it one bit. I found the slogan "Malaysia, truly Asia" is a total misrepresentation of what it actually is, and very misleading.

I far prefer Thailand, with all its defaults and irritating factors (I could list a few but this is not the place). Compared to Malaysia, Thailand is a cultural giant. Food is at least as good, and women at least as beautiful as in Malaysia (and more available).

I checked the website Best Places to Retire in 2022: The Annual Global Retirement Index (internationalliving.com). The OP hides the fact that when looking at the world, not one Asian country makes it to the top 10 list. Obviously, one can always wonder about the criteria used. But this is a sign nevertheless that Asia is maybe not that extraordinary after all. Statements like "great food", "amazing natural beauty", "amazing cultural sites" or "great population diversity" are used too freely left, right and centre, without much sense of relativity.

I personally understand why Mexico, Colombia, France, Spain or Portugal figure in the top 10. Let's take Mexico, for example. Compared with Thailand, Mexico is at least as cheap, has much easier regulations for foreigners, has a lot more diversity and a lot more cultural sites etc.... good food but maybe not as good as Thailand. Very friendly people and much easier to communicate with (Spanish being more accessible for most foreigners than Thai). For those interested in women, I would say Thailand beats Mexico by a few lengths. Security could be an issue but certainly one should not believe that Mexican cartels and other gangsters are everywhere and every day going to jump on foreigners.

Colombia, great also, except for the food (great meat but limited choices). Portugal and Spain, great also, cheap enough, very safe, lots to do and see, good climates.

Etc. Ah, the climates : in my opinion, climates in Asia can be a problem for foreigners used to temperate climates. South European climates (including France) are fantastic. So are the climates in Latin America (especially in the mountains). Thailand climates : I find them brutal, and Malaysia even more.

• Like 2