Will new bill finally pop the cap on Thailand’s booze oligopoly?

webfact

There are some craft beer places in Bangkok with great beer. Cambodia’s Kingdom Brewery does some nice brews for the Thai market, but difficult to find. 

But everything in Thailand monopolizes even more, given the undemocratic power structures. No hope here for that bill. Even though, what’s going on with cannabis is a bit surprising. 

In the meantime I’m quite pleased with Singha’s Reserve brew. Quite hoppy and tasty, not your average Thai beer at all!

• Like 1

"For instance, beer manufacturers are required to have at least Bt10 million in registered capital."           I think I might be missing something here. Please correct me if I'm on the wrong bus. A beer manufacturer is only required to have Bt10 million in capital ? We retired peasants have to have Bt 800,000 tied up in a bank account to remain in the Kingdome. Bt 10 million is a fair chunk of change, but only about 13 times more than the 800,000 we have sitting idle. What am I missing ?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, kuzie57 said:

Beer Lao is the best beer in SE Asia in my opinion, just wish it was not taxed so heavily.

Don't you understand ? BeerLao is imported, international drop. Has to come across the Mekong.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, sambum said:

Many years ago I was touring in Sweden with a few mates, and we were staying in a forest lodge for a couple of days. We decided to have a snack and a couple of beers and the "landlady" brought us some bottles of Tuborg Special. I have had Carlsberg Special before, which is strong, but this stuff was almost hallucogenic! One guy thought there was a pack of wolves surrounding our lodge, andf it turned out to be the landlady exercising her Alsatian dogs. We had a fabulous time! ????

You sure it wasn't those funny mushrooms he ate????

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Guderian said:

They need to do something, Thai beer is some of the worst I've tasted anywhere, and it seems to get worse every year. Even a locally brewed foreign beer, like SML, seems to lose much of its magic here compared with drinking it in the PI. Thank Buddha for Hoegaarden, brewed under licence in Vietnam and available at a reasonable price here nowadays.

I was with you until you mentioned Hoegaarden. What a foul taste that is

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Critics have complained for years that the Thai liquor market is monopolized by a handful of giant producers

For a start, a monopoly is one, singular. There are duopolies (2) and oligopolies where there are several sellers. Grammar aside, no one becomes a billionaire by being stupid or mundane. Khun Charoen in Thai Bev is a really nice guy to his staff but a devil at winning business. I don’t know his next move but he will not lose money. My guess is that the law will force people out of business but making them invest too much. Let’s see.

6 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

That's a mighty big ''if''

When a new entrant into the  liquor market is not allowed to market their products how are they expected to launch their products?

Perhaps it is a case of tell your mother-in-law to pass the word around! 

5 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

I do have a Leo8 before dinner in the evening and after a bike ride through the rice fields but I wouldn't drink it any other time.Beerlao I like and yet to try Hoegaarden.  It did appear many years ago in Devon on draught and I thought it was lush. Whether it is the same brew ...I must give it a go.  If I was as dry as a dead dingo's donger I would not drink Chang. 10.30am and enjoying a cuppa tea.

The next time you'll have to try Hoechaarden Grand Cru, it is the best but I have to warning you, after 2 bottles you can already get drunk.

I'm not sure it is available in LOS.

1 hour ago, sambum said:

Many years ago I was touring in Sweden with a few mates, and we were staying in a forest lodge for a couple of days. We decided to have a snack and a couple of beers and the "landlady" brought us some bottles of Tuborg Special. I have had Carlsberg Special before, which is strong, but this stuff was almost hallucogenic! One guy thought there was a pack of wolves surrounding our lodge, andf it turned out to be the landlady exercising her Alsatian dogs. We had a fabulous time! ????

We got a special brew in Denmark called Keine Hexerei that is 19% (ordinary Tuborg is like 4,6%)

and if you drink 4 or 5 of those there is a chance that it's not just wolves you will see ????

It hit like a hammer.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

^^^ On top of that, one batch can differ from another, making the Thai brand even worse than it normally is. Some batches have been absolutely putrid. 

On top of that you have delivery guys draining from the bottles then top up with water and replace the gap.

• Confused 2

14 minutes ago, Ginner said:

On top of that you have delivery guys draining from the bottles then top up with water and replace the gap.

Proof/link? Once you knock off the "gap" (I presume you mean "top" or "lid") the beer will become flat as a fluke in hours.

58 minutes ago, Virt said:

We got a special brew in Denmark called Keine Hexerei that is 19% (ordinary Tuborg is like 4,6%)

and if you drink 4 or 5 of those there is a chance that it's not just wolves you will see ????

It hit like a hammer.

At the end of the day, are you drinking to get drunk, or drinking to enjoy yourself? Personally, I go for the latter option!

A friend of mine who was an alcoholic (RIP) used to drink Carlsberg Special  - a few bottles in secret every day and I never saw him drunk! That, IMHO, is the difference between a drunk and an alcoholic!