Thais praised for finding Russian tourist's necklace: "That's why our tourism is so magical," says top cop

webfact

8 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

And they are not even genuine tourists either, more like expats and retirees who must get back to their families and loved ones, no matter the associated risks and the costs.

Is Pattaya Open for tourists?

According to the acting president of the Chon Buri Tourism Council, Pattaya is still quiet, and 95% of tourists there are Thai since the reopening to international tourists on November 1. Of the 200 to 300 people per day who do come, the majority are not tourists but businesspeople and expats.
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, tonysilly said:

One gets tired of all the BS.  Getting ready to go soon!! Silly country

Riding home in a jitney full of school kids is a breeze here in Thailand because the young people here are all very well behaved and respectful of their elders. Try riding home on a bus full of American schoolkids who have just gotten out of school for the day. They're obnoxious.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

Riding home in a jitney full of school kids is a breeze here in Thailand because the young people here are all very well behaved and respectful of their elders. Try riding home on a bus full of American schoolkids who have just gotten out of school for the day. They're obnoxious.

Not every body lives in the not united states

Edited by Meat Pie 47

14 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Phuket is not representative of Thailand, which has more honest people than the UK or other Western countries I've lived in.

Well I've lived long term in both UK and Thailand.  I expect ordinary people in these countries are equal in numbers, what makes Thailand the loser is the widespread corruption in sectors of society: the police; the politicians; the mafias (I fell foul of Phuket taxi mob in the airport); the uncivil service like Immigration.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Well I've lived long term in both UK and Thailand.  I expect ordinary people in these countries are equal in numbers, what makes Thailand the loser is the widespread corruption in sectors of society: the police; the politicians; the mafias (I fell foul of Phuket taxi mob in the airport); the uncivil service like Immigration.

Funny, EVERYBOBY is complaining about Corruption in Thailand but EVERYBODY is happy if he is catched with more of ONE Beer and solve the problem with 1000.-Baht imidiately instead of spending 2 days in Jail and paying 15,000.-Baht Fine .... ????

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

The problem here is that majority of the lamenting members are measuring the life in Thailand and its people on their experience gained at Phuket, Pattaya, etc, what is - and the people either - absolutely different from the life in other parts of Thailand. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Saanim said:

Obviously, you - like also many others coming here - were very disappointed not to find here everything - and the people either - so perfect and honest as in other well known tourist places... 

I think you have got it all wrong - nobody expects perfection, but Thailand is now lacking in certain attributes that it used to have - and honesty used to be one of them, along with ready (not false) smiles, for which it was rightly named "Land of Smiles". Even Immigration Officers used to smile and ask how they could help you!

But unfortunately, things have changed over the years - call it progress if you want, but just to illustrate what I mean, as an example my (Thai) wife tells me that a few years ago, when she was working in a bar, one of the customers went to put his wallet back in his pocket, missed (unbeknown to him) and it fell unnoticed onto the floor. My wife picked it up, and returned it to him, and he merely thanked her and put it back (carefully into his pocket) - no tip, or "get yourself a drink", which I personally thought was unbelievable, but she says she didn't mind - it was part of the way she was broughtup, she says.

A couple of years ago, she found a 100 baht note lying on the floor of a 711 shop, and she immediately put it in the "charity box" near the till. I asked why she had not given it to one of the staff in case the person who dropped it came back into the shop to ask if anybody had found it, and she said that whoever she gave it to would probably just pocket it. Sign of the times?

Edited by sambum
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, tlcwaterfall said:

Did you mean walk from the airport to his hotel with all his luggage which most likely was many kilometres away?

Nice of you to offer such friendly advice.

Plenty options from HKT. Hirecar.limo.hoteltransfer.setfare taxi. shareminivan.route buses. Though then u cant yell mafia!! 

6 hours ago, sambum said:

Even Immigration Officers used to smile and ask how they could help you!

Really? In LOS? I have never seen a smiling Immigration Officer, neither him offering a help.

However, if it was the case (smiling ordered by Thaksin?), do you think that the generals ordered them not to smile and not to offer a help?

20 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I'm a dual UK/Thai citizen and don't agree with you. For a start, immigration in Thailand is easier than most countries in the world, especially Western ones. You can get a visa on entry, or even if you are retired, you can easily get an extension of stay just for showing that you spend $20k+ a year. You can even stay if you don't qualify  for this by paying an agent $400! Yes, this is because of the corruption in immigration but I never hear any illegal foreigners complaining about the immigration in this respect. Too many have hypocritical views on corruption here. Even diehard anti-corruption guys like a friend of mine, happily pay immigration 5,000 baht a year so they don't have to travel to Bangkok to get a letter from their embassy. Likewise, when it comes to government, my Canadian pal criticizes Prayut yet praises Trudeau, the worst dictator in the world. As for Mafia, is the Phuket taxi driver charging an extra $10 really above in the corruption polls the Mob in New York?

Nowhere did I say Immigration is difficult here.  You accept Immigration is riddled with corruption but castigate foreigners for taking advantage of this.  How the New York mafia comes into a discussion on Thai honesty I fail to see.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Olmate said:

For a longtime stayer you must have tried hard to do that. Either use them or not.

I arrive at the airport armed with a map showing my hotel.  An airport official shows me into a cab who drives around failing to find my hotel (situated under two minutes away.)  How do I not use them? Are you suggesting my wife and I trundle our cases on foot in temperatures of 30+?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, moskito said:

Funny, EVERYBOBY is complaining about Corruption in Thailand but EVERYBODY is happy if he is catched with more of ONE Beer and solve the problem with 1000.-Baht imidiately instead of spending 2 days in Jail and paying 15,000.-Baht Fine .... ????

It's called intelligence.  When in Rome, do as the Romans do.  Would you sacrifice your freedom for your principles?

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

I arrive at the airport armed with a map showing my hotel.  An airport official shows me into a cab who drives around failing to find my hotel (situated under two minutes away.)  How do I not use them? Are you suggesting my wife and I trundle our cases on foot in temperatures of 30+?

Geez what an ordeal! Glad you managed to pull thru.

On 2/16/2022 at 11:43 AM, Neeranam said:

Strange, there are many visit the immigration every day. 

It is semantics, but to immigrate means to come live permanently.... that is unachievable for many and we keep having to go to immigration to get limited/temporary extensions.