Phone Scam????

overherebc

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my fine go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you. I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you

On 2/15/2022 at 12:26 PM, overherebc said:

Just had a call from a number starting +997 saying I had an outstanding driving fine to pay. I just hung up on it.

Checked +997 code and it is noted as unassigned.

Scam or what?

A lot depends on whether you have a fine that you have not paid, I suppose!    Sometimes callers that do not want call backs on that number are configured to show unrecognisable numbers.

On 2/15/2022 at 12:51 PM, ChipButty said:

I've been getting dodgy calls for a week +44 which is the UK maybe 4 calls a day about online credit they were Thai's bye the way

I have some other strange with my phone, it happens now 4 or 5 times, the last 2 times today, I stay in Thailand, my telephone lays on the desk and 2 relatives from me from Europe call me with the question "did you call me?"

The 2 times before it happens that time I stay in Europe, and the same happens, very strange.

I have a Thai prepaid card from AIS, and after the first time it happens I changed the phone because the phone get some problems with the camera.

Sorry, but I don't understand how a full grown up, and possible mature person can fall for these scams.

I have 2 email accounts.
1 for personal use and 1 for public use.
The email account for personal use get almost no scam messages.
The public use email receives every day at least a dozen emails about a dying old lady with millions of US dollar wanted to donate her fortune to charity; an unknown family member who died in an airplane accident (with the link to that accident and I seemed to be the only heridairy; my email address won millions of USD on the Microsoft lottery, etc.
Everything goes straight to my "Trash" box without reading.

The same with my phone.
My phone has 2 SIM Cards.
1 for personal use and 1 for public use.
The SIM for personal (PostPaid) use get almost no scam messages.
The SIM for public use is a PrePaid SIM which get daily about 10 SMS/Calls about the latest phone for sale at their outlets; the latest PrePaid Sim cards available at 7/11 shops; offers from Lazada/Shopee/etc.; Etc.
I tend to exchange this SIM card every time the "scam" SMS/Calls get too much annoying.
This SIM is set to NEVER make a sound when a message comes in.

Life can be so easy when you get rid of all this scamming.

I feel so left out. I never get any scam/spam calls. If I post my number will some of you call me? Sniff Sniff ????

Got a couple of those girly emails - was gonna send them pics to make sure they had the right guy but can't get my phone down there any more and we don't have a wall mirror near a chair. ????

13 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Sorry, but I don't understand how a full grown up, and possible mature person can fall for these scams.

You shouldn't be so smug.  The fact that these scams are still ongoing means that people are still falling for it.  In the US, the elderly seem to be the most frequent victims.  It got so bad that the gov had to create laws specifically to protect old people from being swindled.  Aren't old folks the most "grown-up and mature" people? 

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

In my country, they make phone calls to you. They introduce themselves as bank workers, they also somehow know what is your bankaccount and also know to mention many personal things from you. Then they try to let you move money as there are problems.

It seems a very good organized way to do so, as many people take the bite.

How they know lots of your personal stuff? They dont know. Even educated people fall for it.

So dont pay attention when they call and say they are employees and bla bla bla, HANG UP.  

In my country they do that and more. They claim they are authorities you own income tax and you don't pay you will be arrested, or even pretend to be Police. The real authorities don't do that. They send certified letters if investigated for tax issues. If the Police want to arrest you they don't warn you. They show up with a warrant and even kick your door down. Or guys named "Floyd" from the "service department" call you with a heavy Indian accent saying their is a problem with your internet and try to trick you into loading spyware on your device so they can completely hijack it.