Poll: How do you treat incompetent service people that you realize are pitiful human beings?

Jingthing

Service is bad, but service person is a mess  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Today I had a food delivery driver.

Without going into detail, she was wildly incompetent, and when I eventually got my food (her fault) it was well cold.

But then I saw her and talked to her for a moment.

I realized she was very much not OK. Perhaps mentally limited or however people say that these days.

So instead of giving her a piece of my mind, giving her a one star rating, complaining about her to the company, I just shut my pie hole.

But I did NOT tip her as I generally do for even basically OK service.

So I'm definitely no saint. 

Thinking about this afterwards, I guess I didn't want to encourage her to do a job she clearly can't do.

But perhaps that was her only option, so then that makes me an unfeeling A-hole.

How do you respond to pitiful people that haven't done the job for you?

This isn't necessarily about food delivery service but it can be.

Pick the choice close to your own truth about how you think you would respond in a similar situation.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

The question is, why arent they properly  trained.  It happens all the time all over the wotld.  People dont endeavor  to grow or become more marketable.   They 're happy with low wage, and just having a job.  Having a job doesn't  make one a professional.   Look at McDonald's or any fast food.  It doesn't  take a college  degree to work there, but how many of you have ordered your food throughout  your history  of visits to a fast food place and the order was wrong.  It doesnt require too much thought, but it seems that places like this and others that just pay a wage dont require free thinking.  Here you must know by now that the local nationals  can't  think out of the box.  I mean next time you are near a road and can see cars drive by just look in and see how may are alone, one person in the vehicle  and they are still wearing a mask..  I mean if you are under anyones control, employer perhaps, thinking out of the box is not an option.  So, its tolerate it or it's time to get out.

16 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Without going into detail, she was wildly incompetent

Maybe you should have ,then we could tell if she was really that bad at her job,

If she was just delivering from A - B , maybe she was given the wrong directions,

I have never had anyone , delivery person , or any other service person that was wildly incompetent,

maybe not doing their job as well as I think they should ,but nothing that would want me to tell

the World about it, 

It would seem many service people here are not trained enough , or at all, that's not their fault

but managements , 

regards worgeordie 

• Like 1

that's generally too trivial for me to busy myself with but I might make an unemotional and very clear remark, there is a women who is somewhat disabled at my usual lunch spot, she has my sympathy.
service where I am (small community upcountry) does not often require tipping anyway.

Edited by orchis

Just now, worgeordie said:

Maybe you should have ,then we could tell if she was really that bad at her job,

If she was just delivering from A - B , maybe she was given the wrong directions,

I have never had anyone , delivery person , or any other service person that was wildly incompetent,

maybe not doing their job as well as I think they should ,but nothing that would want me to tell

the World about it, 

It would seem many service people here are not trained enough , or at all, that's not their fault

but managements , 

regards worgeordie 

This isn't only about her. So no need to go into detail. Also if you had bothered to actually read about it, you would know the poll is not only about delivery, it's about service and service people IN GENERAL.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, orchis said:

that's generally too trivial for me to busy myself with but I might make an unemotional and very clear remark,
service where I am (small community upcountry) does not often require tipping anyway.

As indicated,. the poll doesn't require there to normally need tipping to be involved. This is a GENERAL thing, where you're supposed to pick an answer closest to your truth about how you respond to bad service from limited pitiful people. Obviously if you get bad service and the person is sharp and snarky, that's a totally different ballgame. 

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, Jingthing said:

This isn't only about her. So no need to go into detail. Also if you had bothered to actually read about it, you would know the poll is not only about delivery, it's about service and service people IN GENERAL.

Like I said, I have not found the kind of service you describe from any person ,delivery or whatever,

if you had only read what  I wrote ........

regards worgeordie

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

Like I said, I have not found the kind of service you describe from any person ,delivery or whatever,

if you had only read what  I wrote ........

regards worgeordie

IMAGINE that you had. Geez! So many people are so painfully literal. No tip for you!

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Similar happened to me... 

Ordered food, tracked the delivery rider who went a long way out of their way and took 1 hour for delivery alone rather than an expected 15mins in the route he should have taken - food was cold, but that wasn’t the restaurants fault (I could have gone there on my motorcycle, ordered it and brought it back and eaten the food by the time the delivery driver dropped it off!)

I asked the driver why he went so far out of the way, his response was that he’d followed google maps - I think it was more that he couldn’t read google maps. 

I mentioned that he simply could have taken xxx soi directly.... shrug.. 

Grab subtracts the bill directly from my credit card etc..  So I don’t tip the delivery drivers anyway, so tipping or not tipping doesn’t really make a difference - there is an option to complain but I let it go. It was a one off.

So.. no tip, but I continue using Grab until such a point that the service is so repeatedly poor that it becomes not worth it. 

This happened with FoodPanda - 3 late deliveries in a row and I stopped using them. Customer service were excellent, gave me ‘credit’ etc.... but ultimately, I don’t want credit. I want a service which does what it promises - thats all... and when they meet that promise I used them again. 

If someone doesn’t have their full mental faculties... I’m more sympathetic, but I’m not rude, impolite anyway, but neither to tip the 3-4 delivery drivers who deliver things to our house every day. 

Grab offers the option of tipping by the same card you used to pay for the food. You don't have to decide until the order if fulfilled. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

But I did NOT tip her as I generally do for even basically OK service.

So I'm definitely no saint. 

I don't tip, and I live in the 3rd world.

I don't expect much and I usually get it.

I usually 'sa-kan' to pay for deliveries anyway, no way to tip.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Tried to fill up the truck today,asked for 1000 baht of diesel.

Pump was started and not much happened,then the message came,ran out of fuel.

Total price was 6 baht,i paid her seven and told her to keep the chance.

What service?

• Haha 1

What are the big food delivery sins? Too long and too cold.

Too long you can plan for, too cold you can order for: deep fried food, no. Banh Mi, yes.

In Mexico, they ask you outright if you want to tip and how much. I always tip in cash. Stick it to the man.

35 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Grab offers the option of tipping by the same card you used to pay for the food. You don't have to decide until the order if fulfilled. 

You wouldn't need to decide to tip IF the order was not fulfilled. 

20 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

What are the big food delivery sins? Too long and too cold.

Too long you can plan for, too cold you can order for: deep fried food, no. Banh Mi, yes.

In Mexico, they ask you outright if you want to tip and how much. I always tip in cash. Stick it to the man.

Paying and tipping by card eliminates the issue of change. Drivers sometimes lie that they don't have change. I don't blame them really for trying it on but I'm not playing. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Today I had a food delivery driver.

Without going into detail, she was wildly incompetent, and when I eventually got my food (her fault) it was well cold.

But then I saw her and talked to her for a moment.

I realized she was very much not OK. Perhaps mentally limited or however people say that these days.

Yes, but was she doable?

most all of Thai food delivery is c_rap by the time it arrives except for pizza. 

hence I don't waste money ordering anything but pizza or the odd subway sandwich .....   I mean it's pretty hard to stuff a sandwich up .....   but then again TIT   !!     LOL