Local brand car tyres

2long

My 15 year old Jazz needs new tyres.

I would normally only accept Michelin, Goodyear etc, but I see a lot of local brands for good prices. I know tyres are very important, but this car doesn't get driven fast or far. A new set of medium-brand tyres is surely better than the worn-out ones on it now... and I'm not in the position to spend 12,000B today.

I was thinking Deestone, Hankook or Toyo, or even Maxxis. All retail for around 7,000-8,000B for a set of 4.

Does anyone have any insight or experience on these brads?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, 2long said:

and I'm not in the position to spend 12,000B today.

I was thinking Deestone, Hankook or Toyo, or even Maxxis. All retail for around 7,000-8,000B for a set of 4.

So Bht 4000 over the life of the tyres, 3 or 4 years, is a concern?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

So fast?   LOL

IIRC, most tires are rated for use up to 120 km/hr. Call me conservative.

I've done 230 km/hr on an isolated road in Australia, but that was with perfect visibility and on Michelins.

• Confused 2

I would avoid DeeStone, as I couldn't even get 20k kms out of them.  Probably the worst tires I've ever bought.

I've had tires from Maxxis, and they didn't hold up to the brand reputation and past experiences with same, and yes, read into that.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 2:12 PM, Lacessit said:

I have had Hankooks previously in Australia, no problem.

I would say as long as the OP is not a leadfoot, they will all be OK up to 100 km/hour

They would all be ok up to their speed rating.  Why would anyone buy tyres with a speed rating limiting them to 100kph for a car capable of 165kph-ish ?

On 2/17/2022 at 1:35 PM, 2long said:

My 15 year old Jazz needs new tyres.

I would normally only accept Michelin, Goodyear etc, but I see a lot of local brands for good prices. I know tyres are very important, but this car doesn't get driven fast or far. 

Nothing wrong with any of those branded tyres for normal use.  If cost is the most important parameter, buy the cheapest.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 2:46 PM, Lacessit said:

IIRC, most tires are rated for use up to 120 km/hr.

Your recall about "most tyres" is way off.    Why would car manufacturers equip their modern passenger cars with tyres that are rated for speeds far below than their top speeds?   Is there any modern car of the type in the OP with a top speed of only 120kph?

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Your recall about "most tyres" is way off.    Why would car manufacturers equip their modern passenger cars with tyres that are rated for speeds far below than their top speeds?   Is there any modern car of the type in the OP with a top speed of only 120kph?

You may be right. Having said that, IME it's not too many car manufacturers who put premium tires on their vehicles. For example, my Mazda is on the original tires, Dunlop Enasaves.

They get only 50% of car owners who say they would buy them again, so I guess they are not as good as Michelins.

I can think of some modern cars that would be unsafe to drive at above 120 km/hr. Nissan Micra, Mitsubishi Mirage, Proton Savvy. Hit a bump or pothole on a Thai road at higher speeds, they'd be airborne in the blink of an eye.

This particular crash apparently occurred at no more than 40 km/hr, attesting to the driving skill of a Thai.

carcrash5.jpg

• Sad 1

Just put 4 new Maxis on my VIOS for 5600 baht including balancing and tracking.

I've used maxis before and found them ok but in the past not as quiet as Michelin plus went harder , faster. These latest Maxis now have a pattern very similar to the Michelins that have just come off and are quieter than previous patterns. Have to wait and see how long they last but 5600 was too good a price to ignore.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You may be right. Having said that, IME it's not too many car manufacturers who put premium tires on their vehicles. For example, my Mazda is on the original tires, Dunlop Enasaves.

They get only 50% of car owners who say they would buy them again, so I guess they are not as good as Michelins.

I can think of some modern cars that would be unsafe to drive at above 120 km/hr. Nissan Micra, Mitsubishi Mirage, Proton Savvy. Hit a bump or pothole on a Thai road at higher speeds, they'd be airborne in the blink of an eye.

This particular crash apparently occurred at no more than 40 km/hr, attesting to the driving skill of a Thai.

carcrash5.jpg

Sorry, but how can we be sure that this driver managed that at 39km/h or less?

I would say it would take an extraordinary level of skill, lack or skill or (bad) luck to do that, at the speed you quote/claim.

29 minutes ago, 2long said:

Sorry, but how can we be sure that this driver managed that at 39km/h or less?

I would say it would take an extraordinary level of skill, lack or skill or (bad) luck to do that, at the speed you quote/claim.

It was in Lamphun Road, Chiang Mai, opposite the condo where I lived at the time. The road is narrow and congested, it is virtually impossible to get above 40 km/hr in that spot.

The female Thai driver apparently claimed she fell asleep.

I can only think of two ways it could have happened, either she put the front wheels on full lock, or she was clipped by a truck coming the other way.

Quite right, it is a stunning lack of competence, or extreme bad luck.

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Automakers generally put low end tires on their low end models, and high end tires on their high end models, often from the same manufacturer. The also often get "special" sizes, which helps them negotiate the price down. 

As far as the 50% of buyers claim, while I assume this is true, it is not really a valid question as the owners did not really "buy" them the first time, and they really have no way of knowing if another tire would have performed better than the OEMs. The owners were not allowed to select what brand of tire they wanted when they bought the car,  nor would many of them have the opportunity to actually shop tires prior to being asked. 

Incidentally, back in the '90s I watched a car roll over in right in front front of me that was not going more than 10mph. 

• Thanks 1

When was the last time anyone here has had a flat, much less a blow-out? 

Even the cheapest tires today are better than the best tires forty years ago. Also, new tires almost always "feel" better than old tires, regardless of brand. 

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

When was the last time anyone here has had a flat, much less a blow-out? 

Even the cheapest tires today are better than the best tires forty years ago. Also, new tires almost always "feel" better than old tires, regardless of brand. 

I haven't had a blowout here; however, I have had quite a few flats. Almost invariably, it's from the tire picking up a nail or screw on the road. Shows up as a slow leak.

I can't recall seeing a streetsweeper here, perhaps that's why.

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I haven't had a blowout here; however, I have had quite a few flats. Almost invariably, it's from the tire picking up a nail or screw on the road. Shows up as a slow leak.

I can't recall seeing a streetsweeper here, perhaps that's why.

What's quite a few? I've had less than five in the last twenty years, and I think I got them all at work. 

In any event, you pick up a nail it does not make much difference what brand they are....

Remember re-treads? 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 4:39 PM, Lacessit said:

Complete b0llocks.  None of those cars would be anywhere near "unsafe" to drive at just 75% of their designed top speeds as you suggest, neither would a bump in the road "launch them into the air in the blink of an eye".   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Complete b0llocks.  None of those cars would be anywhere near "unsafe" to drive at just 75% of their designed top speeds as you suggest, neither would a bump in the road "launch them into the air in the blink of an eye".   

Are you even in Thailand? You obviously don't know the condition of many rural Thai roads.

On ignore now, I've had enough. Goodbye.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Haha 1

On 2/19/2022 at 4:39 PM, Lacessit said:

carcrash5.jpg

As with any machine, it's only as good as the operator.  And it doesn't take much to tip a car on it's roof.  Watch youtube 'idiots in cars' or any compilation of auto crashes and you'll be amazed how easy some flip at very low speeds.

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Are you even in Thailand? You obviously don't know the condition of many rural Thai roads.

On ignore now, I've had enough. Goodbye.

1.  Yes. Since 1994.

2.  I do know Thailand's roads, very well, Bangkok, the north east, Chang Mai  and down to Hat Yai.  Rural Thai roads in general do not launch any cars, driven within their designed capability, in the manner you bizarrely claimed!

3.  The Ignore List...the last resort of those lacking a rational response (not referring to you, of course!) who think that a lame attempt at admonishment by sequestration bothers anyone!

• Haha 1