A US Spy Founded the Bangkok Post

NotReallyHere

It always amazed me how 2 English speaking (printing) newspapers could survive in Thailand----when I first came here (pre internet) outside of BKK they used to get handed around  when they were still 2-3 days old, But now with everyone getting news either from internet or the vastly improved TV service here.  I dont even see any old copies sitting around the bars like I used to.

I wonder what the sale numbers are.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems the USA is meddling around in many countries. So this wouldn't exactly be a surprise.

I will watch the video and just to be sure I will still find it I put it on my YouTube watch later list. ???? 

Not only was the BKK Post underwritten [and partially founded] by clandestine American interest, but largely set up to serve the Thai ruling elite convention and promotional schemes - as the, by then forced into closure, Bangkok World was the antithesis of the usual state-run and promoted broadsheet - during it's day, the World was defiantly anti American wars in the region as well continuing to challenge, question and critique the over lording Thai establishment. Therefore.......it had to go. 

The romantic notion and fallacy that the old and long surviving Bangkok World easily morphed into the newly formed Bangkok Post group is a bit of a stretch on the reality of the times. 

Those were the days.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

Not only was the BKK Post underwritten [and partially founded] by clandestine American interest, but largely set up to serve the Thai ruling elite convention and promotional schemes - as the, by then forced into closure, Bangkok World was the antithesis of the usual state-run and promoted broadsheet - during it's day, the World was defiantly anti American wars in the region as well continuing to challenge, question and critique the over lording Thai establishment. Therefore.......it had to go. 

The romantic notion and fallacy that the old and long surviving Bangkok World easily morphed into the newly formed Bangkok Post group is a bit of a stretch on the reality of the times. 

Those were the days.

I'm shattered, this is so sad...I always thought Bernard Trink founded the Bangkok World.

(joking aside, he was the only reason I would read it..every Friday if I remember correctly). 

Agree---those were the days.

Edited by couchpotato
  • Like 2

Most people have developed their opinion of intel agencies via pulp fiction and Hollywood B-fare. Most of these views are naive and nonsensical. In addition, the rules governing the behavior of intel agencies have changed markedly since the 1960s, and really changed (in the US) after the Church Commission.

Most people would be shocked at all the hoops intel folks have to jump through to do most anything. The capabilities of the agency are incredible, but they are so tightly hamstrung in most instances as to be almost neutered.

49 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Now I watched the video. And what I miss is any evidence that the story is true. He just tells it like: That's it, I know it.

I have to admit that doesn't convince me...

I found another helpful link to back up Charlie's account. 

It's the Bangkok Post, itself.  I'm not allowed to post a direct link to the Bangkok Post (according to the Global Moderator above), but if you Google "Bangkok Post, 72 years, the birth" you should be directed to the page where the Post tells the story of how it all started...

38 minutes ago, NotReallyHere said:

What part of the story are you disputing?  What sounds unbelievable?

For what it is worth, the Wikipedia page for the Bangkok Post states "The Bangkok Post was founded by Alexander MacDonald, a former OSS officer, and his Thai associate, Prasit Lulitanond."  His obituary in the Los Angeles Times also credits him with being the founder of the Bangkok Post.  Here's a snippet...  "After the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, he joined the U.S. Office of Strategic Services, the precursor to the CIA, in the Pacific. He wound up commanding an OSS unit in the Burmese jungle in the final months of World War II, broadcasting Allied news into Japanese-occupied Thailand. After the war ended, he stayed and created the Bangkok Post with a polyglot staff recruited from among Thais who had worked with him in the jungle and Japanese from a detention camp who apparently were the only people in Thailand who understood how to run his printing press."

The Wikipedia page also references a book written by Alexander MacDonald:  "Bangkok Editor" (1949) New York, USA. Macmillan.  Maybe Charlie read the book?

I honestly didn't question his telling of the story.  After watching many other videos of his, I'm convinced he's a "straight shooter".  He also has a strong interest in psychology.  He's posted several videos debunking bogus research in psychology.  I think he is skeptical by nature and wouldn't post anything he had reason to question.  Naturally, you're threshold for believability might be higher.

I've communicated with him a few times through the comment section of YouTube.  If you really want to know his sources, you could probably get a response from him by dropping a comment there.

A more contemporary [2013] and somewhat insightful tome to read might be The Bangkok World, by Denis Horgan - former and long time managing editor of the BKK World in the 60s/70s. One might be disappointed in the read, as he they didn't get into the politics of the forced takeover, and subsequent nasty demise of The World, by the Bangkok Post gang. 

Still well researched and full of insightful memoirs of the time. 

Worth the effort to obtain this edition if one has any such interests along these lines. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NotReallyHere said:

What part of the story are you disputing?  What sounds unbelievable?

Fair comment, Ok, let me try again. I wrote "what I miss is any evidence that the story is true. He just tells it like: That's it, I know it. I have to admit that doesn't convince me."

That doesn't mean it's unbelievable or that I actively dispute it. It was the first video I ever saw from that guy and he just tells a story. He doesn't quote any sources or i.e. interviews former employees. That makes me skeptical Maybe he is an expert and maybe others here saw other videos from him with accurate information. If I see videos from people who I trust (more or less) then of course I am less skeptical.

Maybe I will watch some more of his videos and let's see what else he has to say.

I won't spend much time on that newspaper because they are irrelevant by now.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Fair comment, Ok, let me try again. I wrote "what I miss is any evidence that the story is true. He just tells it like: That's it, I know it. I have to admit that doesn't convince me."

That doesn't mean it's unbelievable or that I actively dispute it. It was the first video I ever saw from that guy and he just tells a story. He doesn't quote any sources or i.e. interviews former employees. That makes me skeptical Maybe he is an expert and maybe others here saw other videos from him with accurate information. If I see videos from people who I trust (more or less) then of course I am less skeptical.

Maybe I will watch some more of his videos and let's see what else he has to say.

I won't spend much time on that newspaper because they are irrelevant by now.

I can appreciate your general challenging skepticism [as we should all be this way instinctively]. 

I certainly wouldn't go by the random video disclosed by this random Farang Charley - regardless of who he might or might not be. 

There are some closeted circles that have long understood the background of how and why The Bangkok Post was born - it's all quite intriguing, actually. 

There is a wealth of material available, though extraordinarily difficult to dig up - it can be found. 

I might suggest, if one is really interested in this bit of sublime historic content, a self-researched project might be at hand.