Used Car Prices in Thailand

Tahoe

Looking for the equivalent of Kelley Blue Book in Thailand. I would like to sell a used car and would like to know the value by inputting the car make, model, Km, year, etc. Is there a website in Thailand that can provide that information? Thank you. 

11 minutes ago, 2long said:

his forum has plenty of people who have an opinion... and many who believe themselves to be experts.

Yea.. our forum is filled with jacks of all trades and master on none.. still, a many helpfully tips and advise have been dispensed over the years in these pages...

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, 2long said:

Can you describe the car here, maybe with a picture. Maybe we can offer some ideas.

This forum has plenty of people who have an opinion... and many who believe themselves to be experts. ????

Sorry, I do not have a picture ATM because I took the car to a body shop to repair dents and scratches. Basically it is a 2004 Honda Jazz Sport with 98,000KM.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tahoe said:

Sorry, I do not have a picture ATM because I took the car to a body shop to repair dents and scratches. Basically it is a 2004 Honda Jazz Sport with 98,000KM.

My car is a 2006 Jazz V-AT AS with 230k, km

I reckon your car's value is 200-250k THB

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I would never buy a vehicle previously owned by an Asian again. Some skimp on routine maintenance to save money, whereas Westerners are aware regular servicing is important.

"Some skimp on routine maintenance to save money"

Some Asians may do, most probably don't, as evidenced by the dealers' service departments always being busy and there not full of foreigners.    Just because someone is a westerner does not mean that their car is any better serviced than a local's car.

It is your choice to buy a car that does not have a good service history, no one forced you to buy!   If you want a car that has a service history, buy a car with a service history regardless of the nationality of the owner.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Having been burnt once, I would never buy a vehicle previously owned by an Asian again. Some skimp on routine maintenance to save money, whereas Westerners are aware regular servicing is important.

Simple economics says that buying a secondhand car does not favour the buyer. Sure the price may be lower than new but the unknown to the buyer is the vehicle history, how it's been driven and serviced and also whether (or not) the recorded mileage is true. Unless buying a "known" car from a trusted person, friend or family then buying new is the only option for me. That's in the both the UK and Thailand.

Edited by soi3eddie

40 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Simple economics says that buying a secondhand car does not favour the buyer. Sure the price may be lower than new but the unknown to the buyer is the vehicle history, how it's been driven and serviced and also whether (or not) the recorded mileage is true. Unless buying a "known" car from a trusted person, friend or family then buying new is the only option for me. That's in the both the UK and Thailand.

Quite true, although there are exceptions. I know a guy who is going back to America due to a heart ailment who has just sold his 1 yo Honda Jazz at a 100,000 baht discount to RRP, with only 8000 km on the odometer.

IMO it's rare that anyone does more than 20,000 km a year here, so a 2 yo car with 30,000 on the odometer is a reasonable proposition, more so if it has the reputation of being reliable and therefore harder to damage by neglecting maintenance.

Simple economics says a car is a depreciating asset, and the bulk of that depreciation occurs in the first 3 years of its life.

I bought a Toyota Vios from a Brit 8 years ago, 2006 model. 83,000 km on the odometer, although as you say, no way of knowing if that was genuine. Has not missed a beat, my Thai mechanic loves it because it is so simple to service. Now 174,000 km, I've been all over northern Thailand with it. 

I paid him 230,000 baht for it, I would probably get 80 - 100,000 baht for it now. I won't sell it until something major needs fixing. The Vios 1.5 engine and torque converter gearbox are pretty bulletproof if they are looked after.

By my reckoning, the car has cost me a bit under 20,000 baht/year in depreciation. To me, that's cheap motoring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mattd said:

That estimate is OTT in my opinion, a quick look at the market and 2004 Honda Jazz are retailing for 140K - 180K out of a dealers.

I'd agree, there seems to be less focus here on the year of the car until it hits 7 yo, when a yearly roadworthy test is required.

The odometer reading is the other focal point, which is why winding back is practised here.

If it is 140K to 180K at a dealer, IMO on a private sale it would only fetch 100 - 120K.

10 hours ago, Mattd said:

That estimate is OTT in my opinion, a quick look at the market and 2004 Honda Jazz are retailing for 140K - 180K out of a dealers.

I agree, 200-250 is too high, regardless of the kms. I sold my 2004 2.0 honda civic privately 3 years ago for about 220K. It had 250K on the clock but excellent condition for its age. 

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I'd agree, there seems to be less focus here on the year of the car until it hits 7 yo, when a yearly roadworthy test is required.

The odometer reading is the other focal point, which is why winding back is practised here.

If it is 140K to 180K at a dealer, IMO on a private sale it would only fetch 100 - 120K.

You get more selling it privately, than through a dealer. Dealers will really low-ball you.