The 2022 Honda PCX 160 Review

Pinot

7 hours ago, Woof999 said:

You might want to rethink your "pricing" overlay page...

I caught it and redid the page but that version is going to stay up for awhile. I did note the corrections in the Youtube notes. Thanks

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Still riding my 2012 PCX 150 and now it has 17,000 km, paid 79,000 baht than, good bike as new as the day i bought it had to change 2 tyres and that all...

I sold 2019 Hybrid for 80K and bought this for 100k. 10000 a year to drive a new bike every two years. Seems reasonable. I like the idea of always driving the new model, especially for 10k a year. 

The best thing financially is to drive the thing into the ground. Some people don't care about shiny new toys. I wonder what you'd think of this new model? It's pretty sweet. I think you'd be impressed.

The Honda PCX and Click are going to hold their value. 

How long would a PCX last here? 70k? I have no idea 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Still riding my 2012 PCX 150 and now it has 17,000 km, paid 79,000 baht than, good bike as new as the day i bought it had to change 2 tyres and that all...

The thing with PCX is how do you put groceries and stuff on it?

Never mind I just watched the video, it seems to have a compartment.

Edited by EricTh
  • Haha 1

Rode my PCX2016 up to 70,000 kms before I sold it. Great little city scooter in my opinion. The old 149cc engine was a  little  bit under powered but it was very fuel efficienct. My only concern back then was the lack of ABS on the older models. Not sure if the current one has single or dual channel ABS?

16 hours ago, EricTh said:

So what are the most important improvement of this new model over last year's model?

10cc but it's also has 4 valves instead of 2. 20% more horsepower and torque, more compression. It's a more refined engine. ABS on this model. Dash is better, easier to read. All subtle evolutionary changes that add up to better PCX. 

1 hour ago, alx123 said:

Rode my PCX2016 up to 70,000 kms before I sold it. Great little city scooter in my opinion. The old 149cc engine was a  little  bit under powered but it was very fuel efficienct. My only concern back then was the lack of ABS on the older models. Not sure if the current one has single or dual channel ABS?

Single channel front only. I'm not sure ABS is worth it. Brakes seem to be fine on previous models. New model is also not combi-brake which I thought was a good feature on older bikes. I let others debate if ABS belongs on a scooter. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Pinot said:

10cc but it's also has 4 valves instead of 2. 20% more horsepower and torque, more compression. It's a more refined engine. ABS on this model. Dash is better, easier to read. All subtle evolutionary changes that add up to better PCX. 

Single channel front only. I'm not sure ABS is worth it. Brakes seem to be fine on previous models. New model is also not combi-brake which I thought was a good feature on older bikes. I let others debate if ABS belongs on a scooter. 

ive used mine for 6 years and i agree that brakes are okay, but abs made a lot of difference,  at least for me. it's the only reason why iv'e sold mine and upgraded to an abs equipped bike, other bells and whistles of the latest models are not that relevant to my decision to change. 

Edited by alx123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinot said:

Sorry, what is the advantage of ABS versus conventional Scoopy brakes? I've never tried one.

13 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Sorry, what is the advantage of ABS versus conventional Scoopy brakes? I've never tried one.

Suppose to help in a skid. If you lock up your brakes you lose control. ABS will intermittently apply the brakes allowing extreme braking with control. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pinot said:

How long would a PCX last here? 70k? I have no idea 

Mine is more than 10 years old and 60k. Most of that mileage in the last five years. Still good enough for use on the island and for popping over to the mainland from time to time.

Edited by Tropicalevo

We bought a new PCX a few weeks ago.

Wife is very happy with it.       Feels a bit lifeless to me , but at 95kg & also being used to Big bikes - I suppose that is understandable. 

It is comfortable to ride, both 1 or 2 up. 

Nice review!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

I don't read Wikipedia, it sometimes have full of errors. Anyone can edit it, there are sometimes edit wars when two people don't agree with each other.

I don't read Forums, it sometimes have full of errors. Anyone can edit it, there are sometimes edit wars when two people don't agree with each other.

I kept your original message, just replaced Wikipedia by Forums

lol

Edited by Fab5BKK

1 hour ago, Fab5BKK said:

I don't read Forums, it sometimes have full of errors. Anyone can edit it, there are sometimes edit wars when two people don't agree with each other.

I kept your original message, just replaced Wikipedia by Forums

lol

If you don't trust forums, then why are you here?

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

If you don't trust forums, then why are you here?

This very question's for you my dear... Don't you understand English ? Irony? Humour?

In clear:

if you don't trust Wikipedia (because of what you wrote...), how could you place your trust on Forums (where people will express their own opinions, based on their own beliefs...)?

I'm quite puzzled (understatement!)

Edited by Fab5BKK

ABS:

On a motorcycle, an anti-lock brake system prevents the wheels of a powered two wheeler from locking during braking situations. Based on information from wheel speed sensors the ABS unit adjusts the pressure of the brake fluid in order to keep traction during deceleration to avoid accidents. Motorcycle ABS helps the rider to maintain stability during braking and to decrease the stopping distance. It provides traction even on low friction surfaces. While older ABS models are derived from cars, recent ABS is the result of research, oriented on the specifics of motorcycles in case of size, weight, and functionality. National and international organizations evaluate Motorcycle ABS as an important factor to increase safety and reduce motorcycle accident numbers. The European Commission passed legislation in 2012 that made the fitment with ABS for all new motorcycles above 125 cm3 to be mandatory from 1 January 2016. Consumer Reports said in 2016 that "ABS is commonly offered on large, expensive models, but it has been spreading to several entry-level sportbikes and midsized bikes".[31]

History of motorcycle ABS

In 1988, BMW introduced an electronic/hydraulic ABS for motorcycles, ten years after Daimler Benz and Bosch released the first four-wheel vehicle ABS for series production. Motorcycles of BMW K100 series were optionally equipped with the ABS, which added 11 kg to the bike. It was developed together with FAG Kugelfischer and regulated the pressure in the braking circuits via a plunger piston.[32][33] Japanese manufacturers followed with an ABS option by 1992 on the Honda ST1100 and the Yamaha FJ1200.[34]

Continental presented its first Motorcycle Integral ABS (MIB) in 2006. It has been developed in cooperation with BMW and weighed 2.3 kg.[35] While the first generation of motorcycle ABS weighed around 11 kg. The current generation (2011) presented by Bosch in 2009 weighs 0.7 kg (ABS base) and 1.6 kg (ABS enhanced) with integral braking

• Haha 1

Basic principle

Wheel speed sensors mounted on the front and rear wheel constantly measures the rotational speed of each wheel and delivers this information to an Electronic Control Unit (ECU). The ECU detects two things: 1) if the deceleration of one wheel exceeds a fixed threshold and 2) whether the brake slip, calculated based on information of both wheels, rises above a certain percentage and enters an unstable zone. These are indicators for a high possibility of a locking wheel. To countermeasure these irregularities the ECU signals the hydraulic unit to hold or to release pressure. After signals show the return to the stable zone, the pressure is increased again. Past models used a piston for the control of the fluid pressure. Most recent models regulate the pressure by rapidly opening and closing solenoid valves. While the basic principle and architecture has been carried over from passenger car ABS, typical motorcycle characteristics have to be considered during the development and application processes. One characteristic is the change of the dynamic wheel load during braking. Compared to cars, the wheel load changes are more drastic, which can lead to a wheel lift up and a fall over. This can be intensified by a soft suspension. Some systems are equipped with a rear-wheel lift-off mitigation functionality. When the indicators of a possible rear lift-off are detected, the system releases brake pressure on the front wheel to counter this behavior.[39] Another difference is that in the case of the motorcycle the front wheel is much more important for stability than the rear wheel. If the front wheel locks up between 0.2-0.7s, it loses gyrostatic forces and the motorcycle starts to oscillate because of the increased influence of side forces operating on the wheel contact line. The motorcycle becomes unstable and falls.

• Haha 1

Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)

Piston Systems: The pressure release in this system is realized through the movement of a spring-tensioned piston. When pressure should be released, a linear motor pulls back the plunger piston and opens up more space for the fluid. The system was used for example in the ABS I (1988) and ABS II (1993) of BMW. The ABS II differed in size and an electronically controlled friction clutch was mounted on the shaft instead of a plunger. Further displacement sensors record the travel distance of the piston to allow the control unit a more precise regulation. Honda also uses this system of pressure modulation for big sports and touring bikes.[40][41]

Valve and Pump Systems: The main parts which are part of the pressure modulation system are solenoid inlet and outlet valves, a pump, motor, and accumulators/reservoirs. The number of the valves differs from model to model due to additional functionalities and the number of brake channels. Based on the input of the ECU, coils operate the inlet and outlet valves. During pressure release, the brake fluid is stored in accumulators. In this open system approach, the fluid is then brought back in the brake circuit via a pump operated by a motor that is felt through pulsation on the brake lever.

• Haha 1

Safety

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) conducted a study on the effectiveness of ABS for motorcycles and came to the conclusion that motorcycles above 250 cm3 without ABS are 37 percent more likely to be involved in fatal crashes and a study of the Swedish Road Administration came to the conclusion that 48 percent of all severe and fatal motorcycle accidents above 125 cm3 could be avoided due to motorcycle ABS.[48]

These studies caused the EU commission to initiate a legislative process in 2010 that was passed in 2012 and led to ABS for motorcycles above 125 cm3 becoming mandatory from 2016 onwards. Organizations like the Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile and the Institute of advanced Motorists (IAM) demanded the implementation of this legislation already for 2015.[49] On the other hand, some motorcycle riders are protesting against a compulsory ABS for all bikes because they call for a possibility to switch the system off, for off-road usage or for other reasons.[50][51][52] In 2011 the United Nations (UN) started the Decade of Action for Road Safety. The main goal is to save 5 million lives until 2020 through global cooperation.[53] One part of their global plan is to: Encourage universal deployment of crash avoidance technologies with proven effectiveness such as Electronic Stability Control and Anti-Lock Braking Systems in motorcycles.

• Haha 1